don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Why don't we just let them fucking make the game? Instead of you know, saying ridiculous shit like "lol transparent shields will destroy this game".

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I ain't got nothing against the transparent shields. It's just that none of the rest of the art was redesigned to take advantage of the higher color depth and improved image quality as compared the sort of blurring one might find via a composite signal.

Still, fixing all the art would be a near-herculean task so I don't really fault anyone for not doing it, especially since that'd be consistent with basically every other release ever.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Would still be one nice extra for these rererererereleases.

No Steam version has been announced as of yet...

4. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    This. It just irks me when things like this are discussed. Also, your excuses for not supporting this product are quite daft. Remember that if it wasn't for our support on Sonic CD, Taxman may not have had the opportunity for these ports in the first place.

Also, it's this kind of talk that makes me dislike the "Things that bug you" topic.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I hope you're not implying I won't be supporting this product, only because I'm conjecturing about possible improvements that were already partly made for Sonic CD. I've already said I'll be getting the Android version and the Xbox port if it gets released.

6. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Well, to be fair, there are places where X-only dithering was used to simulate transparency (waterfalls, CPZ tubes). If it weren't for the MD's shitty composite output, those areas would have looked a fuckton better on the original hardware.

7. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Android Gameplay (no music):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9It-734ZgNA

Also it releases later this month on Android at least, probably iOS as well: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/04/09/gdc-2013-sega-announces-the-original-sonic-the-hedgehog-for-android-coming-in-april-for-2-99/

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I love those little additions they made. They fixed Sonic's spring up sprite, added rotation to the wrecking ball, used the 8 frame ring, and fixed that fucking Robotnik sign that really bothered me in Sonic 1 for some reason (Still I feel they should have used the Sonic 2 black background for that sign, just looks better).

And spin dash yay.

9. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    At 1:25, because of the wider view, you can see the empty space beneath the set of spikes in that pit.

0/10 terrible port would not buy

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Well, it looks lovely. Absolutely none of the slight frame rate dips that even the original game had, so it's a real improvement. And I really love the way that the wrecking ball spins. But I did notice one thing...
    [​IMG]

I know it may seem like I'm nitpicking, but that's a problem brought about by widescreen that I'm very sure can be fixed easily. And I'll be surprised if it isn't.

EDIT: ninja'd

11. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Also note that the menus and zone title cards aren't being shown. HMMMMMMMMMM.

12. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    Is it me, or does the jumping animation look slightly slower than usual? It feels like it's taken from an Adobe flash version of the game. :(

Other than that, it looks awesome, and I can't wait to play it when it's released!

13. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    They fixed the spring sprite (And I would also assume the spinning water sprite too), but Sonic's socks are still skin color in his running sprites.

Other than that I really like what I see. The physics seem alot more tuned than the CD release.

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Isn't that just supposed to be a blur effect, to emphasise how fast his feet are moving?

15. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    But it was fixed for Sonic 2, so I would assume not.
    [​IMG]

16. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Something about this feels slightly off for some reason.. like when Sonic's turning in his running animation through midair at 0:39-0:41. Also is it me or are the colors kind of weird? Could've been the recording though.

Nitpicking, I like all the improvements made so far. Wrecking ball looks cooler now and I'm glad the Spin Dash is in. The widescreen-ness wouldn't feel as strange if it weren't for how everything looks so far away, though, but I might get used to it.

17. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Seems like a solid port so far. I'm really hoping a PC version comes out with the changes I suggested along with the ability to turn off the time limit. That would be a nice unlockable for beating the game with all the chaos emeralds.

18. RedMetallix

RedMetallix

Supreme Thunder Member
    A desk.
    What? Don't be silly.
    So I take it the little flickering thing the Wrecking ball did (Why did it do that anyway?) isn't going to be happening anymore?

19. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I always thought the flickering was intentional and gave the original wrecking ball kind of a cool effect so I'm mixed on how I feel about the flickering removed. Definitely not a bad change, but I liked how it flickered. >_>

20. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    The ball had flickering because the original ball Sonic Ran on rotated and by putting the shine on another frame, the light source never changed, just the checkerboard pattern.