don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    a. Bridge Zone
    b. Jungle Zone
    c. Sky Base Zone
    d. Clock(w)Ork Zone

hmmm?

2. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Oh man this is awesome. Though lacking an iOS or Android I hope this comes to other systems!

Also...
    Am I the only one who chuckled slightly at "GOTTA GO FAST!"? I probably am aren't I? :v:

3. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    The 3DO port of Super SF II Turbo had CD quality music and that is fondly remembered. I think Solar Pier had a optional CD soundtrack too, and I don't think anyone complained about that. SF 2 Anniversary Collection also allowed you to use a CD quality soundtrack, and I found that excellent. As long as the soundtrack is optional I don't see a problem with it. As long as it is a remixed version of the original song and not an original song. I think Sonic Megamix is going for original songs when they implement the CD soundtrack, which kind of sucks. I'd rather hear the original music in CD quality.

I barely call "slightly different" music a marketable feature anyway.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Taxman do you by chance know why sega is so against sonic 3 and knuckles?

On another note this is just an update to my current app? Badass. Still looking for that scd patch though

Oh and do these ports get the spindash/flying tails treatment?

5. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    That would be epic. I've always imagined that if Jungle Zone was done 16bit style, Act 2 would behave a bit like the 8bit version, but the screen would infinitely scroll horizontal with your sign post straight above you.

6. Dan Lioneye

Dan Lioneye

UK
    Isn't this written on the original game box/in the instuction manual?
    Also, it would be great to see some previously unseen S1 assets like the R2 stuff from CD.

7. Falk

Falk

Pretty sure what's going in the game are stereo tracks.

8. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Quite the opposite, actually. Straight from the wiki:
    US:
    [​IMG]
    "...as you dash through six hazardous zones..."

Europe:
    [​IMG]
    "There are six action-packed zones, each with three exciting Acts."

9. Tanks

Tanks

How about we quit with the speculating and debating of the minutia and let Tax and Stealth do their job guys. I mean fuck, this is, for once, the closest the community has ever come to slapping SEGA around for past transgressions and pointing them in the right direction. Stop looking a gift horse in the mouth and just roll with it dammit. :V

10. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

I'd rather like to know if we're getting any sign of a Steam/XBLA/PSN release or even an update to the already-existing ones. I'd be greatly disappointed if this was the case since I don't own an Android.

It's really nice to see these though!

11. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member

12. dsrb

dsrb

Yeah, see my edit where I said it's not really a problem if it's optional. Much of the rest of your post didn't suggest that.

But it's going to be almost a totally different game by the time it's released, so why would they keep the original music?

Bear in mind that I know nothing and am just doing the kind of speculation that everyone hates here, but I suspect S3&K might be a possibility in the future, if the constant admonitions by staff to 'You should support this; just trust us' are taken seriously and we think about the most logical thing this might mean.

13. Dan Lioneye

Dan Lioneye

UK
    Oh awesome, I was just looking for these. Nice one! :thumbsup:

14. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    I can't be any happier that these will simply be updates to my already-purchased iOS Sonic 1 and 2 (although I'd have repurchased them, anyway). They were LAGGING when my iPhone 4 was running iOS 6. Now my iPhone 5 runs them fine, but that's not the point. My point is that my two year old 1GHz device lagged running the same thing my 21 year old 7MHz Model 2 runs perfectly (except when a lot of rings are lost, but there are mods around that :P). It's all because of emulation. Once they're released, I'm going to show the games to every one of my friends who would be even remotely interested because I want iOS 3&K and I would love to see an original Sonic Team game made with the Retro Engine. I'd pay for a disk of it, provided the content is right.

15. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    I doubt I'll bother with these 2. I already have both Sonic 1 and 2 on emualtion, and on my phone, and on my PS3 and on the MegaDrive twice (EU and JP versions). I bought Sonic CD for the PS3 because I don't have it at all anywhere else.

That's not to say I'm not going to support this. Seeing it on widescreen would be awesome and Time attack, etc, but it doesn't justify it enough for me to buy it again. Until more details are revealed, but I'll patiently wait.

16. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I hope not. Wasted opportunity if that's the case.

17. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    I hate to burst the wonder and mystery behind S1SAGE2010 (SonMP3)'s ability to speed up music, but it was all thanks to what I used to play sound/music in the first place; Un4seen's BASS library, with the bass_fx.dll extension. Whether something similar is possible on iOS/Android/whatever I do not know. Still, it is realtime, and it does sound better, hence why I used it.

Anywho; congratulations to both Taxman and Stealth on this. I wonder what hidden gems you two managed to get a-hold of when working on this.. Also, I look forward to seeing the 8-frame giant ring again. :> *hit*

18. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Oh holy crap :D

So, two questions:
    1) I already own Sonic 1 on iOS, the emulated version. If this is being provided as a free update, will it count torwards the total purchases of this game?
    2) Will you be doing a Windows Phone 8 port as well? Please? :)

19. SaviourDCX

SaviourDCX

Oldbie
    Looks like this is working out well. I'm not a huge fan of Sonic 1 but Sonic 2 android will be a day one purchase for me! Bring them both to Steam to! :thumbsup:

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Taxman can you by any chance elaborate on what fixes these remakes might have (like do sonics shoes always have stripes on them now, are those 100 point bonuses at the end of the level worth 100 points instead of 10, does the robotnik sign have the yellow triangles on it now, spike bug, walk jumping, etc etc)