don't click here

SonicGDK 1.30.000

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Xaklse, Feb 10, 2010.

1. The menu functionality looks fine, could be used as a placeholder for SonicGDK until someone else properly skins it.
    And that matinee of the demo map... I want it! Would you mind if I use it?

If you don't get approved soon, I'll contact you through YouTube.

2. New 1.10.118 version is up!
    Source Code (requires UDK November 2012): MC / NL / TB / Up / Zi / ZS

What's new? In short:
    • Added Flash-based pause menu by Handepsilon.
    • Support for pausing only the visuals of the game for a while; destroyables can do this for heavy hits.
    • Speed boosters on walls/ceilings can apply an impulse to falling pawns.
    • Rings give energy to all types of player pawns.
    • Red star rings; any number of them can be used in a map.
    • Implemented save slots; they work and store lives/emeralds/red rings and best score/time.

3. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    OOOh. Nice additions.

4. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    I'm really glad to see this is still being worked on.

5. Raz

Raz

USA
    Keep up the fantastic work guys, I'm almost done with the tutorials and I absolutely love how easy it is to do things that I know would have taken me or a team ages to figure out from scratch! This engine lets you get down to business right off the bat!

6. Thanks, it's good too see that some people still care about this :)

7. Raz

Raz

USA
    Most definitely!

Is there any information on putting in custom meshes for other characters or new versions of the sonic model?

8. Raz

Raz

USA
    Also, I'm having a lot of trouble properly placing splines, is there a tutorial or manua out there on using them? I can't seem to control the handles at all.

9. You have this guide to learn how to change the character mesh.
    If you're asking how to import a skeletal mesh into a package, there are many related UDK tutorials in Internet, or people here or at Epic forums that can help you.

Here and here.

10. Raz

Raz

USA
    Thanks for the quick reply! I finally figured out the spline handle, Andrew suggested I do them in 2D views, made it much easier- I was editing in 3D view and sending the handles miles off into space!

One more quick question- I made a simple path, and imported it to UDK, generated the collision, and then paced it in world with the SGDK static mesh actor class- but Sonic seems to be skipping on it rather than walking or standing. Do you have any idea what I might be doing wrong?

11. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Show us a picture.

