don't click here

General Questions and Information Thread

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Andlabs, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Over the last few days I've been making pages for SC-3000 software. It's an awkward task because emulation is hit-and-miss and there's not much documentation. Also I'm pretty sure Wikipedia is lying.

Question 1:

Wikipedia says the SC-3000H has more RAM - I don't think it does, and that it's only improvement is a better keyboard. My impression is that RAM made available to cassette based games is dependent on the BASIC cartridge used. My assumption, because the SC-3000 can't function without a cartridge inserted, is that SC-3000Hs were bundled with a "better" BASIC cartridge (Level III B vs. Level III A?) and mislabled by distributors. Who is right?

Question 2:

Between this category and this talk page (note there are some spelling errors) I am hoping I have covered every SC-3000 cassette and disk in existence. Or at least in Australia and New Zealand. I'm missing the educational cartridges from Japan and presumably craploads from France (and Italy and Finland). Any hints to what I'm missing?

Question 2B:

I noticed a trend of Commodore 64 text adventures by Softgold being ported to the SC-3000 by Dotsoft.

Out of this C64 list
    http://www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemon64.com/games/list.php%3Fpublisher%3DSoftgold
    I have found SC-3000 versions of Alien, Ninja, The Search for King Solomon's Mines, The Secret of Bastow Manor and Skull Island.

The Case of the Mad Mummy exists but for some reason it's called Super Sleuth Series. I don't know why

are there ports of Murder on the Waterfront and Nuclear War Games?

In a lot of cases, there aren't any dumps, scans or even good photos, so I genuinely don't know what some of this stuff is. Most of the screenshots I've taken come from disk compilations and I'm making assumptions that software received commercial, stand alone releases. This is a topic that even SMS Power hasn't covered in huge detail so it's all a mystery to me.

2. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    http://sega.jp/pc/ufo/ so there's a PC game (billed as "interactive movie") that Sega released in Japan based on the 1970s television series UFO. Has this game been released outside Japan? I can't seem to find much information by searching for "UFO TV show video game", "UFO series video game", or "Gerry Anderson's UFO video game" (and the same but with interactive movie) and everything else is just too vague...

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Wikipedia says the arcade version of OutRun was released on the 20th of September 1986 in Japan. Is that date reliable - there's a few sites saying similar things but I've not found a credible source. I know the game was released in September of 1986 for sure, but it's rare to have an exact day for an arcade game. Usually databases just list the nearest month because distribution can be a challenge.

If anyone has exact days for other notable Sega arcade games (Hang-On, Space Harrier, After Burner, Virtua Fighter, Daytona USA etc. etc. etc.) that would be great for the new front page.

4. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Not sure if I asked this already but http://sega.jp/fb/segahard/sg1000_2/gallery.html lists
    1984年 [電子] トミー「ぴゅう太-mkII」発売
    a Tomy-made compuer that doesn't seem to be related at all to the SG-1000, but it's listed alongside the SG-1000 mk II variants? Is there some support module here that I am missing?

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Those lists just detail major events which happened in that year, including when rival systems launched. The Tomy Pyuuta/Tomy Tutor Mk II was a rival to the SC-3000 in Japan.

The Mark II is essentially a Tomy Tutor with a mechanical keyboard (similar to the SC-3000/SC-3000H). The computer had similar specs to what Sega were putting out at the time, but it wasn't half as successful in the marketplace.

6. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Thanks. I know that the list is all events from the year, I just find it unusual that they put the Tomy Tutor part in the second part of the table that in other pages lists things related to the product being talked about rather than in the main table...

7. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Galaxy Force II arcade has a sound sample that says "You have crashed." it his ever heard in game? I just tried crashing in every revision of the game and it says nothing. Thanks.

8. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    http://nicoviewer.net/sm12904944 at around 3:31 we see footage of Metal Fist, which is the name Fighting Force (that unreleased Saturn game Core Design wanted to be Streets of Rage 4) took in Japan. This video says the Japanese version was to be published by Electronic Arts Victor (EA published the PS1 port in Japan) and would have probably cost ¥5,800.

