don't click here

USB Flash Drive Code 10 Help

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Mike Arcade, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

Free Scriber of Mobius Member
    Hi guys, I have a big problem here, my USB flash drive won't read anymore.

You see I turned my computer off while I was using MAME and Start Task Manager (Start Task Manager wouldn't work after I tried using it on MAME and for some reason my computer was frozen) and now my USB that I have all my emulated games on won't work anymore. I keep getting a Code 10, which means that Windows has no idea what's wrong with it, and after looking up what to do, I can say that I've tried EVERYTHING to get it to work again, uninstalling the USB, using demos of Software Recovery Programs (ALL of them wouldn't read the USB), I even rebooted my computer to factory setting (I paniced) and that didn't work! All my other USBs work just fine, but this one won't work and I can't get to my games on there.

I'm at my wits end, do any of you guys have any advice on how I can fix this problem, or at very least help me get my Files out, I'm convinced that my MAME got corrupted or something did but I just want to get as many files saved as possible, I got some rare roms and such on there and I don't want to lose them due to a stupid mistake, hell I've been building that collection for years now! So what do you guys think, is there anyway I can get this USB to work again or at very least get all the files off of there? I'm not gonna lie though, it's a big collection of roms and emulators, about 14 GBs or so of stuff on there.

2. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    Plug in the device, go to device manager and remove the driver and all related to the stick, unplug it and then replug it. It will take a little bit of time to reinstall the drivers and if all goes well things work. If you still get same problem you can go and get a new USB stick. Files you are likely not going to get off it by conventional non-invasive means.

3. Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

I already tried that twice and it didn't work, I DO want to get as many or all my files off there though, how can I get them off?

4. What you are experiencing sounds like the usb has completely stopped working, as in its dead, broken, whatever you want to call it. I've had this happen before so I know what you are going through. One minute it works, the next it doesn't - at all.

However I think you may still have some hope left, btw I am not responsible if you mess up your whole computer, use this following advice at your own risk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-910UxOd8Hc

5. Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

I don't see how this can mess up my whole computer but this sounds like a good idea, although my USB is a little shorter then that, it's a PNY 2.0 (or is it 3.0?) 16 GB Flash Drive, so that might or might not be what I need, I'm also not sure if I have a USB Cable but thank you for the advice, does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Also, can it really be broken like that so easily, I mean I'm sure something like this has happened before when running an emulator but my USB has always been fine?

6. Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

Okay I got some bad news, I did crack open the USB so I could do what was done in the video...BUT since my USB is much shorter then a usual USB I didn't know what to expect...well it looks nothing like in the videos, the inside of the cracked case was just the metal thing I plug in the USB, no chips, nothing like that just a solid metal thing...that's it...

So...does anyone know how I can get this fixed or at least get my files off it? Also as I've mentioned before it's a PNY USB Flash Drive, just letting you know what kind of USB it is.

7. Is it possible for you to post a pic of the usb? Also are there any lights or any sign of activity when it gets plugged in.

8. Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

I do have a digital camera so yeah, I'll get that posted soon, also there are no lights in it, the whole thing is just the tip of where you plug it into the computer.

9. TmEE

TmEE

Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    When the device is recognized by its name/class but inaccessible then the controller is getting connection to the USB, if it was an unknown dovice you may just have snapped connection, which is pretty common.

Those really tiny USB memories got BGA or CSP parts, no way one transplants them to some other device for readback, assuming only the controller is shot and not the memory itself.

10. Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

Okay, I know this took a long time to post but I've been doing some things IRL, anyway I do have pics of my USB without it's case but I can't post them on here, I DID however find a picture of USB's that look pretty much just like mine so here you go.

[​IMG]

My own is a little bit smaller and a complete rectangle, but it's basically similar to these ones.

Is there ANYWAY I can get my data off of here, if not by myself can you guys recomend a place or service that does this kind of thing for a good price? Because I think that's the only way I'll ever get my data off my USB now.

11. TmEE

TmEE

Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    That kind is unlikely to develop broken USB contacts so only thing I can think of is fuxxed NAND. Rocevery services would need to dismantle the stick and take out the NAND and read in on some external device. You likely lose all file system in the proccess. Plus it will cost several thousand dorrals (it would in here).

12. Mike Arcade

Mike Arcade

Shit, really? I remember this website that I was checking that said it would cost about $100 something if they get all the files off it, I'd just have to explain my problem and mail it to them. I mean I might as well get a service like that since from what it sounds like I'd either have a USB that I can't get the data off of it or ship it and risk losing all my files, if I can't get the data off myself I might as well since I'd have nothing to lose as it's technically lost to me anyway right?

If anyone has a service they would recommend or anything else I could try please let me know.