don't click here

Sonic CD now out for everything except Nintendo consoles

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Retroman

Retroman

Oh yeah, you can play gamecube games on Wii. Forgot about that ._.'

But you obviously need a gamecube/classic controller and a gamecube save memory on ebay.

2. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    You can't use the Classic Controller for GameCube games.

3. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    You can buy the Genesis to Gamecube adapter I found some guy selling.

Or the SNES Retroport.

4. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Is there any way to change the resolution outside of the video setup? Thanks to a beautiful combination of Wine and a Dual-monitor setup, the only resolution it's showing is 3046x1050, when in fact I would far prefer to play at my primary display's native 1680x1050.

5. I liked the re-release of Sonic CD. It's good to have the best of both Japanese and US Soundtracks, as well as some of the minor improvements they did to it.

However... I still get angry when I die to Robotnik's death laser during the race with Metal Sonic. I mean, I don't get how it doesn't kill you the first time at the beginning, but once the race begins, run run run!

The special stages are also another slight irritation since its hard to judge how far away I am in order to jump into the UFOs. I swear that I have actually jumped through some of them and nothing happened.

Still, its a good classic that I enjoy re-playing. I always seem to discover something new in it.

If it's not too much to ask, you wouldn't happen to still have this, would you? The links expired and I just got Sonic CD on Steam yesterday and would love to explore that RSDK file. :)

6. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Sonic CD is missing from the Spanish PS Store. It has been some time since I can't find it ( since they last upgraded the PS store to the new design), and some other games are missing too ( like Jet Set Radio or The Simpson arcade), but PSn opened today an online PSN store website and I tried to look for Sonic CD there...with no results either.

Sonic CD is 100% gone from Spanish PS3. You can't find the game, demos, avatars, or trailers...nothing. I've tried looking over other European stores ( like the UK one) and there is no problem there, the game shows up when you use the search function, or you go to the Sonic section, but there is absolutely absent in the Spanish one. And is not because of me, I know of several other people with the same problem.

So, if you're Spanish, you cannot buy Sonic CD off Playstation Network. Shouldn't Sega know this?

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    They might not want it to have more success than their Sonic 4 Episode whatevers. :specialed:

8. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    Okay Im not gonna read an entire 210 thread so here it goes.

Im playing this game on my ps3 right and I got to the Metallic Madness. I already got all the time stones and did the good future in all the stages. Why did I got a bad future at metallic madness?

9. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    For some reason, there's a bug that occurs, where the third Act will lead to a Bad Future, even with all the Time Stones. It happens whenever you quit the game in the second Act of any Zone, and then continue that very same save file. Strangely enough, though, the stage clear text still acknowledges the fact that a Good Future was created.

10. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    The Taxman, you say the Antlion enemy is from R2. You probably mean the scissor faced enemy that bursts out of the ground in the ruins area in the uncut extended ending video, right? If so does that mean the ruins level shown there is in fact R2? Also, this boss was shown in the Sonic CD developers diary, is it from R2 as well? File:SCDconcept-R2Boss.jpg

Also, do you happen to know the real name of R2?

I ask cause I'm documenting stuff about R2 in the wiki article: R2

11. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Maybe you can dig something useful for your article here? Soselocke had a translation of the JAP article but the link's dead :(

12. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Very little remained of R2 when I was working on Sonic CD. No level tiles, no name. The only things I can shed light on are some of the enemies and boss graphics from the digitiser files.

[​IMG]

From these it's pretty easy to confirm R2 as the second animated clip in the ending credits. You can also see a "wheel" type boss in the works, although the bottom half looks incomplete.

When you consider that Toei animation studios would have started work on the cutscenes early on in development one could assume that Tidal Tempest originally wasn't part of the intended level line up.

13. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    :O

Ahhhhhhhhhh....no way! Thanks for sharing, it's amazing to see lost art like this!

14. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Well that just set a very good tone for this week. Thank you for sharing that with us! Wow.

15. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Wow, thanks for sharing that stuff. I only just found out today from this topic there was concept art for enemies and the boss for R2, and already I get to see this. Hope this luck somehow keeps up!

Since you've been so involved with Sonic CD, have you seen anymore of that lost bonus round? It's a shame that didn't somehow get remade for your port.

16. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.

God they gotta get you working on Sonic 1-3 remakes. the stuff you could learn...

17. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Cool discovery. Were these guys planned for revival in your Desert Dazzle stage?

The animations imply they were all intended to pop out from the ground and surprise attack, giving the idea the level would have been quite worrisome to run around in.

I think Sonic 2 and Knux Chaotix have the most potential, they were infamously unfinished and stand the best chance of getting their full potential discovered...

...And then SEGA would cut it again due to being too different from the original game. :P

18. Mosqui

Mosqui

Wow, now this is something you don't see every day.
    The idea of a spring on the back of the boss is so strange to me, yet it's also a clever idea.
    Imagine running after him and hitting the spring, to be sent back a far way. It also defends Eggman in that regard.
    Thanks for sharing these, Taxman.

19. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Okay, that's very cool. Nice work, Taxman! It would've been cool to have R2, Desert Dazzle and Final Fever as DLC, but it seems that ship has long sailed, it seems.

20. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    That's amazing, Taxman! = D Never thought we'd see any tangible remains of the R2 stage beyond the ending animation and the existing concept art shown in the Developer Diary video. Great to see not only the artwork for the ant-lion enemy, but also for a drill-hand enemy and a worm enemy too. The drill enemy does indeed look like it would have likely functioned identically to S1's Burrobots; the worm enemy, however, is less obvious - I can't for the life of me figure out what it was meant to do looking at the art that exists!

I also agree that the boss art appears only half-finished, as the 'wheel' on the bottom has no detail whatsoever. This, combined with the minor art differences between the R2/R8 versions on the ant-lion, suggests to me that this art would probably have received some further development and a final polish if it had gone on to be used in the finished game - similar to the unused Triceratops enemy from the Sonic 2 prototypes which, despite being unused in all versions we have, received revisions to its' art somewhere between the Simon Wai prototype and drx's "Beta 4".