don't click here

SADX/SA1 Hacking/Modding

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MainMemory, Aug 15, 2009.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    SADXPCTools update
    You can now edit the text for hintballs, hint monitors, and characters in adventure fields.
    SADXTweaker2 also includes a Message File Editor, for all the other NPC dialog.
    I have also included a samplecode folder, which contains an ini file and asm file that will cause the Egg Carrier field to play the "The Ocean" music in outdoor areas after it crashes into the ocean.

2. What are typical SA/SA2 level x-y-z dimensions in meters, without a sky sphere?

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    [​IMG]
    If you change the byte at 00404DB1 from 1 to 0 with Cheat Engine, it enables the original title screen, but it seems to not respond to the start button...

4. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    So there is a topic for SADX! Now that I know that, I'm curious how much work has gone into the Steam version of it. Probably not much, since there was already a PC version that the hacking efforts went into, but... consider my interest shown if you were waiting for a demand to arise? Not to impose (although I'm rather good at that).

5. So they just hid the original title screen instead of replacing it? Weird.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well this is the steam version I believe, so like SA2, it uses the original title screens until you buy the "upgrade" and the title screen gets replaced with the SADX and SA2B versions.

7. PkR

PkR

SADX Dreamcast Conversion, The Emeralds' Awakening
    Great work MainMemory, this is an amazing discovery! Does this work in the earlier PC port as well?
    Also, I don't own the Steam version, but I believe it has the DX title screen because they sell it as "Sonic Adventure DX".

8. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    The 360 and PS3 versions of SADX work like that, but the PC version replaced the function to check for the DLC with a simple return 1;.
    The original port doesn't contain any code or data for the Dreamcast's title screen and backgrounds, it's just SADX.

9. TheLoz

TheLoz

UK
    Learning
    Pretty amazed with how much of this game has been completely opened up! Has there been any further progress with a way to enlarge skyboxes? Even with the default cliplevel (-1), some geometry still clips through the skybox (see Mystic Ruins). It's not a major thing, but it might be helpful for people making their own levels. Did a search through the topic but nothing recent came up.

EDIT: Rewrote post to make more sense.

10. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    It's been a long while since I used these tools, and I've completely forgotten how to do anything! How do you go about opening a level, editing it, and then exporting it as an OBJ file? I swear I used to use SAMDL(or the former iteration of it), but no files that I think are level files work, they all crash the program.

Apologies if this should go in the basic Q&A topic instead.

Edit: NM, figured out it was SADXLVL that I remember using before. Now it's all coming back to me. Having to put it all in the same directory as the sonic.exe really was lost on me for awhile too.

11. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Bump, but I was looking through the original Japanese release of Sonic Adventure (for the Dreamcast) and I noticed a few things. This is something small but I just wanted to point it out unless I'm not remembering something correctly.

In SA1, most of the adventure field text is stored in EV####.PRS (or EV####.BIN when uncompressed) files. I noticed that the original release has a EV####.PRS file that isn't in the International version at least, but is included in the E3 demo that was released by drx a few years a go. EV0134.PRS contains text for a scene I don't think takes place. Usually the EV####.PRS files are sequential to when they are supposed to occur in game, and it happens that the EV013# files are for the events that occur after Amy breaks out of her cell with the help of Gamma on the Egg Carrier, the Hedgehog Hammer minigame. EV0130 contains text for when Eggman says "Ha ha ha ha! You're not going to escape from here! Let's see if you can clear this awesome game!" and EV0131 contains the text "What? I can't believe this is happening!" for when you win the game. So whatever EV0134 is must take place immediately afterward, probably after leaving the Hedgehog Hammer room and right before you walk over to the Hot Shelter. The problem is, I don't know for sure because the text is in Japanese and the translation from Google is really shoddy. I don't even know if I'm reading the right text and not just some other data. Take a look:

You can download the compressed/uncompressed file here.

12. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    The file starts with a pointer to the event code, and from there I was able to determine that those are indeed strings, and they are the only strings. I cannot offer insight as to their meaning however.

13. PkR

PkR

SADX Dreamcast Conversion, The Emeralds' Awakening
    I'm not an expert, but I think you can translate it the following way:

1. I didn't think I'd have to come here again, did I?
    2. I wonder if your brothers are still here, in a place like this... (said by a female character)
    3. Huh?
    4. Didn't I (or you) hear a voice from somewhere above just now?
    5. Let's check it out!

Sorry if it's not completely accurate. I've studied Japanese for about a year.

14. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    SADXCharSwitch
    Allows you to switch any character to any other character, and switch characters' start positions (required to make Tikal and Eggman not crash).

15. Nomz

Nomz

I clicked on the SADXPCTools link, but it gave me a 404 error. Is it done and over with, or am I missing something? Also, what is the .CT file for?

16. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    With all the focus on SA2 lately I neglected to edit the first post of this topic. What you're looking for is now SA Tools.

The CT file is for Cheat Engine.

17. Nomz

Nomz

Oh! That makes sense now, I used to use Cheat Engine a while back, and I thought it looked familiar. Cool, thanks a bunch :D.

18. Nomz

Nomz

I've been pondering whether to post this or not for a while, but I guess I'll give it a shot:

How do I edit the colors of the characters in SADX? I've searched on the wiki, forums, and even gone through the hacking tools, but I can't seem to figure out how to get that "split.exe" to work. I've used CTRL F, Search, and even gone down pages title by title, but I can't find anything.

I know you guys don't put up with nonsense here, so I'm sorry if this is incredibly redundant, but I just want Sonic to be green D:. I would also like to know if I can replace Gamma with any of the other robots in the series, if at least their models.

Thanks.

19. Textures. Pretty sure there was an app somewhere to edit SADX PC (non steam) textures...or something.

20. Nomz

Nomz

I bought it from Steam, but I did something with it to make it the 2004 release, if you need my process I can link you to it. [Not mine]

My issue is not knowing how to use the editor, let alone the .exe files that come with them.