don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (MD) Pre-Release?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mr. Verne, Feb 5, 2013.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Please scan as much of it as you can. There might be tiny differences in the labels/package that give away that it's a rerelease.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    While we're debunking myths

[​IMG]

this "Press Start Button" text, unused in the "standard" version of the game, shows up in Mega Games 10/Sega Top Ten/10 Super Jogos.

or at least it does in the ROM I have in front of me. The assumption is that all three compilations use the same ROM but lack of documentation/dumps etc.

3. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    I scanned the cart at the time: Front / Back. Elusive actually sent me the cart originally and I returned it to him after dumping it.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Didn't somebody here say at one point that the PRESS START BUTTON text doesn't actually appear only because some RAM address is wrongly set or something?

Perhaps the game select menu in the compilation does set the correct initial value to what it should be for it to work... or something.

5. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    http://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG_How-to:Display_the_Press_Start_Button_text

6. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    So a week's gone past already. Unless I'm mistaken, there was no video uploaded.

7. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    He is saying in the next couple of days.

8. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    This is why I hate stuff being announced ahead of time. The wait is unbearable and there's 100% always delays. It's just hard to keep promises and it's better for everyone to always keep quiet. Something I'll always stick by, especially after that EWJ2 proto that was a fluke. :argh:

9. HyperGHZ

HyperGHZ

Hi, Yes I regret putting this out there before It was in my hands. I told myself I would wait until I had it but then I posted a day later.... I had to order the package to my work with my work card & I'm waiting for them to approve my flight back... I am holding my breath like everyone else until I am able to get back but hoping for the yellow snorkel with infinite air...

10. HyperGHZ

HyperGHZ

I just got my hands on this today!! I have no genesis here but I can fly back to play it in a few days...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Can anyone translate this?

11. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    It just says Sonic the Hedgehog in JP.

I guess that confirms it's likely not a pirate. Looks like another wait now, though :v:

12. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    There's no need to really translate it since it's just the Japanese translation of "Sonic the Hedgehog".
    Actually, now I'm interested. If it has Japanese writing on the cartridge, we might be onto something here. Maybe it's a prototype after all!

13. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    This is getting interesting now...that Telegames sticker might be something too. Telegames is an Atari era developer who are know to release unreleased games from other companies,like they did with Raiden on the Atari Lynx. I doubt they were going to release Sonic, but it's fishy.

14. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Good to hear it isn't a pirate. Hopefully it'll have a few interesting differences.

15. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Not that I can claim to know my protos well, but it's not on a typical board Sega with numerous EPROMs like I've seen most Genesis protos, so that already gives me the impression it's something even more final than a review "proto" that was sent to magazines.

16. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Just got up to speed with this, and wow this is rather exciting! I do hope that we get something good out of this, even if it isn't the pre-release version of the game.

Just to set the record straight, when you guys talk about this being the "pre-release" version of Sonic 1, you're talking about the 1990 Tokyo Toy Show demo cartridge or a variation of it, right?

17. Skaarg

Skaarg

We really don't know, and won't know until we see video of it. Since it was sent to a company it likely was a review copy for magazines or stores somewhere and it was received between a few months prior or right before release. Really no use speculating though because it's impossible to tell from what we have. So it's best to just sit back and wait.

18. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    Any variation of it, really. I'm just hoping this one has an actual working rolling ball in Green Hill Zone. :specialed:
    + - By the way, if this ends up actually being a prototype and not the 40-lives pirate, I demand that HyperGHZ gets the Researcher status, PRONTO.  

19. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    If we're lucky the prototype might have working S monitor. The S monitor was working in this prototype:

http://info.sonicretro.org/File:ComputerandVideoGamesJune1991_1.jpg

20. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Wow, I'm holding up some high hopes for this now, don't disappoint!!