don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    This probably is the best straight level port I've seen so far, it's faithful to the original while still fixing the issues and making it fun to play.

I really want to see the finished version.

2. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    Yeah, contact me on AIM or MSN.

3. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Aside from Sky Rail, I have to agree, if only for the beginning board section.

I'll help the guy out with light field if he wants; even if it just tints all the objects red!

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Just fix that level loading glitch and some of the camera angles and the lighting and boom, very faithful port.

5. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Sky Rail does have the problem of running at 10FPS on PCs that can handle generations levels at good framerates, did the guy ever fix that?

6. SonicHyuga

SonicHyuga

Tennessee
    Sky Rail (Generations) and Aquarium Park (Generations)
    No one tells me these things. :v:

It runs fine for me, along with others I've seen who have shared gameplay. I could try making a version that has the object view distance lowered. That is, if you want?

7. I would love that, as I too have a similar problem. In levels with a huge draw distance my computer chugs, even when it can run the game most times at max speed. (Example is Modern Seaside Hill)

I also seem to have slowdown problems with mods that change the White World. It really chugs there. The exception to this is the Unleashed Hub, which is just fine. Is this just for me, or is anyone else having a similar issue?

8. Squidgy

Squidgy

Whoa whoa whoa, this is actually happening.

Can't wait to see this! Be sure to post it here once its released!

9. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

All life form data, successfully copied! Member
    At my home in Florida
    Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
    I don't use instant messaging programs.

If you'd be alright with chatting via Sonic Retro Private Messages, we can get everything started.

All that I'll be (possibly) be doing is make the model work in-game.

When (as well as how / if) it gets a release should be StreakThunderstorm's decision, not mine. (Same goes for ALL models I've fixed and/or rigged for others, such as TwilightZoney's personal Sonic model, Spex130's Billy Hatcher, Mando's Classic Mighty, numerous models for DarkCatMax's mods, etc.)

10. Squidgy

Squidgy

Actually I was talking to StreakThunderstorm since I quoted both your posts. I can see how that might've been confusing, my bad.

11. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    I really want him to tweak the camera, personally. I realize it's the way it is because he's probably trying to replicate Sonic 06's feel, but it's way too close and just watching that video made me kind of dizzy - and I'm not the kind of person who normally gets motion sickness. There's also an issue where with the camera in so close you really "feel" Sonic's speed, to the point where I don't think I'd have the reaction time to play the level like that. There was at least one or two times where he jumped and instinctively homing attacked enemies and it happened before I even knew there were enemies there.

12. Flare

Flare

While I still think Sth06 level design is a bit hap hazard at times, I do love to see the how broken the flow of the original had.

13. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Sure, if you could release a tweaked version or a patch that'd be great.

14. StreakThunderstorm

StreakThunderstorm

Mecha Madness
    Yeah, it's happening. Hit me up on PM, then.

15. StR Speedy

StR Speedy

Starlight Carnival
    Colors Porting
    I'm having an issue with SonicGlvl again. For some of the levels I can't see the terrain at all. I am only able to see the various splines and the placeable items/gimmicks. Is there a way for me to fix this?

Also, I'm sorry if my post is in the incorrect forum.

Finally, if knowing the levels in question helps in any way, they are:
    Green HIll Modern
    Sky Sanctuary Classic
    Speed Highway Modern

16. Paraxade

Paraxade

When you try to load a level, two dialogue boxes should pop up before you can see the level. For the terrain to load you need to select yes on them (or at least the first one). It'll take a while to load, so be patient.

If you're already doing that and you still don't see the terrain, then it sounds like you don't have the Packed folder. If you're trying to load Green Hill Modern for example, then in the same folder where you have #ghz200.ar.00, you need the Packed\ghz200 folder, as that's where the stage geometry is. Copy it over from bb.

If that doesn't fix it, no idea, sorry.

17. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    How would you turn off blur and reduce object draw distance in stages?

Some stages lag, like Seaside Hill, and the Unleashed Renderer looks like ass because of my graphics card :I

18. To disable blur, you can try editing some values in SceneEffect.prm.xml in the stage's # file. For example, Seaside Hill's # file that contains SceneEffect.prm.xml would be #ssh100.ar.00 and #ssh200.ar.00 for Classic and Modern Sonics respectively.

To make object draw distance shorter, reduce the range value of objects in SGLVL. There's no universal draw distance, so you're going to have to edit each object's range. A faster way for this to be done is to select an object and go to the menu bar and select all objects of the same type and edit from there.

19. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    Thanks. Will try and see what happens.

20. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    If someone could do this for all the stages (especially the laggier ones) and make an installable mod that way, id really appreciate it.