don't click here

Goodbye to SoaH City... but not really

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by JaredAFX, Jan 19, 2013.

1. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    I don't know if any of you are familiar with the website soahcity.com, but I sure was. It was where I got most, if not all of my Sonic music, and where I got the first music I put on my iPod. The site meant a lot to me. A few months ago, it went under "construction" and got a new "manager" (the founder was still there, but he's always been busy doing real life things). I don't know when this happened, but apparently the site got hacked, and now Neon Chaos is done with it. No more construction, no more forums, nothing. Not that the site as a whole was anywhere near as dedicated as we all are here at Retro, but I find it sad that a Sonic site that had been around for twelve years is now gone, and the owner has given up on it. It was never a large website, but I just wanted to, well, pay some respect, I guess, to the site where I got about 50-60% of my music library from. Do any of you guys have something you could say about the site?

...Geez, I make it sound like someone died. It was a cool site, though, with a lot of music, cool wallpapers and avatar icons. It's where I got mine from; I use it for everything.

2. egel

egel

Cheeseland
    May start a small page about my MD collection.
    I'm pretty sure this is the same site which I used to download some tracks for an old, old sonic GM fangame I was working on several years ago. Sad to see this happen.

Hope this will ease the pain a bit:

http://web.archive.org/web/20120208160235/http://www.soahcity.com/music/

3. Eh. Quite honestly that site had been dying for years now. Once Neon stopped caring about it and left to pursue his own interests, it really just fell apart. It's more of a mercy killing, really; you know something's bad when the owner of the website stops taking interest in a site like that and doesn't give the site to someone else. One of the few reasons people cared about SoaH back in the day was the music, which you can pretty much get anywhere now.

4. Samurai Echidna

Samurai Echidna

This is sad news. I had always hoped SoaH would stay around. It was one of my favorite Sonic sites. Sure, you could get Sonic music from there, but I didn't really need it for that. At most, it was just a backup if I somehow lost my master copies of my Sonic music. It was really just a charming little hub to explore different kinds of things related to Sonic. I believe, for a while, they were doing funny caption images with the Sonic games, especially Heroes. Probably did lots of other fun things too...

SoaH now exists among the many websites we all have fond memories of before they went down for good. Goodnight, sweet website, and flights of angelic hero chao sing thee to thy rest.

5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I'll just link what I posted on the SEGA Forums last November.

Read.

6. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Well then. I was never very involved with SoaH, but it was my go to place for soundtracks for a long time.

7. Doppelgengar

Doppelgengar

RIP SoaH City. I had gone there for a while when I first got on the internet, it was my first experience with the Sonic community. I haven't really been there in the past few years though, the forum stopped being so active and I never really had anything to contribute to the conversations that were going on. Sad to see it go, though.

8. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    I suppose so, but I found the LOL Sonic entries pretty entertaining, and SoaH had so many backgrounds it wasn't even funny. I was getting backgrounds from there for years, until I ended up sticking with that kind of wire-y official Sonic and Shadow SA2 background. ...Which I've replaced with the 20th Anniversary one with Modern Sonic placing his hand on a monitor with the Sonic 1 boxart on it, but I spent a lot of time customizing my computer with those backgrounds.
    (Also, very off topic, but I like your Mayl avatar over on Sega's forums :) )

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I probably wouldn't have minded the LOL Sonic stuff, but it became the only thing that they were updating the site with. I really just patiently waited for years for them to put the Sonic X-treme music they had back up because I really liked Space Queens and lost it years ago.

(Also, thanks for the compliment.)

10. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    The Gamespy version is still up and if you click right you can get back to the website in some parts:
    http://archive.kontek.net/sonic.planets.gamespy.com/

And heres the Facebook page for the scattered forum members without a home:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/SoaH-City-Shadow-of-a-Hedgehog-City/259710937474536

11. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    Wow, thanks! This is really helpful! At least I can still have access to the wallpapers and icons; that's what I was most worried about.

12. Nova

Nova

I remember a lot of the people I knew in my early days in the community were members of SoaH - I grabbed music from there but never actually took the effort to frequent the place.

Still a shame to see another site bite the dust.

13. corneliab

corneliab

I remember periodically going over there for tunes. Was nice and convenient.

Oh well.

14. BystanderLC

BystanderLC

Wallpapers, too. It was one of the better Sonic sites. I've seen its redesigns and a bunch of stuff.

15. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Really? I find it to be pretty difficult to track down video game music these days. Galbadia Hotel is an okay resource as long as you deal with their forums, but most of those links don't work and most of the requests I've put in for never get answered...

It's a real shame to see SOAH go. I just used them about a month ago to get something.

16. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    SoaH was the first forum I ever joined. About 4 years ago there was a fallout with the staff and its senior members, and the floor just basically caved without them posting anything. I used to keep in touch with them on WLM and facebook, but not so much now. Good times, but with no members, how can you keep a forum going?

17. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    Shame that SoaH is dead :C. It was my first Sonic forum I registered and where I started to draw art for people to improve myself and I found 2 best friends over there. I also remember the Sonic X times, where Solly uploaded new episode and it used ram? rm? file and you had to view them with real player to see them. They were japanese, but I watched anyways. Brings back quite a lot of memories. I remember I registered there in 2003.... makes me feel old. And the secret place where you could talk about adult topics and torrent related stuff too.

SoaH still holds a special place for me. Without it, I would had never known my two best friends + lot more awesome memories.

18. SoaH was my first community too, I was there since 2001 can't believe it dead... I know the place wasn't the same after I left it but *shrugs* a lot of memories are there, from rping too goofing around with the internet wrestling fed involving our fan characters. There was a lot of fun topic's I use to chat in back in the days.

19. As far as music goes I have a lot of the official stuff and have made it available; GH and TKA also have a lot of the older, obscure music although yeah GH's forum is kind of a hassle.

Also, people have pretty much summed up the problem in this thread: Everyone went to SoaH to download things. Very few people actually stayed there when the downloading was done.

20. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    It turns out I use SoaH much more than I thought. Just a few hours ago I was completing my SA1 and 2 albums and downloading Sonic R's soundtrack because, well, procrastination. I used to only download what I wanted, but now, when I download an album, I get the whole thing. I'm so glad some of the music is still up.