Code (Text):
    3. --------------------UTGame - Release--------------------
    4. Warning, Can't find files matching F:\Game Engines\SonicGDK\Binaries\Win32\..\..\Development\Src\UTGame\Classes\*.uc
    5. --------------------UTGameContent - Release--------------------
    6. Warning, Can't find files matching F:\Game Engines\SonicGDK\Binaries\Win32\..\..\Development\Src\UTGameContent\Classes\*.uc
    7. --------------------SonicGDK - Release--------------------
    8. Analyzing...
    9. Error, Superclass UTProjectile of class BubbleProjectile not found
    10. Error, Superclass UTFamilyInfo of class SGDKFamilyInfo not found
    11. Error, Superclass UTGFxTweenableMoviePlayer of class SGDKMenuGFxMovie not found
    12. Error, Superclass UTTimedPowerup of class MonitorInventory not found
    13. Error, Superclass UTPickupFactory of class MonitorPickupFactory not found
    14. Error, Superclass UTPawnSoundGroup of class SGDKPlayerPawnSoundGroup not found
    15. Error, Superclass UTKActor of class SGDKKActor not found
    16. Error, Superclass UTProjectile of class RingProjectile not found
    17. Error, Superclass UTCheatManager of class SGDKCheatManager not found
    18. Error, Superclass UTDamageType of class SGDKDamageType not found
    19. Error, Superclass UTEmitter of class SGDKEmitter not found
    20. Error, Superclass UTPawn of class SGDKPawn not found
    21. Error, Superclass UTTeamGame of class SGDKGameInfo not found
    22. Error, Superclass UTGameViewportClient of class SGDKGameViewportClient not found
    23. Error, Superclass UTHUD of class SGDKHud not found
    24. Error, Superclass UTMusicManager of class SGDKMusicManager not found
    25. Error, Superclass UTPlayerController of class SGDKPlayerController not found
    26. Error, Superclass UTPlayerInput of class SGDKPlayerInput not found
    27. Error, Superclass UTSimpleDestroyable of class SGDKSimpleDestroyable not found
    28. Error, Superclass UTWaterVolume of class SGDKWaterVolume not found
    29. Compile aborted due to errors.
    30. Warning/Error Summary
    31. ---------------------
    32. Error, Superclass UTProjectile of class BubbleProjectile not found
    33. Error, Superclass UTFamilyInfo of class SGDKFamilyInfo not found
    34. Error, Superclass UTGFxTweenableMoviePlayer of class SGDKMenuGFxMovie not found
    35. Error, Superclass UTTimedPowerup of class MonitorInventory not found
    36. Error, Superclass UTPickupFactory of class MonitorPickupFactory not found
    37. Error, Superclass UTPawnSoundGroup of class SGDKPlayerPawnSoundGroup not found
    38. Error, Superclass UTKActor of class SGDKKActor not found
    39. Error, Superclass UTProjectile of class RingProjectile not found
    40. Error, Superclass UTCheatManager of class SGDKCheatManager not found
    41. Error, Superclass UTDamageType of class SGDKDamageType not found
    42. Error, Superclass UTEmitter of class SGDKEmitter not found
    43. Error, Superclass UTPawn of class SGDKPawn not found
    44. Error, Superclass UTTeamGame of class SGDKGameInfo not found
    45. Error, Superclass UTGameViewportClient of class SGDKGameViewportClient not found
    46. Error, Superclass UTHUD of class SGDKHud not found
    47. Error, Superclass UTMusicManager of class SGDKMusicManager not found
    48. Error, Superclass UTPlayerController of class SGDKPlayerController not found
    49. Error, Superclass UTPlayerInput of class SGDKPlayerInput not found
    50. Error, Superclass UTSimpleDestroyable of class SGDKSimpleDestroyable not found
    51. Error, Superclass UTWaterVolume of class SGDKWaterVolume not found
    52. Warning, Can't find files matching F:\Game Engines\SonicGDK\Binaries\Win32\..\..\Development\Src\UTGame\Classes\*.uc
    53. Warning, Can't find files matching F:\Game Engines\SonicGDK\Binaries\Win32\..\..\Development\Src\UTGameContent\Classes\*.uc
    54. Failure - 20 error(s), 2 warning(s)
    55. Execution of commandlet took:  22.21 seconds
    56. [Jan 13, 11:58 AM] COMMANDLET 'UDK.exe make -full' FAILED
    It wouldn't compile. I have the November Build of UDK and I put the files in the right place.

12. Raz

Raz

USA
    After picking at it with Andrew, we discovered it was most likely a scale issue. I needed to scale he model up by around 400 times before importing to UDK.

13. UT3 game code is missing! Reinstall UDK.

Good to know you fixed the problem.

14. Raz

Raz

USA
    I don't suppose there's a way to import splines directly from the 3D modeler? I'm terrible with positioning them in the UDK editor.

15. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    That would be an assume feature to import splines from 3D Max or Maya.

16. Technically it's possible, but I'm afraid nobody is willing to create that tool.

17. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Hi Guys, I've been assisting a few teams using Sonic GDK as a sort of technical adviser as it seems,
    Many people are experiencing the same issues over and over again,
    The main issue that I've been seeing:
    When you guys make custom models for UDK be it in 3d studio, Maya, or Blender.
    There is an issue where sonic does not stick to the mesh properly, the effects is that he seems to float up for a few moments as he runs.( it looks like he is skipping or hopping)

Some of the issues that cause this are when people import undersized models than scale them up in UDK by a certain %
    The work around would be to: Select build from the UDK world editor toolbar and build all.

Sometimes it could be related to the file your are exporting, using an outdated or much to new version of FBX exporter from your modeling package.
    (this relates to the version of udk that you are using)
    make sure to update the FBX format to the latest version for your program.

Now back to the scaling issues.
    Today someone asked me for advise on how to fix the skipping issues, both the build all or FBX compatibility problem was not the issue.
    Turns out that we needed to export the model with the true scale from the modeling package.( not scale up in udk)
    I know many of you have some pretty bad modeling habits when it comes to modeling and scale,
    Everyone I have ever met on retro or Senntient.com who make 3D game assets for fan games seem to have the same common bad habits.

The best habit would be to make game assets is to model in the true scale that will be used in the game, or rescale the asset in the modeling package before exporting the poor thing.