Same video:
    • 4:02, 4:34, 5:03 - Virtual Theater 1: something something something. Virtual Theater 2: This Boy's Life, Virtual Theater 3: Interceptor - unreleased? (Success)
    • (TODO)

9. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Anyone know if these AC adapters are any good? The idea of one plug for both my Genesis Model 1 and Sega CD Model 2 is appealing (ever since a clock and some medicinal equipment ended up requiring plugs from the same power strip), but I'm wary of third-party AC adapters.

10. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    How many values did the analog stick on dreamcast have? 255? 512? More?

11. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
  12. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Is Rさぶろう丸/R Saburoumaru(?) Takenobu Mitsuyoshi? This name appears in the sound credits to Rent A Hero on MD and it seems to be tied to Mitsuyoshi but I'm not 100% sure... I think R三郎丸 might be a kanji form of the name (according to Google)? Thanks.

13. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    So aside from the Sonic Case, Pen & Pencil (which I posted elsewhere), I also acquired from Japan a copy of the Sonic CD 806 Sample Disc which included this other sample disc with it.

[​IMG]

A sample disc of Urusei Yatsura: Dear My Friends. How readily available is this if you wanted to download an ISO of it? I could always make a dump of this just so that it's more readily available. I'll be sure to do a detail scan of this disc for you guys as there's hardily any out there (the ones that are out there aren't very good). I probably don't plan on keeping this for long as it's not of much interest to me.

14. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    It's not in redump (searched their website now; only the final one is there) or TOSEC (TOSEC-v2012-12-28; not present at all (though Urusei Yatsura on other platforms are)) and I don't seem to be able to search through Hyperspin's database without setting up their tools (and Underground Gamer's "v1.2 Final, dated 08/28/2012" torrent doesn't have the game at all), so I don't know if it's out there elsewhere... I added a scanbox to the Sega Retro page to document its existence in our database, at least :/

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Didn't the current BIN+CUE have a small error in an audio track?

If that's the case and I'm not remembering incorrectly, it might still be worth a re-rip.

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Question
    [​IMG]
    All the Pico Japanese -> English translations are iffy (here's our/my list) but subtitles are a big problem

I have this (ドラえもん のびたとまいごのきょうりゅう) down as Doraemon Nobita to Maigo no Kyouryuu. Should it be that, or Doraemon: Nobita to Maigo no Kyouryuu? (note the colon)

I've been converting names written as title ~subtitle~ and title -subtitle- into title: subtitle because we don't use tildes like that in English, but the dodgy translations and lack of scans means I have no idea what's "correct" when it comes to these systems. Doesn't help that I know next to nothing about Japanese

and christ knows what's to be done about this noise:
    [​IMG]
    which has been listed as

Shichida Makoto Kanshuu Unou Image Training Sansuu Eigo de Mojars ni Chousen THE ARITHMETIC & ABC FIGHT VS MOJARS
    (七田 眞 監修 右脳イメージトレーニング さんすう・えいごでモジャーズに挑戦 THE ARITHMETIC & ABC FIGHT VS MOJARS)

clearly wrong, but what's right?

17. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    With the colon. Doraemon and Nobita are two different characters.

18. Nado The Rabbit

Nado The Rabbit

Dork Next Door Member
    Canada
    I'm currently working on my Sonic fanfiction, Carnation.
    I've contributed to the Sonic Wiki, yet it doesn't say the number of edits next to my posts like it does for everybody else. Does anybody have an idea as to why that is? (I'm hoping this thread is the right place to ask. If not, my apologies.)

19. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    List of questions time!

• Does the Hikaru arcade board use removable media (ROM carts, etc.)? The most I could find was an auction for a Planet Harriers JP PCB that suggested it did not
    • What about the Aurora board? I couldn't find any PCBs for this board and System 16 doesn't have info
    • What about Sega G80 and Sega System E and Europa (Sega Rally 3 and GRID) boards?
    • Do we know if Company of Heroes 2 will receive a retail release yet? What about the Japanese version of Rusty Hearts?
    • Is Godsrule: War of Mortals for PC confirmed to be web browser only?
    Thanks.

20. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop