don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. That One Jig

That One Jig

aka RichterSnipes Member
    Somewhere in America
    (Not) Working on My PokéHack
    Wow, I was not expecting this. If this comes out on other systems, I'm buying. Otherwise I'll still find a way to pay for it. Amazing to see this, Taxman and Stealth!

Question for anyone: How will Sonic 2 special stages work with always-60 FPS in mind? Will they have new frames made for them, or will they just be at the same speed as they were on the Genesis? IIRC, they ran at sub-60 FPS and merely forcing them to play at that speed would make them too fast to play reasonably.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hmm, I hadn't thought about those. I wonder if they're planning to re-digitize the frames from the original CG footage.

3. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Assuming these guys can get HPZ in (I think it'd bring a lot of closure for those who give a crap about it still to see it finally added back into the game after 21 years), it'd be neat if it played off an old hoax.

-Beat Special Stage 7 and collect the final emerald.
    -Get warped to HPZ (just one act)
    -Have to collect 50 rings before reaching the emerald
    —Fail to do so, and nothing happens. You're warped back to the level and checkpoint you were on. Try again.
    —Succeed, and...

[​IMG]

At the very least, it'd be a nice play for a future scenario. See Mecha Sonic standing on the Master Emerald in Sky Sanctuary to go Super. That, and it keeps in line with Naka's original intention for the zone he mentioned in an interview.

But now I'm just pandering off silly requests. My apologies.

4. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    If they managed to get HPZ in there, it'd be the perfect ending to this 15-odd-year encounter with it.

Remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5OGPyYK4Iw

I remember back when we thought this was the closest we would ever get to playing Hidden Palace in Sonic 2. The fact that it's possible it'll finally become official (from fans, no less!) just blows my mind.

5. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    It'd be like how Singing Mountain's music was officially used in the Chrono Trigger re-release on DS. Not QUITE what people were expecting, but it finally became an official thing.

6. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    Need this on PC please. Or Windows Phone 8. I'm not picky, I'll throw £20 your collective ways if these are options. :3

Excited and ecstatic and I just need this cause aughh deliciousness thank you Taxman and thank you Stealth <3

7. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    Anyone asking for Bridge Zone, you all are smoking crack. SEGA doesn't give a crap about the 8-Bit titles and neither does anyone else other than a handful of people who can already play them. These are merely remastered versions of old games. Chances are there will be the addition of Tails flying/swimming and Knuckles in Sonic 2, but anything other than what's in the original game is merely a bonus. I'm looking forward to these games because I love the classics and am excited about the prospect of them looking and sounding as good as possible on my TV and sound system.

TLDR: If you start telling yourself you'll be able to play as Amy in Cyber City Zone, prepare for disappointment.

8. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    The people who are working on this are long time members of the Sonic Hacking community. As such it is entirely possible we may see stuff along the lines of things the beta community has been interested in ages, like this. While I am pretty sure we won't see sprites remade from scratch to fit the visual feel of the games since Sonic CD got the copypasta treatment with Tails and no use of characters who actually debuted in that game, it's still not beyond the realm of possibility that we will see additions to make this a more complete version of Sonic 2, hence Wood Zone and Hidden Palace may get special treatment, along with any other assets that they may now have access to. This is by and large wishful thinking, but it's also something that wouldn't be surprising either. Bridge Zone is a long shot, but it's still a neat idea worth speculating over and not necessarily the thoughts of a crackfiend, but I wouldn't expect it. It would require upgrading the visual style of bridge zone to accurately fit with the 16 bit Sonic 2, which I am sure is beyond the scope of this project. It is more likely we will see Hidden Palace and if we are lucky Wood Zone and if we are super duper lucky, Dust Hill or other tossed out levels.

TLDR: Anything that require's an artist's touch probably won't happen, but doesn't warrant calling others crackheads over. If it can be coded in, then it is more likely to show up if we are lucky.

9. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    They didn't let Taxman add a cut level last time. I doubt they'll let him add any this time either. Sega really should consider adding some as dlc though. They'd make some money off it for sure. That'd probably be the best way to get them too, than retconning the original games.

10. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    I was unaware.

And yeah, no kidding. If they added lost levels DLC that would be a definite "Shut up and take my money!" scenario, and would fit the game well as you said.

11. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    What about a 7th emerald and super sonic for Sonic 1?

Also, if hidden palace is added to Sonic 2, would the end game medley be updated to include the hidden palace theme? And do we even have music for Wood Zone?

