don't click here

"Sonic Exodus" Development Thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by NickonAquaMagna, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Deef

Deef

Wow, you found someone to make your designs real, you must be pretty happy.
    Looks great too, love the environment. Great work Dashtube.

Regarding the physics, can he run upside-down indefinitely?

2. Dashtube

Dashtube

'Cause I find memes funny Member
    Sonic Exodus
    So here's a trailer that I made for my own channel to promote the project's main channel.
    *Fair Warning: Sanic*

http://youtu.be/J-Do_n-Hcls

-

You should only be able to run on slopes, walls or upside-down if you have enough momentum.

3. Here's an introduction to the project. We'll, uh.... manage the audio better in future updates.

4. Sorry, guys. Dashtube is gonna reupload this video with better audio.

5. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    The audio is fine.
    I just don't understand why the hell did you make the video. All that you've said could've been said in the form of text and it would also be way more enjoyable for most people which english isn't their native language, since reading is easier than listening. Most of the things you said we already knew, if not all of them. There was no update in the video, not even new information, I mean what was the point of the video?

6. Well, keep in mind that while we've told YOU guys a lot of these things, the people watching on youtube have no clue about it. This is an introduction to the island.

I guess "update" was a poor choice of words. I just don't know what else to call these videos, and I certainly don't want to call them "vlogs", since people don't seem to like those.

7. Okay.... from now on, instead of calling them updates, or chapters, or whatever, we'll just call them "Sonic Exodus Development- (insert point of interest here)" and then talk about a certain aspect of it in each video.

8. This should clear things up for a lot of people who have been rubbed the wrong way by a certain part of the island (you'd be surprised). We also get to see some of the great tweaks Dashtube has made to existing parts of the island. It's looking better all the time.

Also, you wouldn't believe how many people have come our way on youtube, the sega forum, and even here offering to compose music for us. I'm tired of turning them all down (we can only say yes to one person), so we're going to hold a contest in the coming months for that. Just seems like the best course of action to take to ensure that we find the best music we can for this.

9. Faseeh

Faseeh

May I ask why? I mean, yeah, you may get a lot of awesome people ya know.

Anyways, I like that little underwater section, all cool. :D

10. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    That little trick with the loop was neat and all but a lot of these projects just aren't sitting well with me. They look like oversized Adventure Fields with little sense of direction. That's probably what you're going for though. Guess I just wish someone would start making A-to-B levels with GDK. And fix the damn camera. Feel like I'm watching Skyrim on fast forward.

11. You see, people? This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Anyway, Areo... You're not the first to make that assumption... but it is wrong. Please watch the video I linked in my previous post to clear things up.

Because it's only this one level.

12. Relick

Relick

England
    C++/DX10 Engine (not sonic related)
    I really like how the game is coming along. Although as Faseeh said already there is no need to have only one musician. Taking a page out of ATS's book wouldn't be a bad idea because you can then get lots of different takes on the levels and see what fits.

13. Dashtube

Dashtube

'Cause I find memes funny Member
    Sonic Exodus
    Have you ever tried the free fully-adjustable camera of Sonic GDK? Sure, it doesn't look like the smoothest most dynamic camera work ever, but after having played GDK related games be it for testing purposes or just trying out a fangame of some sorts I think the free camera approach is alot better than a fixed camera just because of how flexible it is. And I think It really helps when trying to tell how far exactly a platform is on the go. 'Cause you know how dem 3D platformers go when it comes to precise platforming.
    Anyways, maybe we could figure out a middle ground or something later on but I can't promise anything at the moment.

14. Loving what I'm seeing guys...

About the free camera, ideally it shouldn't be used; I mean, dozens of different custom cams should be used, each for a part of the level.
    Would it be worth the time for cams setup? Probably yes for the average player, but it's too much work and tedious.

Btw Nick, why are you looking for "programmers"? Aren't you looking for "level builders"?
    You don't need to be a programmer to create a map; did you try to open the Unreal Editor and add stuff? Quite easy.

15. I personally can't relate. When I play a game, I just like to be in control of EVERYTHING, including where the camera goes. I don't like it when I'm forced to look a certain way, I just want more freedom. But hey, that's just me.

Anyway, what I mean to say is..... "manpower". We aren't considering any other levels at the moment because I just can't expect this one guy to build an entire game for me... and I can't do it because I'm too preoccupied with making comics every day. If we can get other people on board who can do what Dashtube does, maybe we can add more to the game.

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Yes, I have. And it feels like I'm playing Skyrim on fast-forward.

17. Some people just like being able to move the camera on their own.

18. Faseeh

Faseeh

Oh, I see. Alright then.

19. Why not pull a Super Mario 64 and do both? I personally hate it when I have to be constantly adjusting the camera all the time, especially when I'm playing a fast game like Sonic.

20. BEHOLD..... underwater gameplay.