don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Given that I'm led to believe that ScarredSun and some of the other admins pretty much have the inside track from ("second only to...") Sega here, this pretty much affirms Sonic 1 and 2 for iOS as a test endeavour.

A test for what, exactly? Sonic 4 wouldn't be remastered to 'classic' status (as mentioned in this thread) because the consumer wouldn't see the point; they're not ardent retrophiles like the clientele here.

And so, a little speculation of the possibilities can only mean either:
    • If such ports are commercially-viable, this is leading to a port of your beloved Sonic 3 and Knuckles, or
    • The engine will be used for a new-classic Sonic title.

I'm inclined to the former. Although Sonic 4 hasn't done terribly, Sega are incredibly risk-averse at the moment, so a re-release of a fan favourite seems the most logical choice. The hilarious admin quote-pyramid doing the rounds just means iOS S3K and nothing more. I think.

However, I suppose if everyone buys it then Sega will run out of classic Sonic games to port and will give us a new classic Sonic. Right? Wishful thinking.

2. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    Wow, guys. *Guys*. I'm all for removing the bugs, but changing the level design to make levels actually easier sounds phony to me. Red springs in the pit? Honestly?

In any case, I'm glad Taxman has such momentum in SEGA. I have no doubts this will bring the most brilliant fruits sooner than longer.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Given the remade engine I imagine they could just make that a bottomless pit instead of spikes (whole reason those were there I believe is because I think the bottomless pits in mystic cave were broken). I don't want it easier I just don't want to have to dick around in the pit as super sonic waiting for my rings to drain.

Also hopefully they fix some of the collision issues in hill top zone. And please let us choose sonic, tails, or sonic and tails in sonic 2 again please.

V 2 player any level (besides sky chase and death egg anyway) would be awesome

4. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

There are some fixes worth putting in, such as the Emerald Hill pixel error. I wonder if they'll put in any of the unused easter eggs such Eggman's CPZ boss animation.

I'll buy Sonic 2 right away if it features any expansion of the split screen mode, especially if the new engine lacks the incompatibility issues the original had (eg. racing water levels such as Chemical Plant and Aquatic Ruin would be awesome). Even just adding Knuckles as a 2P character would be a nice touch.

5. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    But that's fair enough because it doesn't change level design. There are issues that can be remade into delivering the same, except faster and/or accurately. That's not something I'd mind either.

Ah well, the guys know what they are doing.

6. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Too bad I'm one of those people behind with the times, don't have an iPhone or Android. I think it's great people from the fan community that obviously know more about how to handle these things is getting a chance to go to Sega and do this. Wish I could support =P

My one wish is that this somehow brings out more prototype material, kinda like how we got those R2 sprites. Considering Taxman and Stealth are from this community, they surely must have looked into some of the mysteries of these games we've all come to know from proto shots. I sure as hell would if I was working at Sega :eng101:

7. dsrb

dsrb

It does, but only trivially and in a way that fixes a pointless problem. What I'd like to know is where these people calling out for significant changes are who you were complaining to initially.

8. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    I'm looking forward to how the timeline is messed up again like Sonic CD. Whereas Sonic 1 happens just after Unleashed and Sonic 2 is set 4 years after Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.

9. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    I too am also asking this question. I bought both Sonic 1 AND 2 the day they were both released on the iOS App Store, and I would really greatly appreciate this being just an app update instead of separate apps. I already have like 3 copies of the game on my phone as is if you count the jailbroken emulators that I play the roms on. :specialed:

You sure about Sonic 1 taking place after Unleashed? Because I'm pretty dang sure it takes place after the events of SegaSonic Arcade.

10. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    He already said it. Quote:

11. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Glad I wasn't the only one thinking about this.

12. Tanks

Tanks

Ok. For the fucks that are saying they can't get behind this because "They've already bought enough Sonic 1 and 2 rereleases" think about this. Its not about the game. Its about making the statement. I'll be buying these two releases because it sends a positive message to SEGA about the retro engine and the possibility of standalone NEW Sonic games using it. That, and I love to support the good work that comes out of this community. If you're incapable of purchasing because you don't own a console or are tight on money, I get it. I'm not here to pressure you. I'd rather you just recognize there's a deeper meaning here than just simply "Oh boy another rerelease of a game..." Hence Gene's "Just trust me on this one."

13. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Was gonna ask if these would remain compatible with a 2nd gen iPod Touch (4.2.1 I think), then I looked up Sonic 1 on the App Store and it needs 4.3 or later. Bah. Don't get me wrong, I'll buy these (will wait for the update to hopefully send a stronger message), just hoping the other versions are announced soon.

EDIT: Would it be stupid to get the versions of CD I never got (PSN, iOS, Android) when these come out to try and further push the statement or? :v: Gotta set aside some cash for the payment exodus.

14. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    This is really the only reason I'm even contemplating putting money down on a game I've played to death, really.

15. Machenstein

Machenstein

22nd anniversary release?

16. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    The real Sonic 1 Remastard. 3D, Widescreen, and 120HZ Monitor support.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH9KSi8bFpo

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ^ ill happily pay because of the care put in but I guess I don't have to, which is a nice bonus to those who bought the shoddy emulation years ago.

Oh and one pet peeve of mine, please change the app icons. They're so cheesy and they don't even use the original game's artwork. Hell sonic 2 reused sonic advance 2 art. If you're gonna be lazy and not make new art, at least use the art the original game had.

18. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    The old app icons are gone, don't worry haha. The style used in that press release image should give you a good indication. This is basically a whole new app, releasing over the old one.

19. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    So, ASSUMING console/PC ports, do you think the existing games will receive updates up to this version? I understand if you don't have an answer because of NDAs or, like last time, having no control over the console versions.

I just hope the PC version isn't a port of the XBLA one and goes the more efficient route.

20. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Speaking of which. Taxman, did you have a talk with anyone at SEGA bout how inefficient the port of SCD2011 for PC was? If you did, then hopefully they got the message that they don't need to port the XBLA version since the engine was made to go on PC to begin with.