Yes, I know, more crackhead speculation.

12. dsrb

dsrb

Their leisure interests can be completely irrelevant to their creative freedom when contracted by a company that distinctly doesn't promote hacking. It tolerates it extremely well, but there's an obvious difference. That's not to mention whether they themselves actually want to include the kind of things that people are now biting their lips about as though they're very serious possibilities.]

I couldn't disagree more.

Whatever happened to the vitriolic scepticism that's among the infamous traits of this community? Does it all go out of the window when faced with the perfect storm of community members working on something and omg t4h bn3ta?

13. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    They didn't add Super Sonic to Sonic CD, I doubt they will for Sonic 1.
    Again, I doubt it; not unless someone is willing to mix it in properly (and it's a pain in the arse to edit a Credits theme, believe me I've tried already). Also Hidden Palace I can see them adding, if they add a "new" zone, as it was mostly complete; art was done, it had badniks and objects created for it, its own music, layout was definitely getting there.. Wood Zone has a very tiled background, some plain floor, a little beginning path.. and nothing else.

EDIT:
    By that logic, anything at all is fair game; when you're coding something yourself, you can put in anything - Super Sonic, the Chaotix and combi-ring mode, playable Eggman, Mario, Werehog..

Your logic is flawed, good sir.

14. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    If this gets released on PSN then I'll be interested, but I hate playing games on my phone. I don't have a fancy $2000 phone with spectacular service, and I prefer not to play phone games anyway.

I bought Sonic 2 on PSN already though.

15. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Are you seriously nitpicking that I didn't add a caveat to specify "within reason?" Naturally they aren't going to fuck up the game beyond recognition, since this is a port, and even with your appeal to ridicule it's not like Tails in Sonic CD didn't look as fan-hacky as your examples, so yeah there is precedence for even all that shit with a beautiful menu system to go with it. Obviously that is not what I meant, though.

@DSRB - Be reasonable. Naturally SEGA didn't give them a platform to put whatever they want into it. I'm just saying that this community's interests are well represented should they be given leeway as to what extras go into it if any.

Edit: To re-phrase for those that misunderstood, the more new assets need to be created to add an extra feature, the less likely we are to see it. Also now that I know they had Sonic CD's assets for the extra level and could not put it in, I am not putting bets on seeing Hidden Palace fully realized, as cool as it would be. I agree that it would be awesome to see lost levels as DLC, though.

16. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Considering SEGA's acknowledgement of the 8-bit games extends as far as "let's rerelease on Virtual Console", if that, Bridge Zone was not within reason; similar reasoning for Wood Zone, and for what I explained previous to your quote. As for Tails being "fan-hacky" I'll assume you mean art-wise more than anything else, as programming-wise Tails is not tricky (for "fan-hacks" or otherwise), especially with Sonic 3's ASM available these days.

Again, programming opens up all possibilities, be them within the realm of common sense or stupidity; using it as a reason for it likely to happen "if we're really lucky" means squat.

17. Tanks

Tanks

No one knows what the game's going to be like. Tax and Stealth will certainly not be telling us what easter eggs they're hiding in the game if there end up being any at all. Its a fucking privilege if we even get a community shout out, not a right. You don't get to fucking dictate to them how to code their own damn game. Can we please just sit the fuck back and let them reveal what they want to reveal? I get it, you're all excited. Two guys you happen to know from the internet are working on a major game in a series you love, but that doesn't mean you bang on their door and shove concepts and plans for even the most frivolous of game features down their throats. I, for one, want to be surprised by what they include and heck, if it ends up being a straight port with only the features they've mentioned so far... So be it. It'll be pretty damn awesome anyway.

18. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next

19. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Since this post happened while I was editing I'll just copy my edit:
    Now, in response to the rest I understand. I am trying to emphasize there is nothing wrong with idle speculation this early on. Do I think we will see Bridge Zone in an official 16 bit Sonic 2 release? Not a bloody chance in hell. Still, I don't see why someone would say that another is smoking crack for just speculating. Hypothetically Tax and Stealth could go for a complete edition of Sonic 2 with extra levels and the whole shebang and it would probably print money with the retro gaming crowd. Not saying it will happen but it's not outside of the realm of reason to toss around. Personally, I'd be surprised if the extras included anything beyond Knucles in Sonic 2 without the wonders of lock-on technology.

20. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Just want to clarify:

Desert Dazzle and Final Fever's assets were brand new, I created them. They weren't cut from the original Mega CD game.