don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Retroman

Retroman

What's lightfield?

Edit: I found my Answer

(Source: http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Hedgehog_Engine)

"As well as featuring camera position changes and a blend of classic elements from other Sonic games, the Hedgehog Engine also uses a revolutionary new piece of technology. This was called the Light-field, which can create CGI quality graphics in the in-game graphics system. The basic concept of the Light-field is that light bounces off every single thing on screen, creating an ultra realistic look on the area around. Also, not only did the graphics around Sonic change, but so did Sonic's model. Light is reflected off of him too, to make sure that he didn't look "out of place" as many reviewers would claim from past Sonic games. This was the longest part of the Hedgehog Engine to make, taking three years to develop."

Eh, well I can donate $100, will that be good? I already am planning to pay Melpontro and Hinchi $300.

PM me :)

2. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    I'd be more than willing to help with a level creation assets. For some things. I mean as long as there are concepts I'm good.

3. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    I kind of used the wrong term; the file format's cracked but the way the nodes are ordered makes no damn sense, and it just takes a lot of time and energy... and grunt work... to find it out. I guess.

EDIT: Updated my original post since I goofed.

4. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Wherever this potential CD level thing goes, I just hope the stage chosen is Quartz Quadrant. It's the only stage in the game other than Wacky Workbench that isn't based on a Sonic 1 level.

5. Retroman

Retroman

It's going to be Palmtree Panic. Quartz Quadrant would be sweet, but converting 2D into 3D requires an open-mind for an open-dimention.

You could, say, look at Green Hill Zone in SA2 and compare it to Green Hill Zone in the Original and then work out what is changed, and apply it, but since it's Generations, it's high-speed boost, open area with paths, and eye-candy mixed with robots.

The Shadow the Hedgehog Recreation Stage looks amazing by the way Melpronto Team!

6. Faseeh

Faseeh

https://soundcloud.com/gottagofas/white-space-jungle-joyride-night

https://soundcloud.com/yannick-jason/jungle-joyride-night-modern

WELL. Both of these are WIPs (with the first being more complete) though.

(Oh and it's not gonna be a port and I've asked Zoney already so won't clash with the Unleashed Project apart from the level being from Unleashed)

7. Yarharhar

Yarharhar

Oldbie
    I was expecting stardust speedway, since some assets and the background already exist in the metal sonic bossfight.

8. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    [​IMG]

9. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    I dunno what the fuck this is, but for some reason, I kinda liked it. The yellow ring/loop reminded me of those sections in Starlight Carnival and Levitaded Ruins (but mostly Starlight Carnival due the greatly saturated colors and purple-ish background).

10. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    I have that sonic CD remix project going on, however its on hold for project AXSX at the moment.
    When I start back up on that, im sure someone here can port it to Generations. I have a feeling it will be another 4 - 5 months before I resume work on CD Remix.

11. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Geez, you think there'd be some sort of site you can go to for custom .aax files for Sonic Generations, since anyone can do it with the most basic of knowledge. Maybe it's my laziness kicking in, but I really don't want to have to make an aax file every time I get an idea of a song to put in Generations, and when I do make my own files, I want to see if someone else did better on that particular song. So far, the only packs I've found were JoeTE's music files from Sonic Stadium, some Sonic x MLP music crossover pack (deviantART, what do you expect?) and a Rooftop Run cpk with Falk's Be Cool/Be Wild music.

12. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

I have no idea what's going on. Member
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    This is SO much better than that version I critiqued a while back. Just has a lot more life to it. There are still suggestions I'd make though. One: The echo is a bit too strong, makes it sound like the song is being played in a huge empty room or something. Two, while that bit near the end is loads better in this updated version, I'd still give it a little bit something more. Something similar to that little rapid beat thing you did at about five seconds into the song. I suppose what I have in mind would be kind of similar to the loop in Speed Highway Act 1 as well.

I also have a music request of you, if you're still doing those, but I'll take that somewhere other than the Generations hacking thread. To stay relevant to this thread, I'll quote my own unanswered post:

13. Faseeh

Faseeh

Generations isn't that popular and actually it's pretty easy if you follow Guess Who's guide. Just replace the alternate music choices, it's quite the bit easier.

14. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I'm pondering the difficulty of making an automatic tool that converts .brstm files to .aax. This would give Sonic Generations modders easy access to just about everything on BCM. It wouldn't be ideal for speed shoes variants, but certainly a time saver.

It might be beyond my ability to make, though; my only programming experience is with AutoIt 3, which I'm sure isn't suited to this.

15. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    So, Dario, you plan to update SonicGLVL or are you gonna write a new one? I was trying to take a look at the Sonic Unleashed levels and it crashed when opening them.

16. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    He is in the process of writing a new one of it although it will take quite a bit of time for him to get it done.

17. Faseeh

Faseeh

So I was doing nothing and then Rexy of OCRemix linked a wonderful thing to me.

http://pietepiet.bandcamp.com/album/blue-skies-green-hills

Download this remix album inspired by Sonic Generations music styles now. RIGHT NOW.

It has Falk's wonderful Modern Radical Train. A DOWNLOAD. A WAV. AND IN ANY FORMAT YOU WANT.

I'd do a music mod but not too sure if Falk would like that.

18. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    The music is bad, but I honestly HATE the Sky Fortress Remix. I absolutely hate dubstep.

19. Faseeh

Faseeh

;-; But Jungle Joyride Night and Radical Train were beast. And honestly it's very opinion based. So yeaaah.

I don't mind dubstep as long as it's not overdone.

And I decided might as well.

So um, https://www.box.com/s/oqtavao9lrpw5cf8fc9d

Replace the existing files of SNG08_EUC in the 06erations mod by Melpontro with the files in that and you'll have the remix by Falk in the game.

In case you wanna play it with some other mod or somethin', I made a separate mod just for the remix. It replaces Savannah Citadel - Day in the Change Music menu with the remix.

https://www.box.com/s/ka444p5rxhca2a5dqcwn Here's the link for the separate mod

Anyways, I hope Falk would like this and won't mind. The loop isn't amazing but this remix really deserves to get a mod and yeaah. If you do mind, Falk, just tell me, and I'll bring the stuff down at once.

20. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    If there's anything that bugs the crap out of me, it's an improperly looping song. Seeing as Falk lent me the WAV file for Radical Train's Modern mix, I may whip up a music mod of my own fairly soon. ;3