don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Machenstein

Machenstein

While we're still looking at small details, I can't help notice a part of Green Hill Zone's background is incomplete, but it was that way in the original too.

[​IMG]

2. It's looking really good! I wonder if like Sonic CD, it'll be sold on the Amazon App Store so I can play on my Kindle :v:

But for some reason, I really wonder how the 'remastered' music is going to sound, honestly. My interest is really high.

3. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    The walking animation has the wrong, Sonic CD-esque alignment with the static head. The rotation on the wrecking ball makes sense and looks good, but the spinning at the end doesn't. Also maybe just the little shine spot could have the 60 Hz flicker rather than the entire thing?

I mean... http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyChangedItNowItSucks

4. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    It probably will, albeit maybe not quite on time. SEGA's usually pretty good about releasing their Android games on both Play and Amazon.

I'm curious when the build in the video is from. The older it is, the more confident I am about the quality this will achieve on release, because they will have had more time to fix the few flaws and possibly unfinished bits we've noticed so far. I'd be a bit more worried if they were scrambling to finish everything up for a release only two days after the video. + - Not that I wouldn't buy it anyway  

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I also thought there was something odd about the wrecking ball. Could it be that, for some reason, it seems to look more flat without that flickering effect?

Whatever it is, it certainly looks less flashy (no pun intended) than the original...

Dude... They could have overlapped the shine without using flickering of any kind, if that was the case.

6. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    The video is 30fps, the game is 60fps. It's totally possible the flickering is still there and just not caught on this video due to frame timing.

7. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    The video also appears to be cropped incorrectly, so it can't really do the game justice.
    It really bothered me that the HUD was too far to the left in the video, but it's correct in the stills we have, so I know it's just the video.

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    The blue blur: now even bluer than you remember! Is the reason why everything looks so washed out and periwinkle'd because of the way they recorded it, or does it actually (shudder) look that way by default?

9. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Makes sense. James Rofle once had to cut a joke out in an AVGN video because the 30 FPS capture of his game footage made his complaint unnoticeable.

10. Sonic does look like he's got some kinda blue tint over him, as if he's underwater or something. But it might just be the video. Wish they'd show the music but I guess that's gonna be a surprize?

11. DinnerSonic

DinnerSonic

Never Posting Since 2004! Member
    To be honest, through the recording blur I swear I saw a shine applied directly to the sprite that didn't move with the new rotation frames.

12. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Keep in mind that this isn't th final build all. If it was I doubt the music would be missing.

13. Tanks

Tanks

Friend of mine said "Oh shit! The wrecking ball now rotates!" and I instantly thought of this [​IMG]. :V

14. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Optional beta wrecking ball switch function plz? thx.

15. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Actually, the music was in that build, but they must have turned the volume down deliberately. And the colours/wacky squish and cropping are just the video. There's also the fact that some android devices might have the screen calibrated to its LCD, which could also affect the colours.

Also, before anyone says "That D-Pad is tiny!" you can actually customise the size / position / opacity this time :v:

16. Tanks

Tanks

Keyboard control is still an option, correct? I'd love to be able to use my wiimote as I did with Sonic CD.

17. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Of course, you can make the DPad disappear for that.

18. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Well, if the music is in the build, can you tell us how Speed Shoes work? Is it Generations/Sonic 4 style where a new sped-up track starts, or does the music remain sequenced so it can be sped up/slowed down organically?

19. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Yes, I'd rather the animation was kept how it was. Or just simply change his X position to static, his y position in the original animation was actually fine. His head wasn't ever meant to be completely static.

Anyway, looks cool all the same.

20. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Actually, there is Y movement in the sprite, I only made the X position locked so it was more like the Sonic 2 sprite. No point trying to pick apart this until you play the final version dudes.