don't click here

Ultimate Dreamcast Sale on Amazon

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Skaarg, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Skaarg

Skaarg

Amazon Page

I really don't know why they're calling it the Ultimate Dreamcast Collection, but either way it's a steal if you want digital downloads of these games.

Dreamcast Collection (Amazon Download - No Steam keys) - Sonic Adventure DX, Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5 Part 2, and SEGA Bass Fishing
    Jet Set Radio (Steam)
    Nights (Steam)
    Sonic Adventure 2 (Steam)
    Sonic Generations (Steam)

I'm still debating if I'll buy it. I already have SA1/2 on PS3 and Generations on PC. Would like to have JSR and Nights though.

2. winterhell

winterhell

Sonic Generations (Steam) alone is more expensive than the whole package. Where's the catch?

3. Skaarg

Skaarg

There's no catch, Amazon has just been really good about sales lately.

4. winterhell

winterhell

If I get it from Amazon.com , can I use the steam keys on european account?

5. Midway the Echidna

Midway the Echidna

Chicago, IL
    Java Arkanoid, codingcabana.net (in-progress)
    I couldn't help but notice Nights Into Dreams is listed as having a download size of only 3KB. I feel the urge to pay $15 just to see what will happen when I try to download and play it.

On the related subject, to think I thought I got a good deal buying Sonic Generations off of Steam- I feel silly now, and I already own 3 copies of Sonic Adventure (XBLA + DC :) + GCN :() and SA2B on Gamecube, but the allure of Crazy Taxi, Nights into Dreams, and Jet Grind Radio for only $5 a piece. It's a very tempting offer if but for the chance to relive the golden age of American culture: the late 90s. I'm only surprised Neversoft didn't make a faithful remake of its Dreamcast game- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD turned out to be pretty disappointing.

Nonetheless, I would say you should totally go for it- Nights into Dreams is amazing on so many levels. My friend who lives down the hall has a Sega Saturn, and we have far more than $15 worth of fun playing that game. Buy it, and you won't regret it!

6. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    You feel silly? I have those three AND the PSN and Steam versions. I own all versions of Adventure minus the original PC release.

7. Looks like it isn't on sale anymore. How much was it?

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    It was $15 for everything. Got the DC collection for myself (even if I already had Crazy Taxi and the old SADX, still cheaper than buying the other two separately), and Nights for my girlfriend.

9. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Shame, seems I missed the sale. =/ Then again I already own and/or don't care for most of those games anyway.

Random, semi-off topic question: why is the sequel to Space Channel 5 always included in these packages/compilations, but not the first one? o_O

10. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    I may be wrong but I don't think the first one has been ported to PC/XBL/PSN like the others have.

11. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Neversoft didn't make THPS HD. That was Robomodo.

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Bingo.

But I don't know why that is.

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    If I had to guess, I'd say it's for volume 2 which will also contain Chu Chu Rocket, Sega GT (or perhaps Sega Rally 2 instead), and a translated version of Rent-a-Hero.

At least, I want to believe.

14. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Because Space Channel 5 would look like ass. I don't remember the specifics but they'd probably have to remake it for HD displays.

15. DinnerSonic

DinnerSonic

Never Posting Since 2004! Member
    Unlike the sequel's fully polygonal backgrounds, Space Channel 5's backgrounds consisted of a lot of pre-rendered video, which would, as said, look like ass on a modern HD console or computer. Considering no company ever seems to want to just take their old videos and re-render them in HD(I guess it can be hard to use the more ancient 3D programs that would be required, though) that presents an issue.

16. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. I just couldn't help but notice it and found it interesting.

17. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Well, if you look it this way, most of the compilation games were already ported to other consoles to begin with...though it's most likely because of the backgrounds being prerendered that they choose the 2nd part, after all, most "HD releases" are just upscaled versions that run at 720p resolution and mantain all the old textures like they were before. Some ports may take a little more time because they used some pretty cool tricks to hide parts that were not on screen and they have to recalculate those borders for 16:9 screens.

Sega Bass Fishing was released in 2001 for PC.
    Sonic Adventure DX was released in 2003, for PC and GC.
    Space Channel 5 Part 2 was ported to PS2 in 2002.
    Crazy Taxi was ported to PC in the year 2000.

Sonic Adventure 2 and Jet Set Radio were the first modern ports they made from scratch and SA2 even had some texture enhancements on the menu side...Unlike Jet Set Radio, which was exactly the same but Widescreen, as it menus were already made of polygons, including the fact that they extended the render angle so the stages look properly.

Also, Nights was already released on PS2 quite a while back and had way better lighting on the bosses for example.