don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. corneliab

corneliab

Man, these "debug" features are totally nuts. What a cool thing to include- the game's worth it for this alone.

Pretty novel way of breathing life into a rather simple game.

2. Miles3298

Miles3298

If this comes to consoles in the future, I will without any traces of a doubt be getting this and I guess any future ports if they're as beefed up as this one. If not, I may have to get myself acquainted with some sort of portable device. I never admired Sonic 1 as much as the rest but what I've seen of the stuff y'all did with it is nothing short of fantastic.

Only thing missing is a Classic Heroes kind of option, unless that also exists and no one has shown it yet.

3. It's weird to be on this site and see people content and not tearing something apart. Sega should pay attention.

4. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    HOLY SHIT.

[​IMG]
    SPLATS!

[​IMG]
    If you push the ball down a hill and let it pick up speed, it'll burst through walls!

5. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Are they network locked? If not, I may have to get in touch with you and arrange something because that's the best price I've ever seen for the otherwise > $500 iPhone 5.

Also, I can test the game on my 4th gen iPod Touch and provide a video if you all want. I can also do the same with my iPad but there's no point - any game runs perfectly on that thing.

6. dsrb

dsrb

Makes sense. I hadn't realised Stealth was on record as having written an FM engine, and if that Pastebin listed the size of the archive, I forgot to check it. :v: Thanks for the info!

7. You-Are-Pwned

You-Are-Pwned

There could easily be more OGG files, but I can't get their filenames, since they are in GameConfig.bin inside the RSDK file or somewhere else.
    Here are some more references to the source code:

Code (Text):
    1. /Users/Stephen/Desktop/sonic 1/05-10-13-international/Sonic1/Sonic1/RetroEngine/AudioPlayback.c
    2. /Users/Stephen/Desktop/sonic 1/05-10-13-international/Sonic1/Sonic1/RetroEngine/TextureLoader.c
    3. /Users/Stephen/Desktop/sonic 1/05-10-13-international/Sonic1/Sonic1/Game Center/GameCenterManager.m
    4. /Users/sreeram.v/Library/Mail Downloads/SEGA iOS SDK VER 3.3.3/SGAgent/SGSDKFBRequest.m
    5. /Users/sreeram.v/Library/Mail Downloads/SEGA iOS SDK VER 3.3.3/SGAgent/SGSDKSBJsonParser.m

8. Tanks

Tanks

Methinks we now know Stealth's first name. :P

9. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Has anyone got this working on Android 2.3.7 (Gingerbread)?
    I can get the menu to launch, but when I start a new game it exits and goes back to the Android home screen.
    If I go back, I can see a saved game. If I click on that, the title card for GHZ appears, and the music starts playing, but then it goes back to the Android home screen.

I've tried resetting my phone and wiping and reinstalling everything. I am using Cyanogen 7, so I have wiped and reinstalled the latest version, but no luck.

Sonic CD works fine, so I thought this should be okay as well.

(I bought it for ipod as well, but my ipod is too old!).

10. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    His name is on his site - http://www.headcannon.com/about

11. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    There is one thing that I slightly dislike now that I played this on my retina ipad and that is when the game is running the resize method makes it a little blurry, it's not so bad on my smaller phone but on a 10 inch tablet it can look rather messy that close to your face.

Any chance there is a way to let the game scale without some kind of smooth filter? I think sonic cd did the same thing but I played that more on my 360 then ipad.

12. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    Maybe it's just me, but this game looks graphically tweaked in a lot of areas.

13. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    http://www.sonicretro.org/2013/05/have-an-extensive-look-at-sonic-1-iosandroids-debug-features/

Does Retro have a Youtube channel? if so, can this video be uploaded there too? love to show this off but Twich.tv's player can be really slow and laggy at times.

14. Dan Lioneye

Dan Lioneye

UK
    Hory shet, new areas in Spring Yard?

Mind = Blown.

15. Tanks

Tanks

Then who the fuck is Stephen? o_O

16. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    The music is all streaming, it'd defeat the purpose of a remastering it if it wasn't done in an DAW and mixed down to a stereo track. Stealth's been using the RSDK to work with me on Sonic 1, but he doesn't actually work on the Retro-Engine itself, he's got his own E02 engine that he's developing/maintaining.

Stephen's a producer at SOA. I don't exactly know how they feel about you prying into that stuff but obviously iOS builds have to signed by the company selling them.

EDIT:

I should also say, I'm glad everyone is having lots of fun with debug mode - I died when I saw a part of the video stream where Final Zone was turned into a death room :v:

17. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    So regarding the Sonic 3 monitors, 7 emeralds, and whatnot...

Is there any way to actually ACTIVATE this stuff in a real, saved game? I'd love to properly play through the game with the shields, collecting all the emeralds as I go. I've been thinking maybe setting Time Trials might do it, but I'm down to about 35 minutes with nothing showing up.

18. sebmal

sebmal

I am the man! Oldbie
    So this thing is fucking awesome and I just found out about it today and this has probably been asked before, but any plans to release this on something that isn't a phone? I'd love to play this on something with actual buttons.

19. I think they're playing it smart now, doing the mobile version first and THEN fixing any bugs and getting feedback and THEN doing the console/PC versions.

...unless Nintendo now holds the rights to this in which case inb4 Sonic 2 and 3 Remaster Wii U and 3DS Exclusive. :P

20. corneliab

corneliab

It's kinda funny how Knuckles was given a different credits demo script even though he just ends up dying during the Labyrinth reel anyway. When you get a game over and try playing the game afterwards, there's no music and the hud is gone.