don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. From Sonic Stadium:

I really hope a console update comes soon...

EDIT: Turns out this is a fake. >:

2. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    It wouldn't be complete without at least 1 pre-release hoax I guess.

IIRC there was some Sonic CD XBLA "alpha" footage someone made before someone legitimately leaked some footage :v:

3. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Yeah, that's the image Skyler had posted on FB. The scoundrel.

4. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    :v:

5. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    God dammit, Skyler! :v:

6. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Even though a fake has no impact on the actual release, it still makes the wait more frustrating. I can't speak for everyone, but I certainly find it easier to wait for something when I'm not thinking about it.

7. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    I'm no doubt looking forward to this, but I'm certainly not hyped, it's just an enhanced rerelease of the original 2 games and not a whole new game (in which case I'd just overlook it). No need to hold your breath, give them time to make sure it's in a polished state.

I'd definitely like to use the upcoming official enhanced tracks in the original games in an emu via plugin. The demos would almost cut it, but they're older revisions of the compositions themselves (especially S2's music is different), and being just demos, not the most effort was made into making it sound perfect. The general instrumentation and style of the demos should definitely be kept, but updated to reflect the final versions of the songs.

8. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I'll be getting this on Android, iPod too old to play it, but at least I'm supporting Taxman!

9. RedMetallix

RedMetallix

Supreme Thunder Member
    A desk.
    What? Don't be silly.
    Well, it appears that we'll be getting this soon.

The original Sonic 1 Port is no longer on the app store. Wonder why they completely removed the listing?

10. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    Random guess is that, the original port was $3. This version will likely be $5. Since it can be upgraded for free, they're probably preventing people from buying the original right before the update is released, and paying $2 less.

11. RedMetallix

RedMetallix

Supreme Thunder Member
    A desk.
    What? Don't be silly.
    I doubt that, Sonic CD is only like... $3, right? I can't imagine they would increase the price.

12. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    @ Taxman and Stealth

Just want to say that if you need more time to get extra features in like transparencies replacing dithering or a new virtual synth/tracker for clearer real time music and sounds then I'm very happy to wait.

13. It's going to be $2.99 upon release.

14. Saidian

Saidian

England
    Blast From The Fast (Fangame)
    Looks like I bought the port just in time, though I'd still pay for this even if it was more expensive

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I decided to go out and buy the crappy Backbone version when this was revealed, just so I could see how bad it was before it got replaced. I'll do the same with S2 shortly too. And if that results in cheap games, then that's all cool.

16. InfinityAlex

InfinityAlex

Artist, animator and musician
    Wigan
    Sonic Origins: Amy & Kaboom Runners
    To be honest, I'm interested to see whether the spike behaviour for Sonic 1 will be changed. Granted, it makes the game stand out a bit in the series but it lead to many a cheap death. And thinking of a particular cheap death, I now wonder if they decide to make the GHZ pillars solid. Come on, we all know that invincibility abuse has killed us in that area at one point or another. (I'm not making my trial posts particularly substantial, am I? I should probably plan more after posting this one)

17. Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Renard Oldbie
    Will do.
    I wonder if the special stages will get the SCD treatment (real 3D). Sonic 1 could use a smooth rotating surface, Sonic 2 could use some z-buffering and smooth 3D pipes. Maybe.

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I definitely prefer leaving the spike damage as it is -- note also that spikes are a much, much less common obstacle in S1 than in the later games.

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Also, judging from that Mystic Cave spike pit, I'd say even Sonic 2 was designed around that.

EDIT:
    Not sure if I've already pointed that out here, but they did just that in Sonic Jam. I'm guessing this version is based on that, since it's the last official port made by the original devs.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Is that Mystic Cave spike pit there for that reason though or is it to cover up a glitch, much like how iirc Sonic 2 for the Game Gear and Master System didn't actually have death via pits but rather the bottoms of the levels were coated in spikes