don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Oh, forgot to mention this: this comes from a press event where SEGA announced some iOS/Android stuff. It could very well be that there are console/PC versions, but that they haven't been announced yet.

2. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Not entirely sure why 60FPS is a selling point when the original game was already 60FPS.

I mean, good on you for not botching that aspect up and all, and the Genesis version did have its slowdowns here and there, but still

3. Tanks

Tanks

Sonic as I've always imagined it.

4. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Now, jokes aside, I'm pretty interested in this. Specially if it includes more updates , like Sonic CD did. We might be seeing Tails and Knuckles in Sonic 1? I hope at least Spindash is present. And I'm eager to listen to that remastered soundtrack! Will it be completely new mixes or maybe...Nakamura's demotracks?

5. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I'd find it weird if Taxman didn't include the spindash.

6. Tanks

Tanks

Willing to put money down that Nakamura's stuff won't be used because they generally aren't that good. (Though using a new mix of the extended Sonic theme from that album might be kinda cool for the title screen...)

7. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I hope they pull the old emulated "ports" and put these up together as a bundle on XBL and PSN. I don't want the best ports of these games to be mobile only.

8. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    I think some of you guys need to back up the speculation train and remember what exactly "remastering" is :P

They even call the entire game a "remaster" in an earlier part of the flier, but the screenshots clearly indicate no change in visual appearance, at minimum. If the music were to be differently instrumented/sequenced it should instead use another word such as "remixed". Straight-up emulator recordings like they've used in the past aren't exactly high quality reproduction :P

9. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I posted this on Stadium, I'll post it here.

Even though this is Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 all over again, I strongly urge everyone to support this release.

Just trust me on this one.

10. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I highly doubt that they'd specifically point out a remastered soundtrack on the fact sheet if they just used emulator recordings.

Also, what Gene said.

11. Tets

Tets

one rude dude Oldbie
    That won't be a problem, as long as they release on Steam!

Of course what I'd really like to see is a new 2D Sonic in the Retro Engine, but hey, I'm more than all right with this.

12. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Its mine on iOS and Android, no question.

Console too if it comes out.

13. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    Um... that's not what I said. I said it could be that it's exactly the same instrumentation and sequencing but at a higher quality than their older emulation recordings, because some people seem to think that "remastered" is the same thing as "remixed"

14. Retroman

Retroman

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Remastered with Hidden Palace Zone Pl0x
    *Shot*

15. Twimfy

Twimfy

UK
    Sonic the Comic stuff
    Mac version this time around would be nice.

Really can't be that difficult to port to the Mac App Store or Steam.

In fact if it's been anywhere near Xcode for the iOS release then a Mac AppStore release should be really straight forward.

Was surprised when Sonic CD never made the transition.

16. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

And then Hidden Palace gets cut because SEGA doesn't think new stuff in an updated port will sell. :P

17. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Taxman, Dude you gotta get Hidden Palace and Wood Zone back into Sonic 2 somehow, its their destiny to be reborn by your hand!

Seriously, If we get ports to consoles and PC and you get multiple buys from me. SEE THIS SEGA, MULTIPLE. BUYS. ME. GIVE. MONEY. WANT YES?

Also, whatever happened with the patch to fix the glitches for SCD?

18. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    That's what I get for posting while I am sleepy. Disregard that then. Still, "Remastered" has been used for remakes in marketing (see Ducktales Remastered).

19. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    These are the only Sonic 1 and 2 rereleases I've ever considered buying, to be honest (didn't have a Saturn back then, for Sonic Jam).

I hope they'll be releasing an Xbox Live version as well, because I'm planning to get two of each, just like with Sonic CD.