don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Has anyone tried to make a level interesting enough that it can be devoid of dashpads and the generic speed gimmicks? I'm thinking of attempting just that and relying on the slopes and the base game physics to do some interesting things to fill out a level.

2. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Somebody uploaded an interesting mod concept today... or, at least, I think it's neat.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP5RGXJjQnI
    The guy's asking if anybody thinks he should make it a full project, so anybody else who likes it should probably speak up in the comments. I'd hate to see the idea abandoned, personally.

3. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Heeey, it's the Generations version of Sonic: Return to Origin! I'd love to see more of this, personally.

4. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Meh, this is has too many problems for me to care, honestly.

5. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    It was kind of interesting at first, but around the half-way it just started to look too clunky for my interest.

6. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I'd like to think that he'd polish it a bit more if he decided to make it a full project.

7. brianuuu

brianuuu

Sonic Colors Porting
    At least it's not you doing it lol
    Actually it's just reverse placement of dashpads and dash panels, and fix some cameras too

8. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    That makes 2 for 2. When the Dragon Road demo first came out back in the day, I played it a couple of times and then decided to never touch it again because it basically hardlocked my PC - or, more specifically, SonicGenerations.exe buried the needle and was basically using up 99% of my CPU cycles. It took me nearly 30 minutes to terminate the process.

Well, I decided to try again, and once again, it happened.

[​IMG]

Thankfully it only took ten minutes to terminate the process, this time.

Both times this has happened I was in the level and exited back to White World, if that helps track down what is causing the problem. The first time it happened, I was not using the fxpipeline renderer, but this time I definitely was. It has never happened in vanilla Sonic Generations, only the Dragon Road demo.

9. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    The original Dragon Road demo had some left-over scripting for some stuff even if the objects in the White World weren't actually there. It probably worked fine for most people, but in rare occasions it would probably access corrupted memory(in one occassion I remember the whole lighting changing and getting corrupted, it only happened one time it was trying to access a missing NPC).

I sent you an updated version of the Dragon Road demo if you want to try(the version Cobanermani456 played on his channel), it's using one of our cleaned up LUA scripts for getting rid of all the basic game progression stuff, and just using linear unlocking. It'll probably be more stable, but then again, the format on that HUB might be a bit outdated or not, which could also cause some unstability. If that doesn't solve it then it might just be the game being unstable just because, given it seems to crash/freeze in the vanilla stages very often too.

PC Specs might also help.

10. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I just tried the demo yesterday (yes I'm late I know), and after the second game over, I decided not to continue and it crashed.

11. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

Yeah, still freezes my system after exiting from the stage back to White World.

Edit: I should specify that when I mean "exiting from the stage back to white world", I mean through the pause menu. If I finish the level, it takes me back to the white world without freezing.

12. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Did you use the mod I gave you standalone and deleted the previous one, or you updated it with the files? I recommend you to delete the previous mod and just use the folder I gave you first.

I've tested trying to reproduce this issue and I haven't crashed at all(including entering/quitting like 5 times). If what I said above doesn't fix it, I'm just gonna assume it's a hardware related problem and something I can't really track. Again, this HUB terrain format is a bit outdated so it might just be that...

13. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

All life form data, successfully copied! Member
    At my home in Florida
    Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
    Hey Dario, I've got a "question" about SonicGMI, and 2 "questions" about SonicGlvl that I'd like to ask you.

1.) I'd like to "report a bug" that SonicGMI (or more specifically, CPKRedir) seems to have. For some odd reason, using mods that modify the sound cpk files occasionally causes the game to just stop loading anything while on any loading screen. The game doesn't freeze, but the loading screen never ends.

2.) Is there any way to import .model files into 3DS Max with their original vertex coloring intact?
    I'm asking this because quite a few of the game's models appear to use very specific (and non-simple) vertex coloring (as in, not a single simple value for an entire element.) For example, I can actually notice the difference between the vertex coloring in Modern Sonic's original model and the vertex coloring in an imported version of the exact same model (with the exact same textures, and the exact same materials.)

3.) I highly doubt that this will ever be possible, but I figured I'd ask anyway. Will SonicGlvl ever have the ability to import models that utilize morphers/vertex animations (such as Sonic's cutscene model, or the Classic Signpost)?

14. darkspines35

darkspines35

It's Easy Actually. No, seriously. Tech Member
    .V.
    Sanik Adevnt Casters
    Well I can tell you a new import script isn't the best option here. IIRC, MaxScript has very wonky support for both normals and vertex colours importing.

15. I have a question, I want to have a look at some models and animations in 3ds max, how do I import them? There's nothing on the wiki about it.

16. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

Yeah, I deleted the old files before using the new ones. :\

17. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

I have no idea what's going on. Member
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    I recently came across this as well. It doesn't always do it, just sometimes, and seemingly at random. Not sure if it only does it after the custom music plays or if it can do it anytime, as I haven't tested that yet (and the random nature of the load-freeze makes it hard to really test anyway).

EDIT: Further playing suggests that it only seems to do it on the same level as the replaced music, and usually when pausing and hitting "Quit Stage", or hitting "No" after beating a challenge mission for that zone. Oddly enough, even though I replaced the music for Classic Speed Highway, the bug happened in Act 2 as well. No other levels caused the freeze though.

18. StR Speedy

StR Speedy

Starlight Carnival
    Colors Porting
    I'm having a tough time installing the havoc content tools to 3ds max. I've got it downloaded, just the way I installed it because it didn't select the directory directly (going into program files > autodesk > 3ds max and placing the file) isn't working. I can't select the content tools. How do I need to install the content tools?

Edit: Content tools are working now, but the easy ogre max exporter is on the fritz. Every time I try opening it in the plugin manager, I get error 126 - the specified module could not be found. Copying the file into the "plugins" folder yields error 127. Also, the exporter started malfunctioning after I got the Havoc content tools successfully installed. Any suggestions?

19. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

Also a request, if I may make one: Could more people working on levels and stuff start using Moddb? I was going to say, "Somebody should make a centralized mod hub for Generations", and then I realized that's kind of what Moddb is, in a more general sense. Being able to pull up the "Mods For: Sonic Generations" page and see a listing of everything available is way more convenient than having to search on Youtube.

I will say I am pleasantly surprised to see more people are on Moddb than I thought, though. But more people need to be using it! Even if it's just for one level, Moddb has encouraged developers to fill out a mod profile for that kind of stuff in the past. I'd honestly say anyone developing any kind of Sonic Generations mod should get a Moddb page for it. Makes it easier on everyone.

20. StR Speedy

StR Speedy

Starlight Carnival
    Colors Porting
    I can export now! Woot! The problem now is that when I want to import the .scene file into SonicGLvl, after locating the file and selecting open, I get a pop-up box asking: "Do you want to re-import any conflicting materials?" No matter which option I choose, SonicGLvl closes out and nothing else happens. What do I do now?