don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I had a hard time with Flynn's early run, to be honest. Yes, the comic quality increased pretty greatly overall, but in an attempt to go the opposite way of Penders, I think that he skewed a little TOO silly at the very beginning. Though he eventually found a very nice medium between silly and serious eventually. But Croctobot (the first robot Sonic fought under Flynn's writing) just didn't do it for me. Things REALLY picked up when it came to the Scourge story arc, going to Moebius and whatnot. Evil Amy was pretty terrifying. After that is when things really picked up quality-wise, though.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I can honestly say I've enjoyed Flynn's run almost 100%. It makes me feel bad that I haven't bought a single comic and have simply watched them off of Youtube, but I paid plenty for the crap I read back in the day.

Amazing isn't it though. in about a year from now, Flynn will have written basically 100 issues of the main comic. Mind boggling how long this thing has been in existence.

3. Hukos

Hukos

I think it was #175 that said to me "This comic is awesome again". Yeah, the conclusion to that arc wasn't the best thing ever, but Robotnik being a credible threat for once and actually doing shit, and beating the crap out of Sonic while he was at it with a "This is why you suck speech" was mind-blowingly awesome after the shit the comic went through with Penders.

Then Sonic returned the favor later on and that was even more awesome.

4. Tylinos

Tylinos

Solicits are up from:
    http://www.newsarama.com/17819-mega-man-sonic-comics-have-big-plans-post-crossover.html
    http://www.destructoid.com/sonic-is-a-pirate-covers-for-sonic-universe-55-253740.phtml

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (No actual solicit yet)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: Added covers.

5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    So we obviously aren't doing a Sonic Rush Adventure adaption since that ship has sailed already even though we didn't get to see it. So I wonder what it will be about.

...No mention of the crossover in the MegaMan solicit though? Was Sonic' world the only one affected then?

6. Tylinos

Tylinos

This is the second Mega Man issue after the crossover. The first was in the last set of solicits. Though that one didn't say much about the crossover aftermath either.

7. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Oh god the herp derp Blaze and Marine on that Universe cover.

8. So, we're getting another SU arc written by Yardley, with Blaze as at least part of the main focus? I may actually be excited; I hadn't been too eager to read the Babylon Arc, but by the halfway point, Yardley's writing had won me over. And I wasn't really all that interested in the Rogues. I *am* interested to read a Blaze story, though. She's seriously under-utilized, both in the games and the comics. A little curious to see who the villain will be, especially since Yardley's the one who made the Battle Lord so awesome, at least in my opinion. (Seeing as we have Bark and Bean in this arc, too, I'm gonna venture an extremely-premature guess and say that Nack may have some part in this, whether as a major villain or a minor one) I just hope that we don't get an over-saturation of pirate puns and jokes.

I agree with GagaMan, though; the characters on the coins look a little... off. Maybe it's Yardley's pencils, or maybe the inks. But, that 252 cover. That is some seriously awesome art. A simple concept, but beautifully executed. Bates seems to be hitting my favorite covers list a lot lately.

9. Dr. Corndog

Dr. Corndog

Looked back at my comics and realized the most recent one I had before was in the late 80s. So, I was mostly remembering #75 and the issues immediately after it, which I liked. The Sonic Adventure adaptation was kind of sloppy.

10. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    If I'm thinking of the right issues, I liked the SA arc as a kid. The Station Square issues were kinda boss to little me.

11. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I thought it was good under the restraints they had (forced to do it, stop what they were doing in the comic prior, using the Japanese version since the US one wasn't out and having someone on the team do translations for them as they went).

12. Tylinos

Tylinos

Guess who makes a cameo in Worlds Collide Part 6?

[​IMG]

Also, Off-Panel:

[​IMG]

Images courtesy of Stadium's CC14.

EDIT: Universe #55 Solicit:

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That made me very happy actually. I'm glad he's still mentioned/referenced, proves that Ian doesn't want to write him out of the comic.

14. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Here's the usual spoilers, courtesy of ChaosControl14

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Fixed your image tags. You need to have a [ img ] in front of the URL and a [ /img ] behind it.

[​IMG]

I see what they did there. =P

16. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    Yeah sorry, just noticed that. SSMB uses different tags, it seems.

17. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    Bump for solicits.

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/06/exclusive-covers-and-variants-revealed.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Tylinos

Tylinos

Uncle Chuck on the cover? And apparently a connecting cover set based on the extra leg there? Unexpected.

(Paul Kaminski corrected over at Bumbleking that Ian's writing Countdown to Chaos, by the way, not Tracy. Someone screwed up the solicit)

Also, the Mega Man solicits because why not:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Interesting, Uncle Chuck has had almost a de-design, and besides changing his socks he no longer is wearing any of the things he wore pre Worlds Collide (He wore a hippie coat/glasses). I wonder why there are all these redesigns all of the sudden (Even Mighty and Ray got some, and it looks like they altered Bean's shoes slightly). Also that cut off character's shoe kind of looks like Sally's new shoes but with a different color scheme.

And wow when was the last time the comic brought up the Mystic Ruins? I am really curious to see just how much they decided to change this time after Worlds Collide ends.

On a side note, those company character variant covers have and will continue to look just dreadful. I get why they do it but aren't the characters that are already drawn on the cover enough to catch the eye?

20. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    These covers that have been releasing as of late are far too nice and not SEGA related. I have a feeling SEGA is going to meddle in and try to force changes on at least 1 of them if not all.

Sorry if I sound pessimistic. but with SEGA pushing game only characters on covers lately its being less and less likely we will ever see good covers that arnt meddled with ever again.