don't click here

Sonic AYII

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lapper, Mar 18, 2012.

1. dsrb

dsrb

I… what? Everything you just said is horribly devoid of logic. Sonica was having a great time doing this before other things got in the way and he made a snap decision that he now regrets. And he's carrying on with something else. How exactly is that meaningless? How does a bad decision to delete it mean that he should never have started it in the first place? And what, the fact that he doesn't feel like going back over months of work and possibly dealing with the nit-picking from everyone in this thread (not looking at ANYONE IN PARTICULAR) means that it was all some kind of joke or attention-seeking ass-pull all along?

What?

Seriously, explain this shit. Not that I'll hold my breath.

2. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    I agree with dsrb. I wouldn't go back and restart that much work just to satisfy people I couldn't care less about.. I'd have better things to do with my life anyway.

Sonica actually put a lot of heart and work into this, so the fact that anyone would question whether or not he was actually making an effort is downright pathetic. It was just an unfortunate mistake on his part. No one is perfect.

3. While what snow toilet said was a bit harsh, dsrb pretty much summed it all up.

4. snow toilet

snow toilet

I huff kitty litter Member
    Anytime, USA
    Sonic Grand Prix??
    What I mean is why give up on a project even if everything is deleted? He clearly mentioned that he didn't want to start over. Why give up is my point.
    If the project meant that much to him then starting over wouldn't be a problem. If that doesn't make any sense then forget it.

I'm also unsure on what part of what I said was harsh. It's not a bold statement it's just my opinion on people who make video games no matter if they're profitable or not.

5. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Sorry to hear about your project files. Hopefully you can move on to only bigger and better things here on out.

6. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I'm just one of those people who hates starting over, but especially things I was so proud of (and took hell of a lot of effort! I was halfway though the walk animation :0)
    Hmm, I guess I don't mind if anyone wants to trace or redraw anything I have posted here for their own projects if for some reason they wanted. Hey, they might as well.

7. Ill just redo it for the fun of it :)
    Well here is my version of your art... So you accidentally deleted all your files do you want mine if you could change your mind?
    [​IMG]

8. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Naah, I like working with my own things I am making a game, when I am making something it has to be completely mine or I don't feel so proud (which is the wrong word, I suddenly suck at english... but anyway feel free to start your own if you feel like it, using anything you can from here). If just the engine had gone It wouldn't be half as bad.

Well I'm going to leave this topic alone. There is about a 3% chance of me starting this or something like it again, it is a lot to be in the mood for after it all disappears :/

Good luck on other HD projects not meeting an end so soon. I'd love to see a finished one.

9. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Well... I'm resurrecting this project. It will now be at the normal Mega Drive resolution, a normal fan game! Hooray!

Once it's out, I'll be using Mercury's Aesthete engine (Game Maker) to make the game.

Graphics Mock-Up:
    [​IMG]
    Obviously, very primitive. I've only drawn a palm tree and grass, but they are redraws of the ol' HD ones I had done.

There are some Sonic animations in the General Topic. Oh, and my avatar.

10. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    looks good, Sonica! And I'm glad this project is being revisited. Can't wait to see what you come up with! And yeah, same as you, I look foward to Aesthete engine since it looks excellent so far

11. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Huzzah! Glad to see this resurrected, albeit in a very different form. I'm loving what you're doing with the running animation (if your Avatar is any indication), it's a cool fusion of Sonic 1 and 2's!

Also, the grass is looking very nice. Almost has a 32x feel to it!

12. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Yea, I am going for a 32x feel :)

Sonic looks a little out of place, I'll update him to look how I want him too (shading, form) at some point, his complete Sonic1-ness is only temporary.
    Though I'll keep some Sonic 1 elements, and I wont stray too far from what the 3 games have already done like some custom sprites do.

13. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    Whoa, what? I glanced at the topic title and moved on before I suddenly realized exactly what this was! How 'bout that?

...Come to think, didn't I throw a few ideas at you when this was still in its original "redrawn" concept form? I wonder if you still have those...

14. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Yes! I still have them :v:

I have plenty of ideas myself, but help is always welcome, of course.

15. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sowwyy Just noticed this was a double post. I thought Blivsey was last because I'm an idiot.

Ok, I thought this would be nice to show:
    http://host-a.net/u/Sonic4AYII/AnimationTest.zip

I lied, it wasn't a sprite mock-up. I'm just using this little platform engine (a little credit to Mercury) to test out Sonic's animations with. Only temporary, of course.

Couple of changes you'll notice-
    Sonic's palette/design/shading is kinda new
    Palm trees look less grainy
    Also, a little thing I'm trying (hint, jump through trees). Nice little effects!

I might update this little demo to show off animations in future...

But, in case you don't want to open an exe, here is what Sonic will pretty much look like:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Anyways. I'm off to work some more on this for a while. I'll update you when there is more to show.

16. dsrb

dsrb

It's like a hybrid of 1-3 Sonics!

Does jasonchrist know about this? ;)

17. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Oh yeah, I forgot his project, that was pretty awesome. Well, I wanted to stick fairly closely to Sonic 1, and I think I have nicely.

~ Starting to draw some more for the tiles. Just experimenting. Gunna be interesting when they are done!
    [​IMG]

18. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    How's about, I'm already interested.

Oh, and I love how your sprites actually look like they belong in a Sonic game. You really know that Sonic colour palette and shading consistency.

The level art itself looks like it belongs in a Treasure game. Really high def and exciting.

Oh wow. The Zip file is even better. You included a nice little waving effect to the trees when Sonic jumps by. Really sweet. I suggest you download the file to test out playing as Sonic, guys.

19. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    Sonic looks pretty good, yeah, but the white on his forehead really sticks out. Maybe it's just the white background? Also:
    [​IMG]

Granted, this is an engine test, so I shouldn't complain, but...

20. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Really man, Trust in Sonica, it'll be fixed. right now its not an issue.

I have to say I'm glad you got away from the HD fad and are going with something that really is "As you imagined it". I liked the previous project but I feel this is a better and easier direction.

I'll spread the word that Sonic 4 AYII is back.