don't click here

Sonic sure has a lot of jumping abilities...

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Samurai Echidna, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Samurai Echidna

Samurai Echidna

I just realized how many different kinds of special jump abilities Sonic has used over the years.

-Insta-Shield (Sonic 3)
    -Double Jump (Also known as a Vertical Jump?)
    -Rapid Fireball (ala Flame Shield, Sonic 3. Sometimes called Jump Dash, just without flames?)
    -Bounce with Rebound (ala Water Shield, Sonic 3; later named Bounce Attack in modern titles)
    -Wall Jump (Sonic Heroes)
    -Stomp Jump (Sonic Unleashed)
    -Homing Attack
    -Light Speed Attack (Sonic Adventure 1 and 2)
    -Blast Jump (Sonic 3, only available for Hyper Sonic.)

I think that just about covers it, give or take a few. Sonic games sometimes have trouble deciding if Sonic can do these things naturally or if an upgrade/item box is required. Others have not been seen in a long time.

I can't decide which one is best, however, it feels like some would be more fitting for other characters. I could see Knuckles making the most use out of a Stomp Jump. Tails seems like a more likely candidate for the Double Jump, seeing as he is a flying character. Since Hyper Sonic is retired, I would love to see the Blast Jump limited to just Super Sonic.

If I had to chose, I'd say Double Jump and Homing Attack are the best. Seems like Homing Attack is just the next natural step after mastering the Double Jump; though I would like to see that move a lot more than Homing Attack these days. As much as I liked the Insta-Shield, looking back on it now, that ability seemed kind of pointless and redundant.

2. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I agree with homing attack, not just because of sometimes game breaking power, but because it works in a similar exploitable manner as other characters moves in allowing Sonic to play with the levels mechanics and find intricate hidden items and pathways. As innovative as some of the Sonic 3 attacks were, few of them did more than allow better attack power and you were still often forced along the default pathway compared to Knuckles and Tails who could access nearly the entire area at whim with flying and gliding.

I just wish Sonic 4 would find more creative means for the homing attack outside Bubbles chains.

3. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Insta-Shield. Those who doubt its power do not understand how disgustingly broken that move is.

And that seems to be quite a few people.

4. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    You can friggin' hit spiked enemies with it without taking a scratch. I'd like to see Tails or Knuckles do that without invincibility.

Such a great move whose function is sadly really obscure.

5. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    The insta-shield, hands down. In my opinion, it's an incredibly powerful move that people struggle to understand and master. Being able to trash an orbinaut with the right timing is oh-so good and going through small enemies that brandish spikes not only looks stylish but saves you from a world of hurt. And the attack radius increase, although only temporary is damn helpful.

Also, using the insta-shield against Sandopolis 2's boss is crazy; hitting him through his protective layer and then being able to hit him again makes it all the more sweater.

6. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    You have to remember the homing attack originated in Sonic 3D Blast where a powerup was required to use it (the gold shield) and it was referred to as the "Blast Attack." Perhaps if it was limited to a powerup in the same way (not a permanent powerup like the Adventure games), maybe it wouldn't seem like as much of a game breaker. Make people earn the move via an uncommon shield and make the "Bubbles chain" lead to a secret path rather than being the main/only path.

7. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Insta-shield of course.

And if Sonic wants any other jump abilities, that's what shields are for.

8. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    I haven't played much Sonic 3 in a while, but I didn't like the insta-shield because it was so hard to get right.

I say Homing Attack, because it can do everything.

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Yeah, I can't say I'm a massive fan of the insta-sheild, mainly cause I've never been interested in mastering it. And then after S3K, it's been pretty pointless in all the other games. Especially Generations, where it's a hindrance.

10. dsrb

dsrb

Not being able to use something properly doesn't mean it's not good! Personal preference (or just ability!) is one thing, and perhaps that what the "best" in the subtitle is supposed to refer to, but if we're meant to be talking in terms of the advantages of all these techniques used properly, the Insta-Shield is right up there.

What everything? Home in on enemies and give a brief boost? To me, "everything" would include invulnerability and the ability to break through enemies' defences, things that aren't features of the Homing Attack . . . but are features of the Insta-Shield.

11. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    >Jump
    >press jump again in mid-air right before collision

This is nothing new for Super Mario RPG players or even FF8 people with timed button presses. If you must, practice with normal enemies. This really isn't that complicated at all.

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Yes, but the effect of that is entirely different when you play as Knuckles a good nine times out of ten.

13. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Couldn't the same be said for the insta shield or practically any other move under the sun? I'm sure the 'gliding and climbing' shield would be considered the most elusive box in the game.

Maybe I'm biased because my preference goes as much for exploring the game as well as just strengthening the player. Outside 'glitching' very small parts of pathways and the likes, Sonic was still usually limited to the main pathway a lot more than Knuckles and Tails in Sonic 3, be it with insta shield or any box ability, so outside his additional level, his gameplay usually felt the most boring and limited in that manner.

The homing attack is not only powerful but can be used to gain vertical or horizontal boosts under the right circumstances (thus making both the lightning and fire jumps redundant when in place) and helps him reach areas that perhaps even Knuckles and Tails couldn't in particular instances, especially since Sonic can keep a lot more momentum with it.

It loses points in it's 'game breaker' status since it takes away the necessity for accuracy a lot of time and sometimes reverts the gameplay to just button mashing, but as long as there are obstacles that can't be solved by it and still require some strategy, it's not that harmful. I still prefer it as a default move for Sonic since I feel he needs a permanent edge over the others. If Tails can abuse fly all he wants without fear of ever losing it, why can't Sonic have his 'cheaty move'.

14. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    ...then you adapt? You make it sound like the brain is incapable of storing different instructions for different situations, even if they are somewhat similar.

If char=="Sonic":
    midjumpattack=insta-shield
    Else:
    ....midjumpattack=null
    ....midjump=evade

If even this is too complicated for you (impersonal), then I really have no words. :colbert:

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The Knuckles comment was a joke- I think you're taking this rather much too seriously. I've never bothered with the insta-sheild move. That's it.

16. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I think the insta shield is prime example of being boring but practical. It helps the game, but rarely makes it any more thrilling to play.

17. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    Honestly, the first one that comes to mind is the Light Speed Dash. It's really only because I love SA2 so much, but there are some legitimate reasons to it. First, it allows Sonic to grab rings AND give him a burst of speed (despite it being slower than running in some games). Second, it's awesome and you should love it it looks cool. ...These aren't good reasons, are they... I'm jumping over to the Homing Attack. It allows him to reach further distances that normal jumps wouldn't be able to accomplish... but it's the cause of all those Bubbles chains...

Wow, this isn't as easy as it seems. I'm sticking to the Light Speed Dash: its acronym is LSD and I'm immature at heart.

18. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    I do get quite a thrill when using it to fight Big Arm in Launch Base, but you're right that such moments are rare.

The solution is to make more parts of the game interact with the insta-shield, I think. It all comes down to level design. Even the homing attack wouldn't be much of a thrill in say, Knuckles Chaotix (the spin dash sure isn't).

19. Hukos

Hukos

Aye. Makes me wish standard S3&K would let you insta-shield without activating Super/Hyper Sonic. :argh:

Does spindash jumping count? Cause I used that lot in SA1 to get past sections where you're *supposed* to Light Dash (Like the alternate path in Windy Valley 2 as Sonic, you can spindash jump over instead of needing the Light Dash).

20. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I personally love the Insta-shield, especially if you lost all your rings during the Big Arms boss, which tends to happen to me while playing Sonic 3. :v: Really you just need to know exactly when to press the jump button again, it's not difficult to use at all. xP