don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    You can't. The Hg versions have an INI file folder but IIRC they're so old they won't work with the latest version of SonLVL. You can either use the updater or download the files directly.

Edit: or am I reading that wrong and you want disassemblies of all the games SonLVL supports? In which case, only S1, S2, S3K have actual disassemblies, sorry.

2. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Worked with a bit of tweaking. Cheers.

3. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Sorry.
    Basically, I'd like to open the games to quickly extract the level Chunks.
    Can't seem to figure out loading the games. I don't see any documentation on setting up SonLVL anywhere.

4. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
  5. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    *Facepalm* No wonder I couldnt find it.
    anyways thanks a bunch,
    Also, are you taking any requests for new features on SonLVL ?

6. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I'm always open to reasonable requests/suggestions, but I can't promise I'll actually do anything.

7. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Yeah the collision exporting is something that I really need per 128 x128 or 256 x 256 chunks, this alone would save many weeks work.
    I have been taking whole map layouts from Sonic ED 2 and in Photoshop manually selecting chunks than saving them out. Which takes so much time away from modeling.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH9KSi8bFpo
    This level took around 7 months to model. half the time went to setting up reference assets, naming them than remaking layouts in max and udk again.
    looking for a quick way to get a few steps out of the way. to speed up productivity.

Anyone here familiar with Maxscript, ( would like to recreate level layouts in max automatically using data from the Genesis games)
    This would mostly be used for modeling reference template data.
    (basically, auto create flat planes with the same names, and scales as the chunks, apply textures, and move them into position to form level layouts)
    Clones would need to be instance copies of initial chunks created.

8. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Hmm,,, I followed the tutorial just now,, cant seem to pull off the split steps..( nothing seems to be extracting from an un edited sonic 1 bin file renamed to s1.
    So behind schedule here... When you need something quick,, it just never works out does it ?
    Anyone have some kind of already set up to go solution that does not take hours to figure out how to set up initial steps for extracting tiles to individual files?

if not than
    I guess it will be faster to start manually doing this by hand again since this is another dead end,,, although I really wanted to get started modeling today.
    I hate to spend a day and a half manually extracting and than setting up assets for a single level when it could be done in a few button presses.
    ahh well ,,
    Sorry if I seem a bit frustrated today, just so tired.

9. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    The Hg disassemblies are pre-split (but don't use the S*LVL INI Files folders in them, take the latest ones from the updater/my website).

10. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Okay ! thanks a lot! Now I can relax somewhat.
    I got it working with Sonic 1, 3 and knuckles,
    What about Sonic CD? Its supported fully?
    Did not see any disassemblies for CD on the wiki page.

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Sonic CD PC is supported, but there is no split disassembly, and the disassembly that does exist requires you to split out the data manually, and only supports PPZ1 Present.

At some point, someone posted S1 and S2 format levels from CD with SonED2 project files I think...

12. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Right now I'm Doing a request project for a friend, who in exchange will be helping with some programming for my 2 projects.
    It will be Angel Island Zone 2.5D HD, I guess that I don't need CD stuff right away, Will be busy with this for the next few months.
    Again, thanks for the help, its much appreciated.

13. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I hadn't said anything, as this has been a good learning experience for you... BUT I have already used SonLVL to extract said tiles to .png. If it will save you time, would you like me to send some .rar's your way?
    NOT that its difficult to do on your own... just saying I have ALL of them from ALL 3 games on the ready. I'm using them for my fangame as well so I got them all a while back.

14. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Wish you would have said something earlier, :P
    If you have collision tiles riped and organized together with the 128 or 256 chunks that would really help out as thats what I need next.
    Right now im manually cut pasting the chunks from Photoshop 1 by 1.

Normally I don't mind learning a new tool.
    It was just all the run around to get to be able to use the tool that was really troublesome. especially when time is short, and I have so many things to do all at once.
    All these sonic hacking tools are different in many ways , requiring a lot of set up work which is time consuming to learn.
    although after you get them working, they are a breeze to work with.

P.S. already have Angel island collision tiles set up manually in my modeling package.( did this the other day)
    [​IMG]

15. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    Ok, I'll have it ready for you immediately. I'll post you the link ASAP, as I'm getting ready for work right now. BTW, and it'll take a little bit of extra time, Do you want the Sonic 1 tiles 128 instead of 256 to match the rest???

EDIT: So, the best I could do was export the chunks, BOTH in 128 and 256 sizes, AND have foregrounds with collision data placed over them. I don't think you can export the chunks themselves with the collision data over it... so this is the best I can do. If it is good for you, I'll have the rest of the zones ASAP.
    (BTW MainMemory, do you think you could enable one to export chunks with the collision data overlayed on top of it in a future update?)

Here is the GHZ package. This is a preview of what I have for you... all of this possible through SonLVL. Thanks MM!
    If you are satisfied with what I did, go ahead and grab the whole Sonic 1 package.

16. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Facepalm. Aww man !! Sorry !! thought you had something done and ready or something.
    If not than, please don't worry about it, as I can rip the tiles myself with the tools.

P.S. * * *Tripple Facepalm* * *Already had GHZ done and out of the way months ago.
    I take it you saw the video that I posted. (LV is 100% done and playable in 3D.)

17. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I have all the tiles themselves ready... I didn't realize until noticing your picture that you needed the collision data though. Well now I feel a little bit silly... I hope that at least the other zone packs could be of some use. And I apologize, I didn't see the video. I'll find it and take a look

18. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    My bad on the double post but I'm going a tad off topic. I've just obtained IDA Pro, and am now trying to learn how to use it to make disassemblies. I've started with using it to make a Shining Force disassembly...

Can someone offer me any tips, anything I need to know... OR point me in the direction of any useful information on some Do's/Don'ts... or anything of the sort?

19. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Wish I could help, Thats one of my favorite series besides Sonic.
    Shining 3, and Shining The Holy Ark are my favorite from that series.
    I've done some texture ripping from the above mentioned STHA Saturn game,
    Someday would like to do an HD remake of it, Although I have a feeling I'd never get a chance to start.

20. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Before I begin, I apologize in advance. First off, I already made this request as a sidenote for another post, but to no avail. Second, I wasn't really sure on asking exactly where in any other thread/subforum to make this request. Finally, I didn't want to bump the older thread to generate false hype (which BTW hasn't been updated in months).

Concerning Thorn's Sonic 2 Retro Remix hack (2010 version I believe, I haven't played the 2011 version), there's a Genesis remix of Sonic Pinball Party's Nightmaren/Boss Battle music that's used for the final boss. Although Thron has MIDI files of his other music on his SkyDrive, this song isn't available on there. I was wondering if someone could please help me get this song somehow. Thanks for reading.