don't click here

Sonic Before the Sequel Aftermath

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by LakeFeperd, Nov 24, 2012.

1. You-Are-Pwned

You-Are-Pwned

Apparently, that's what the Chrono guy should be saying. Found this while looking for various stuff in the code:

Code (Text):
    1. CHRONO: HI
    2. CHRONO: I'm NOT REALLY SUPPOSED TO BE TALKING YOU SEE
    3. CHRONO: WHY I'm IN HORIZON HEIGHTS BTW?
    4. CHRONO: OMG, WHY IS THIS SO LONG... WELL,  THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE JUST A TEST.
    5. CHRONO: WHAT? A TEXT BOX

2. Yarharhar

Yarharhar

Oldbie
    Danke'
    Mystery solved!

3. You-Are-Pwned

You-Are-Pwned

Found some more hidden lines. This time, a mysterious Peth appears, also more interaction from Chrono:

Code (Text):
    1. ????: HI, I'm PETH
    2. PETH: I THINK I'm THE VILLAN...
    3. PETH: WELL, I don't SEEM LIKE ONE...
    Code (Text):
    1. CHRONO: HI, I'm CHRONO.
    2. CHRONO: SO, THIS IS A TEXT BOX TEST, RIGHT?       WELL, SEE YA!

4. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Played this game, and I'm also bothered by the apparent lack of savestates as well. Got access to five-six different areas and unlocked two of the upgrades, and yet the next time I opened it I was back to square one.

Otherwise I liked it. Some of the music I don't recall being in BTS '12-then again, I haven't finished the final boss(es).

5. Question, what's the music used in Fortress Flaw? Or the part where you get the sword? I have most of BtS's OST on my iPhone and I want to know what song that is in particular as I can't find it anywhere.

6. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

Spark the electric jester
    @Yarharhar
    It's a character from my next game. I used him as a test for the text box system.
    and that peth guy was just an idea I've already dropped, instead, eggman will be the main villan.

@Chaos Hedgie
    it's a beta version of what was supposed to be Technology Tree Zone in ATS, the final came out differently but I love this one soo much I decided to put it into the game.
    it was made by Funk Fiction.

7. would you happen to have a link to it?

8. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    I am wondering if you can redefine keys ...?

It is very awkward to play on Dvorak... http://www.tmeeco.eu/BitShit/DvorakS.jpg

9. You-Are-Pwned

You-Are-Pwned

Here is the Fortress Flaw track ripped directly from the game:

Download Link

10. I love you forever. Thank you

11. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

@You-Are-Pwned

haha, I knew people would do things like that one day =P
    I kinda left a message on BTS (both BTS'12 and the original) for hackers, try to find it if you can.

@TmEE
    Yes, just do the thing in the first screen of the game.

12. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    -----
    OLD:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

the "sequel" to this game is still going strong
    this is just some few screen shots, enjoy

13. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Nooooo stop! Stop making good looking games when I haven't been able to start anything!

But seriously. Where do you come up with the art and act tropes?

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Darn it, how do you keep releasing such good looking games? Regardless, I look forward to this followup adventure.

15. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Oh man that's pretty. :3

Can't wait, Lake. Keep up with the good work.

16. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

@Tiller
    Tropes don't really exist, just like the definition of art.
    Think of what's going to be in your level.

Like, the level's gonna be high up in the sky, but with a 100 volcanos constantly shooting out plasma beans into another planet, that's gonna crash into earth, unless you make the plasma beams stronger by trowing a crystal into one of the volcanos.

See? or that exanple didnt help. =/

17. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

New one:
    [​IMG]
    Same concept as Sugar Splash act 3, underwater level that's not really under... water...

18. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    My process so far has been building up what exactly the general trope is, then adding a twists to keep it fresh and unique, come up with a name that clearly defines it, then plan out gimmicks that work and make sense within the confines of the act. Then again, I'm trying to be more surreal than totally fantasy. Your acts just seem to come out so different, like Sugar Splash and Parhelion Peak.

Like right now I don't have the time or resources to start putting together something playable. I just have lots of notes I jot down when I think I come up with something cool or some sort of potential ideas to test out.

Example:
    Act trope: Forest/woods in a valley
    Unique Twist: Wide view, twisting/spiral/looping trees, 3 forest layers, treehouse setpieces
    Name: Winding Woodland
    Gimmicks - Knothole tubes, Traversable treetops, bending pole branches, spiral treebranch loops, lumberjack themed enemies

19. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

@Tiller
    Well, sugar splash was crealy based of hydrocity act 1, which is already a pretty "trope-less" stage. (a giant cathedral almost drowned in water with badniks that shoot shells out of their back and run away? I've never seen something like it anywhere else) but I replaced the cathedral theme with sugar and built up on it.

On PPZ well, it all started because of one music track: Combat night zone by maxiedaman.
    And one day I accidentally named the song Combat Carnival zone and since as planned from the beggining of the game, on that spot on the map, there had to be a snow level.
    Sometime before I got the concept for this level done I had a class which the teacher taught about a perhelion, something we don't see where I live since there's no snow.

By getting those 3 words in bold:
    Combat: those big badniks in the background
    Carnival...
    Snow...
    And a parhelion...

I made Parhelion Peak Zone

here's a tip for your forest level:who said a forest needs to have lumberjacks or even trees? =P

I know it looks like stupid thing to do but the more random you are the better. For an exanple, foliage furnace doesn't have any trees and still looks like somekind of a forest.

20. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Heh. I'm pretty deadset on a wood forest with my concept. The lumberjack thing was more for badnick design to fit with the theme of deforestation.

Anywho I liked how at the end of BTSA you had a concept gallery and explained some things. Looking at the credits zone for ATS, it seems you have a good bit written down with trivia. Seeing your thought process is cool, so continue to add stuff like that. Gives a lot of good insight. Your saga's inspired me to start planning my own thing. I just hope you know what you're doing with this new game.