don't click here

Project AXSX (Sonic Xtreme and SONIC CD REMIX A 2.5D game)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Andrew75, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    First enemy officially in the game.
    Even works with fisheye.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I can't wait until I have a home to renovate. Aren't you excited?

3. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Yeah its exciting, bank (not back) breaking, and fun working on my house!
    Not as much fun as working on sonic games, but close enough.

Kind of going off topic here,
    I can't resist the temptation to work on AXSX , maybe it's to much of an obsession, am I crazy ?
    perhaps I am crazy to want to continue,

This project has always had so many hair pulling technical hurdles slowing it down, its not as easy as compared to making your standard sonic game.
    We are still facing many technical problems, with collisions, cameras, and a few small random issues that even a some pro programmers have become stumped over.
    (mainly because of the nature for system combinations such as World rotations, Rotating gravity system, fisheye and how udk handles collisions vs the previous mentioned)
    I've been in contact with various professional programmers in the game industry who could not help salve some of the issues. (one from Lionhead studios, EA games and Raven software to name a few)
    Some programmers simply looked at the code and said some things are impossible given the complexity of the requirements and the way UDK is set up.
    I'm actually thinking to pay someone in the future to help finish programming for this project.
    I think its a burden, and a real pain for Xak, Xeniczone, and a few others who did the main programming, having me on there heals requesting fixes all the time.
    Its not a simple project by any means, and right now I have the feeling to quit in frustration. Always seems to be some new issues popping up.
    (but you know what? the other side of my conscious says I really should keep going to finish what I started)
    By the time the game is finished, I have the feeling only a hand full of you will even be interested in playing this game, since it does not follow the traditional Sonic formula.

4. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I really hope you don't quit due to frustration. Everything you have done is really good, it's certainly inspiring.

5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Nah, don't quit Andrew. Just take a break!

6. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Just had to pop by and add some vocal support for this project, Andrew75 - from what you've shown, you've got an amazing sense of attention to detail which has been evident in your recreations of levels from the development materials, videos and magazine scans. It's also got to be quite mind-bending trying to take the X-treme gameplay concepts, which to be honest only seemed roughed-out in any functional form, and develop from there into something that can support an actual full-length game. If you're getting so frustrated that you're honestly thinking of throwing the towel in, I have to agree with AerosolSP's suggestion of taking a break from the project for a bit - sometimes a rest is as good as a change! Plus, it'd be a shame to see all your hard work up to this point go to waste. Also:

This is actually what interests me the most about this project. Rather than "just another Sonic game" with visuals based on X-treme, I'm interested to see how you've made this game differ from the standard formula. The most interesting aspects for me would be both how gameplay concepts from the original X-treme project have been developed and implemented, as well as your own further developments using those ideas as a starting point. It's an opportunity to really work outside of the standard formula - a sort of "what if 3D Sonic hadn't gone the direction it did" scenario. You've got pretty much free reign to come up with something fun and inventive that can diverge in many ways from what people currently think of as "Sonic", and personally I'm looking forward to seeing what that is! = )

7. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Oh no, I'm not quiting lol
    I think you guys misunderstood. ( or I didn't explain very well due to being frustrated and venting steam)
    Afterall its still my dream to finish this project.
    I'm just going on about how crazy the project is making me feel these days.

As a sort of way to make things clear:
    Right now the project has a few technical setbacks that don't seem to be working out.
    Some areas in many levels will be 100% unplayable because of some of these technical problems.
    Its hard to be motivated and want to continue work on levels, as I'm afraid that if I do, than many months of modeling, and level set up work to come will be wasted.

Not to mention the past few months of official Def file clean up.
    Had to clean up over 35 official levels containing 1000s of polygons 1 by 1, so that they would be 100% optimized and ready for the game engine.
    Even after doing all that, it may not matter if they are not going to work in the engine.
    So basically the project is stuck at a stand still with lots of assets just sitting around waiting to be finished, since I'm afraid to finish them.
    If I cant get these issues fixed , it will mean the end to Project AXSX (sonic xtreme) for sure.

Until I get the issues salved by finding, or hiring someone who would help fix them.
    AXSX is going to be sleeping for awhile.
    In the mean time I'll resume work on the easier 2.5D HD Sonic CD Remix.

8. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    Both of your projects are extremely amazing to me, so I'm happy either way.

I remember seeing you post about these games from the Sonic Xtreme forums quite a few years ago. Always remember that during the time you started this all the way up to the present, many projects have came and gone, but yours haven't. Countless fangames have been started and then canceled, but not yours. That really says something.

9. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    News:
    Been helping someone (they will be un-named for now) with a high end HD 3D/2.5D level for there Sonic GDK Project.
    The good news is that in return we get some programing love for sonic Xtreme.
    Reworked controls, multiple bug fixes, Much needed Camera fix and more! ( some of which has been started already)
    Can't Wait !
    In the mean time there will be a few month delay before I'm able come back to work on Xtreme or CD Remix myself.
    However a new Custom Sonic player model for CD remix will be made and than shared with the project that I'm assisting with.
    2 birds with 1 stone so to speak.

10. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    In game sneek peek of my new shader, textures, and model.
    Thats all you get!
    [​IMG]

11. I'm really excited for this project! And I trust you to finish it-- even if it takes years! You have all of my faith.

12. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Oh my, that's beautiful. You can't really tell what's geometry and what is just a normal map. :3

13. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    More than just a normal map and geometry,
    Its a complex shader.

Also off topic here,
    Something that I've noticed, when playing 2.5D sonic game levels,
    It really helps the visuals when using a 120 HZ monitor.
    This way you can see the detail as sonic is running.
    If your on a 60 HZ monitor, Try dragging your window around your desktop, notice how jittery it is ?
    Try reading some text as you drag.

14. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I have used a 120hz monitor for years, and whenever I have to turn it back to 60hz (for old games for example) I find it rather jarring. Or when I am at a friends watching a game, it's terrible!

15. winterhell

winterhell

Yup 120Hz is awesome. Too bad there are no OLED ones out there, the LCD ones have crystal blur so when in motion its not so clear as with 120Hz CRT but still miles ahead of 60Hz LCD :)

16. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Asus makes a nice 144 HZ monitor, not easy to tell the difference between that and 120 HZ, but it is noticeable if you try to pay attention.

Also I just picked up one of Dell's bad boys the other day, with 99% AdobeRGB and 100% sRGB at 1440P
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=225-4148
    Best Monitor I've used since my old 24 inch CRT.
    Standing this bastard next to one of the 2000 dollar panels, I felt the picture was maybe even a little better.

Its only 60 HZ but its just so clear and the color gradients are silky smooth. I can see colors that I forgot existed because of using older LCDs for so long.
    Comparing this here Dell to your standard monitor is like comparing a high end professional Photo printer with photo paper to a standard home printer with normal paper.

Having access to the best of both worlds, You know , It feels really hard to decide whats preferable, a high HZ or the quality of picture.

Its to bad they don't make flat panel monitors with the above monitor's color space, 2560 x 1440 or above resolution and high HZ (120).
    I think there is a 1440P Korean monitor that offers the 120 HZ threw modification, but I read that it has a high burnout ratio.

Perhaps in a few years we will have some nice Oled displays at reasonable prices.
    Man, I really cant wait ! ( also we are getting closer to CRT quality these days)
    But! really sucks that you cant easily get a high end wide-screen CRT anymore.
    My last one died (Sony GDM-FW900 24). ( I wish it had not)

EDIT:
    Aww Crap, re-reading my post, I'm not trying to sound like an advertisement or anything, but my mind was blown, and I must share. :P

EDIT2:
    Imagine using the new Oled flex display tech by Samsung or LG for a high res wrap around monitor like this ?
    [​IMG]

17. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Thanks to Xak's hard work we now have a shiny new camera system for Sonic xtreme.
    Everyone thank Xak for his hard work.

18. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    You don't need to put every sentence you type on a new line, y'know. :v:

19. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Screen of PC version Red Sands level with fully functional spline pathways that were recreated by hand from the leaked .def file data. I would post a video but I think that it would ruin the fun when the new demo is available later this month.
    [​IMG]

Does it really matter? Go Away. :ssh:

20. Truner

Truner

If only you wouldn't use an engine that just can't run on my shitty ass notebook! T_T
    Screen looks nice, yo.
    Here's a new line just for Thousand Pancake.