don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Why not save about $300 and get an iPod Touch?

2. Saidian

Saidian

England
    Blast From The Fast (Fangame)
    Worth more than it's being sold for that's for sure! Being able to increase the size of the controls is a total godsend to me, can now play this properly.

For the love of god Taxman/Stealth, do not rush Sonic 2. Also, would love to see Sonic 3&K and a Sonic '5' down the road but again, no rush :)

3. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Watching the Twitch video up on the main page and listening to the remastered music, the sound of the open cymbal seems to have become really fucking grating. Other than that, there is some cool new content like + - the new paths and secrets for Sonic+Tails, Tails, and Knuckles in Marble Zone   . If I had an Android/iOS anything, I'd pick this up immediately.

4. dsrb

dsrb

The most significant thing I've noticed so far about the music is that the basses don't seem to be quite so punchy, which is a shame. This might apply to other instruments too, but I didn't do any side-by-side comparisons in that depth. Presumably this is due to subtle differences in the new FM driver; at least, I like to presume it's an FM driver rather than samples! Also, the sampled snare seems to be more trebly, probably due to not being passed through the YM2612's idiosyncratic DAC.

Disclaimer: I might be completely imagining these differences. However, I don't think so. :P

5. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    You're not imagining it. Everything is clearer, and pretty much all the sampled drums seemed more trebley, especially the cymbal.

I would give my left shoe to be able to apply custom EQ to the drums.

6. You-Are-Pwned

You-Are-Pwned

While I wasn't able to extract the Data.rsdk yet, here's the partial directory listing:

http://pastebin.com/tyKr1n9u

7. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    The monitors with emeralds in reminds me of sonic 1 sms, which in turn makes me want to see a retro engine version of the master system sonic 1 and 2.

8. dsrb

dsrb

Phew :v:

Yeah, the new engine is not without benefits to clarity, but it does seem to lose some of the characteristics of the YM2612 (or its emulations). That especially affects basses, seemingly. Hardly the end of the world, but y'know, FM is practically all about bass! :P

9. AbsoluteG

AbsoluteG

disgusted by origins plus Oldbie
    A black Hole
    life and shit..., a sonic 1 remake
    Yeah, that was basically what I was doing. No Save mode. It wasn't working before for some strange reason, but It works now. So it's good. It's quite a blast dicking around with the Debug stuff

10. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    This. I have an iPod touch 4th gen alongside an older Samsung Convoy 2 and it serves nearly all my needs on the go. The only thing I don't have is access to online features of iOS apps without being around wifi. I just got paid for that job I mentioned before so I plan to put some money into my iTunes account and buy this game soon, so I'll be able to confirm how well it runs on such a device before too long.

11. Tanks

Tanks

HNNNNG dat Data/Music/

12. dsrb

dsrb

So, I wonder if the in-game tracks are .oggs too. . . How do the Speed Shows work: do they support or contradict this possiblity?

13. Montblanc

Montblanc

Wow I was expecting some easter egg, but never imagined the game will have this ammount of beta stuff hidden. It gives me hope about the possibility to see some scrapped level in the S2 release. Especially one with green orbs :ssh:

BTW it worked with all the controls I've tested: a bluetooth gamepad, the physical keyboard of a phone (WASD), and even with the buttons of one of these cheap Android handheld consoles.

Any possibility to see an update for the Android version with the missing features (the leaderboard and achievements) using the new Google play games service?

14. Xeeynamo

Xeeynamo

London
    And I don't think that this time we can unpack it easily. When RSDK want to load a file from Data.rsdk, it makes an MD5 checksum from the path+filename and it search from the encrypted file table the hash to gain the information about the file. Probably the single files are also encrypted from theirs MD5 filenames too, so you can't extract anything without to know how to read the file table and without to know the path+filename to extract. There are some games that uses similar techniques (FF and KH games on PS2, Medievil Resurrection) and they was never fully unpacked. Thanks Taxman to give us this big challange :)

I don't think so. The game archive is too small to contain ogg tracks, plus it seems that Stealth wrote a synthesizer for Retro-Engine. So probably they simply taken the original MD tracks and attached to the engine with few changes (and the synthesized musics can be stretched, so the speedup system is easy to implement).

15. Machenstein

Machenstein

I'd love to see Master System zones integrated into the Genesis version. We got to bridge the gap, ya know. It's a jungle out there, but the sky's the limit.

16. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I need a cell phone, plus I am typing from a second gen Touch.

If a new Touch would save me 300 from an iPhone price then Best Buy should give me one for free considering they have iPhone 5s for $200. :v:

17. Pengi

Pengi

How many levels have
    new paths for Tails and/or Knuckles?

18. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    What :V... I'm using a LGP990 (aka, an Optimus 2X) and it's running perfectly here. Android ICS.

HNNHGGHGGGH I hate LZ Act 3 on a normal pad, I haven't managed to clear this one on my 4.3'' Touchscreen yet :V

Also, if you die once, as you may know, no rings at all. Only a shield :O... So you're pretty much screwed :v:

--

By the way, for those who would like to run it on PC, I managed to get it working on BlueStacks at 1080p which looks amazing on my 23'' LED. Still, you will need to purchase the game legally from the Google Play Store (Which I did on my Optimus 2X before), link your google account on the play store and then just run bluestacks. Menus look amazing at 1080p, and playing the game with a keyboard is godlike compared to a touchscreen :v:

Still, would buy it on Steam if it was there. Just for the good of the cause.

A few 1080p Screenshots down below:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just Amazing.

19. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    So anyone know what the [inlinespoiler]spike monitor[/inlinespoiler] does, or is it non functional? If it is non functional, I wonder if it was maybe found with some of the original S1 assets by Mr.Taxman....if he even had access to anything.

Same with the [inlinespoiler]emerald monitor[/inlinespoiler], doesn't seem to do anything.

20. AbsoluteG

AbsoluteG

disgusted by origins plus Oldbie
    A black Hole
    life and shit..., a sonic 1 remake
    [inlinespoiler]It enables/disables the spike bug.[/inlinespoiler]