don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (MD) Pre-Release?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mr. Verne, Feb 5, 2013.

1. dsrb

dsrb

It's not Arique's video.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    spoilers: that will be exactly what has happened. If you've got a damaged case for whatever reason, it's not unheard of to swap the backs with one from a "lesser" game so that it will fit in the console or look pretty on a shelf or whatever. It happens.

3. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    That's not me, bro. That's the guy that has this mysterious Sonic 1 cartridge we're clamoring for.

4. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Yeah, I do the case swapping a lot too for titles I care more about than others.

5. Vangar

Vangar

After reading the whole topic, it's definitely a pirate cart. The Ebay listing, the 40 lives, the cheap price-point. There's nothing here that points to it being a real copy. Having an old sticker on it doesn't mean that wasn't printed out years ago by a store employee. Unfortunate.

6. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    I would say to just trash this thread, but I want to see if we get a different outcome instead of us just flat out saying that it's the 40 lives cart.

7. HyperGHZ

HyperGHZ

lol, I guess I am hairy.... I bought them off a seller at an outside antique market. All the acclaim ones had the black tape. ... I've used my games quite a bit but never heard of this though.... never had to switch out the backs??
    I am waiting on some security bit tools so that I can open everything soon...

8. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    I'd like to see some of the gameplay in MK2, I've studied the Genesis version for a while now, so I know the quirks and AI foibles and stuff, so if you can record a few fights that'd be great.

9. Mr. Ksoft

Mr. Ksoft

I have some of these too (including an identical Sonic 3), but I'm dead certain that there is nothing special about them. I'm pretty sure they were just manufactured extremely late in the Genesis's lifespan, after Sega dropped most everything else to focus on the Saturn and turned over the distribution of Genesis stuff to Majesco. I'm guessing they were licensed to keep rereleasing certain games, but used whatever parts they could get their hands on (in this case, Acclaim cases) and just put the sticker over the logo to hide that fact.

10. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    You could always use the old melted pin trick. ;) But of course that damn thing never did work for me. >.< I bought a gamebit from ebay not too long ago. But like I said on Youtube, and like others stated on here someone probably just took the board out of an old damaged shell and put the board in a different one. Anyway, hope to see the Sonic cart soon. ^_^

11. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Damn if I could've seen the thread for that port that day when that was discovered, you must have all lost your shit! never expecting an asset like that being in some common cell phone port.

What made this cell phone port soo different that a lost asset like that would be in there?

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That brings back memories...

They must have received all the old assets SEGA could find to help them develop the port, since cell phones still weren't powerful enough to handle decent emulation.

13. HyperGHZ

HyperGHZ

Interesting, thanx for the info!

14. egel

egel

Cheeseland
    May start a small page about my MD collection.
    You could try needle nose pliers if you happen to have those laying around, works for me.

15. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Or this trick:
    http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/other/diy-gamebit.htm

Works for me!

16. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    As long as we're talking about cartridge oddities, I have this guy:

Scrolling clouds, Labyrinth wavy backdrop, fixed level menu order. It appears to be REV01 in the US, I thought it was Japan-only... maybe some dude swapped it with the later Japanese cartridge, but why?

17. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Sega Top Ten had REV 01 also IIRC.

Edit:

The rom I downloaded just had the weird colors in Scrap Brain lights, maybe I'm just mis-remembering?

18. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    I think that actually stems from an address they forgot to change; the Genesis 6-Pack has it as well.

19. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    An old myth, I have dumped a UK Sonic 1 cart that was Rev 01. It's become pretty obvious it was an international update. Not sure why the wiki says otherwise - citation needed anyone? :v:

20. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    I updated the wiki with that info.