don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    What's that? Classic Sonic is playable in Unleashed PC? Well then.
    In the middle of working on this I began to wonder why I seem so stuck on Generations-inspired mixes. I think it's because out there in the vast land of the Internet, there are so, so many terrible attempts at Classic/Modern/White Space/what have you songs that I feel the need to be the exception to what feels like a rule by now. Good fan-made Generations-style remixes can exist, and they will so long as I have a say. :argh:

...unless I'm overestimating myself and my attempts aren't all that great. If that's the case, I'mma go sulk in a corner now. ;_;

EDIT: Okay, I'm seriously not sure if he's playable. Sorry for the crappy assumption. :(

2. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    This is super cool!

Also, where was it said that Classic Sonic would be playable in Unleashed PC? I think Dario said in the latest Moddb update it would be Modern Sonic only (for now, anyway).

3. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Seriously though, it's just a theoretical thing I'm trying. Seriously.

4. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Uh-oh. that was dumb if that was legitimate. :specialed:

Nice remix though.

5. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    It wasn't.

It wasn't.

Move along.

6. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

I getcha. :ssh:

Certainly is a nice concept.

7. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Updated this a bit. To be honest, it'll probably just stay theoretical one way or the other. Too many complications. Still though, I need to make music for the sake of making music more often.

8. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

Psh, I think you should keep going and post more! I really like it. I've kept it open in another tab all day and re-listen to it every now and then.

9. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Thank you, I really appreciate that. I like the idea of providing my own music for mods, even if there are better people *coughFalkcough* to potentially turn to. I'm thankful for everyone that has allowed me to work on their projects, and that they're happy with what I've come up with so far.

Err, I hope I'm not getting too off-topic here. ._.

10. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Really love where this remix is going. It's begging for a Something Jazzy for Mind sample/reference though ;)
    Can't wait for the finished version!

11. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Well considering I took the main guitar loop from said song, that can be considered a reference. XD;

All seriousness though, the accordion that comes in near the beginning is actually a reference to the synth melody that plays after the guitar loop in Boarder 70. I considered throwing in the "Your mind, your body and your soul" sample somewhere in there too, but between the vocal samples I have already and the fact that there is an existing remix that does so, I don't feel like it's really needed.
    Now that I think about it, borrowing more bits from Boarder 70 might be a good idea since I probably can't do the key change section from the original Windmill Isle Day.

12. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
  13. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I dig it. Dig it greatly. Is that as far as you are going to take it, or are you going to loop it with a bit of variation?

14. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Considering it sits at a runtime of about 1:30, I feel like I should probably be doing more, but at the same time I kind of want to add one more section and call it a day (so to speak).

15. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    (I hope I'm not gonna get in trouble for spamming/being too off-topic) Updated the song again. Added a (final?) section, and looped it once. This is definitely the quickest I've gotten through a remix, but I'm not quite happy with this one. It feels too short as-is, but I don't know in what way to extend it; with the guitar loop I have, I can't really do something along the lines of the key-change section from the original... not without getting real creative. (Spoiler Alert: I'm not good at being real creative.)

16. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    The song sounds pretty nice, though something I'd like to see some of you musicians do is pull a Generations and take only the style of the original song and make your own melody. Your song is pretty nice, but it's still obviously the original windmill isle. It'd be cool to see some people make tracks that are more related to the originals in style rather than score, is what I'm saying.

17. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    The remix is a bit too loungy for my taste; Too much nonchalance, not enough warmth.

18. synchronizer

synchronizer

I really wish that you had access to some better instruments, because I really like the windmill isle remix in general. The strings sound a bit too Microsoft Wavetable/Quicktime synth-like.

Out of curiosity, what software are you using?

19. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    You have my permission to go off topic as much as you like!
    P.S. Are you taking any remix requests ?!
    p.p.s don't worry about length, its better to spend time in fine tuning and optimizations than length.
    Afterall your working on a lot of things at once. In situations like this, one person can only do so much.

20. I quite like it, although I find the samples from Sonic Rush to be kinda off putting.