don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (MD) Pre-Release?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mr. Verne, Feb 5, 2013.

1. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    All he's said so far is this:

"It's a loaner cart that was used to take screenshots before the game was released!! It glitches and freezes occasionally & has differences. In about a week, when I am able, I will release some coverage of this. I am a videographer, so rest assured that I will use my panasonic af100 to shoot some properer video @ the correct frame rate =). "

That and the post before it which merely posts the picture.

It says it was posted 21 Hours Ago.

2. HyperGHZ, the owner of the cart, posted on Assemblergames:

3. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Oh wow he posted right after I did. :v: So he doesn't want money yet he wants people to download each "episode"? I'm not too sure if I really would want to download the episodes, I just don't like downloading videos honestly. :\ But if they're legit and will help us get a rom dump of the cart in the long run I might do so. I guess time will tell then huh?

4. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    Really? "I can't put this on Youtube/download only?" That's lame. I'm calling BS right now.

5. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    No sense in calling BS just yet, I say. On the off chance that this is real, we don't want to piss them off. If it ends up being fake, once we know for sure, then that would be the time to bash the person.

Basically, what I'm saying is "don't be a typical Sonic fan this time, as has been seen in the past with other prerelease/prototype stuff".

6. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    See, if he were posting his vids to youtube, I'd accuse him of trying to get money with the ad revenue.

7. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Yeah. The method he's using is weird, but save the complaints until the first episode comes out and we can confirm if it's real or fake.

"Don't bite the hand that feeds," is applicable here.

8. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    A dollar says that the owner puts ads on the pages he links to for downloading.

Also note that speaks nothing to the authenticity of the cart, and to be honest if I had a legit prototype I'd be tempted to try to monetize it a little bit myself.

I also posted in the ASSEMbler's thread inviting him to come here for discussion as well. If he does, please nobody shit on him.

9. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    I few things I noticed.

Telegames was a UK based shop that existed for a while and I believe they sold a lot of the old stuff they had very recently. Telegames created a promo video in 1990 demonstrating at least 400 games including the unreleased Konix Multisystem. I noticed that in the video, many of the games that are shown are the Japanese versions. I don't know if they are prereleases or not though. No Sonic in the video, but it might give you some ideas as to what they were able to get their hands on.

10. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    So what are we saying here? That it might be the real deal? Because until the first footage drops, I'm saying it's the pirated version.

11. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    That's my topic on Assembler, I was surprised someone chose to present this cart in there =P

I remember the auction when this was up and dismissed it as a pirate. I really think it's likely just the final, going by how the auction made it sound like nothing special.

A week goes quick enough, so we'll see! I don't have high hopes, but whatever it is, at least something new has come up. The Sonic proto scene has been dead forever.

12. dsrb

dsrb

By “the” proto, do people mean Needlemouse in Dark Hill Zone? If so, I doubt that would have found its way to some shop in the UK, right? In which case, my vote would also go to this being the 40-lives pirate.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    The 40 lives pirate, incidentally, I have on a combi-cart:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully it's something else.

14. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    I've been given the OK now to post these tidbits. I remember looking into this particular Sonic cart back in November and discussing about it up until January. There's a reason why I didn't invest in this cart in the end. It started with me trying to get a hold of the person who was selling this cart on eBay with no response. Then later that day, I had a conversation about this cart with Overlord.

Here are snapshots to the first listing of this cart before it completely disappeared off eBay:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After he gave me his thoughts on the cart, I decided to humor myself and contacted the eBay seller again the next week to see if the person had any pictures of the game and cart.

Eventually by the end of it, loads more information about the cart was put into the eBay listing along with a picture of the cart.

Here are snapshots to the last and final listing of this cart before it completely disappeared off eBay:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Notice there's no bids in both the listings I posted. That's because the seller cancelled each of those listings before it ended. I've seen it happen before. I remember there being bids on each of those listings. I also remember the seller re-listing this a few times. Each time it was re-listed, more information was put onto it. The bids would go in and then the listing would get cancelled. The seller by the way had loads of pirated Mega Drive games as well as official ones up on eBay at the time.

Before I was wrapping things up, I noticed in the picture (it's the same picture on both eBay & ASSEMbler) that the cart was taped up on the side which made me a bit suspicious at the time. In the end, I decided not to invest in it after much consideration. Then finally, it completely disappeared off eBay. So there you have it.

Please do not go looking for the actual eBay listings for this cart and/or post links to it. Do not go harassing the owner of the cart about any of this either. This has nothing to do with the cart owner.

I'm posting this because this is what I encountered when I was dealing with this cart that's all. I wouldn't look too deep into it. I just hope I was wrong all this time despite my suspicions.

We'll be getting video footage of this and probably a download at some point so that's good. What the owner of the cart ought do is show what the board looks like inside the cart's shell. That would shed some more light on this. In any case, it's interesting how all this unfolded.

15. Sploit

Sploit

EDIT: Scratch that, looks like orenge has found the exact thing I saw, so that should answer your question. :)

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Well, with that pic on Orenge's post I'd say this is a 90s-era pirate. Still neat, but for different reasons.

17. dsrb

dsrb

Yeah, surely this must be the 40-lives pirate. Why else would the new poster be using the exact same photo? In which case, there'd really be nothing to get excited about. Like you, I hope it's more than that, but I don't see how it can be with all the indications to the contrary.

Jimmies, rustled, etc. People either have no idea what a reserve price is for, or they're trying to sneak around fees or something and fuck over multiple bidders in the process. I've had to cancel auctions in the past because I couldn't sell the item, and even that made me feel bad. I couldn't deliberately mess people around.

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    So

why would a ROM hacked to give Sonic 40 lives be used for "advertising"? Surely that's counter-productive - if it was in a kiosk, you'd want the game to drop back to the title screen as often as possible, so a) people know what the game is and b) you get to see a demonstration of other zones. Not to rule anything out, of course, but it sounds rather silly to me.

19. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Isn't it possible the pirates got a hold of one of these prerelease carts too? They got a Sonic 2 proto after all. All they needed to do is get the cart from a shop, and who knows how many of those were sent out.

20. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    You people are silly. There's no way an alpha build with no HUD, no interactive objects and a single level would get labelled as just having "differences" from the final game. We're lucky if we ever get a hold of something which still says "RING" in it.