don't click here

Sonic Rivals 2 Test Sample (U)/Pre-Production (E)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Orengefox, May 6, 2013.

1. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    Feels like we've covered this before doesn't it? That's because we have [Here] but for some reason it wasn't properly documented onto Retro's database at the time. Leaving it almost falling off the face of the internet. Now is a good time as any to finally properly document this onto the database.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Download Sonic Rivals 2 Test Sample (U)

Download Sonic Rivals 2 Pre-Production (E)

Looking at this from a distance, they appear to be the same build, just regionally different as well as being labeled differently (Test Sample/Pre-Production). Their creation date and contents seem to indicate it. Both the Test Sample (U)/Pre-Production (E) build are somewhat different compared to the final US/EUR build. While the Test Sample (U) build has been somewhat taken apart (when it was first posted), it wasn't entirely taken apart to see what was different. And now we've got this Pre-Production (E) build we've yet to take apart. So there you have it. Dig in folks!

One last thing regarding the Pre-Production (E) build of Sonic Rivals 2. There's apparently loads of copies of this particular disc. Case in point, some dude here on eBay is selling one off [Here] at a so-so price. I was speaking to a guy not long ago who's big on his PSP stuff. From what he gathered, these copies were also given out to press reviewers as well which is interesting because usually press reviewers get promo versions of the game (which you're about to read up on).

Sonic Rivals & Sonic Rivals 2 Promo Version (Scans):

As an added bonus. I have here scans to the promo version of both Sonic Rivals & Sonic Rivals 2. These are just the final builds with a different disc label. They come in a small plastic case which includes a special folded art cover. Each side of the folded art cover has got something (either information or artwork). These promos would have been given out to press reviewers either at the time of their public release date or after their public release date.

Sonic Rivals Promo Disc Scan
    Sonic Rivals Promo Art Cover 1
    Sonic Rivals Promo Art Cover 2
    Misc Sonic Rivals Scan 1
    Misc Sonic Rivals Scan 2
    Sonic Rivals 2 Promo Disc Scan
    Sonic Rivals 2 Promo Art Cover 1
    Sonic Rivals 2 Promo Art Cover 2
    Misc Sonic Rivals 2 Scan 1
    Misc Sonic Rivals 2 Scan 2

That's all from me for now. Enjoy! =)

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Ooooh, very nice. So what kind of specifics are we looking at in terms of differences?

3. Graxer

Graxer

I actually managed to obtain the Sonic Rivals 2 promo disc myself and was wondering what exactly it was, so it is good to now know. I also have the promo disc of the Mega Drive Collection. I don't actually have a PSP, so I have never actually played them and they have been lying on my shelf for a few years now.

4. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    Well I can definitely confirm within the filesystem of both the Test Sample/Pre-Production build, there is an additional file (located in *.ISO\PSP_GAME\USRDIR\STREAMS) titled "TEST_ROOM1.STR" which isn't in the final build. Every other file is the same as the ones in the final US/EUR build (including a file titled "TEST_ROOM2.STR"). Although there appears to be very little differences in the filesystem, if you were to do comparison via Hex, there are all sorts of offset differences. Unfortunately I don't know what these offset differences would translate to gameplay wise. That's why it'd be worth having someone (who's good with this stuff) look into it.

The Pre-Production build seems to be quite large in size mainly because of the way it's been structured. There are loads of 00's in between much of the data from the looks of things. The Pre-Production build also contains a persons name. This name being "Tim Quinn". According this link (http://ca.linkedin.com/in/timquinn), we see in one section the fallowing information relating to Tim Quinn:

I'll see about taking any pictures and/or video footage of said differences if possible.

5. woun

woun

Change your world Member
    I get someone from Test Room 01 and I'm can play on JPCSP. Recordered on youtube:
    http://youtu.be/lTDab4FVS90

6. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    This looks like those bad SSB Brawl stages everyone made :psyduck:

7. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Why do people still record videos with the fucking mouse cursor on them?

8. Skaarg

Skaarg

You should tell the person there is more to the level than that. If I recall (I'd have to check my copy) you go left and there is more level to "explore".

My April Fools thread last year (which sadly didn't get much attention) has decent pictures of it minus a few graphical glitches from the screenshot plugin I was using at the time.

Thread

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can't progress any further (to the best of my knowledge) than the point in the last picture.

To be honest the lack of documentation is probably mostly my fault. I intended to do it ages ago and it just became one of those things that got put on the shelf and forgot about. Hopefully my images and Orengefox's awesome work looking into this pre-release can help get it more documented. If I have time now that I'm done with college maybe I can be of more assistance as well.