The question you guys may have is what is the correct scales for sonic and his assets ?
    I've put together a little tutorial to help get you guys started.

First thing you will need to know is that Max and blender share the same exact scale for models being exported from both programs using the default scale setting to UDK.
    Interesting note:
    In 3DS Max, 1 Generic Max unit, or CM, meter, or whatever scale you have default units set to, they will all export the same sized model to UDK.
    (Basicly 1 of any type of measurement is equal to 1 UDK Unit)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

( I just lost the rest of this message due to browser closing some tabs which I can not recover.. , so I'll finish the post later, includes some assets and such )

18. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Well I'm back, and feeling down about losing about 75% of the previous post , so this may not go into as much detail as it should. ( I'm lazy and dead right now)

Next we will set the spacing for your grid to 1 or 2 , I'll go into detail why later for both methods in a minute,
    [​IMG]

Sonic GDK has double sized scale requirements (due to sonic being programmed at a larger scale for his jump height and run speeds, ect, vs UDK units, 3ds Max units , Blender units or even classic sonic pixels
    (For my projects I use 1 classic sonic pixel =1 3DS unit + 200% rescale = 2x2 UDK units)
    Basically We need to match sonic GDK scales, not really UDK scales
    we will need to:
    A: Model in grid space setting of 2. ( may be confusing for some people)
    or
    B: Set the spacing to 1 and than rescale after the model is finished but before exportation.
    Myself? I prefer Plan B since its easyer to keep track of units of 1 rather than multiples of 2.

When rescaling a mesh and you want to export it to the game.... please use reset Reset Xform!
    What reset Xform does is reset all transforms , rotations and scales to be a new default.
    otherwise you "may or may not" get some issues in the futre,
    (Just in case you need more info)
    An example of when to use reset Xform is when scaling an object up by 200% than apply the reset Xform tool to that object,
    what this did was make the 200% become the new 100% without changing the scale size of the model.
    Its also recommended to apply reset Xform in any and all situations including just before skinning a character mesh.
    (Its better safe than sorry)

Here we see Sonic's UDK scale compared to UDK grid scale of 1
    Notice how 1 pixel is equal to 2x2 udk grid units
    [​IMG]

Sonic's GDK model may be a shorter when standing next to the classic sonic 1 sprite's height,
    the programmed units match the Sprite more than the model. ( least I think so)
    ( also note: I think Sonic's model was rescaled by code for the Sonic GDK model, have no idea what the initial scale was)
    these scales im going into are more useful for making environments, than sonic's actual model scale) May have to look into the sonic modeling scale to sgdk rescale conversion thing in the future.
    [​IMG]

If modeling sonic or environments:
    Sonic is 39 pixels tall, which is 39 units tall in modeling package ( rescaled by 200% = 78 units tall for sonic GDK)
    The maximum jump height so that sonic can land on Platforms and environmental pieces would be 100 units in the modeling package (rescaled by 200% = 200 units high)
    [​IMG]

Edit: Here are 3 files conisting of a
    .UPK which has a model, material and some textures.
    .UDK which has a demo world
    and
    .fBX which has 2 models:
    A. The default 3DS max scale.
    and
    B. scaled up 200% for Sonic GDK, with reset Xform applied.

Enjoy!
    http://www.mediafire.com/?as81zuavc632jba

P.S. Let me know if anything needs to be corrected or added to this as it will help many people using SGDK!

19. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Is anybody able to point me in the right direction? I'm trying to create badnik pawns that will actually shoot at the player. I'v managed to create a new pawn class which can be selected in the EnemySpawnInfo properties but only because I copied the scripts from the enemy walking pawn. I don't know where to begin with adding new behaviour for this pawn along with it using the Link Gun. I have no programming / scripting knowledge whatso ever, so any super basic help in this field would be much appreciated.

20. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    You could do what I did and use Kismet.
    Although it may not be the proper way of doing things, it works for us non programmers.
    This is just for the bee badnick in GHZ 2.5D which fires shots when it sees sonic using a trigger volume attached to the spawned badnick actor.

Overwelmed yet? I could not even fit all of the nods in for a screenshot.
    If someone doesnt help you, maybe I'll try and find some time to do so. ( but mind you using kismet to set up the enemies is very complex)
    [​IMG]