don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I definitely agree here. In fact, I'd like to point out that the (hopefully obvious) reason so many people like the Generations engine isn't because of the boosting; it's because Sonic controls relatively well during both slow-speed platforming AND high-speed obstacle-dodging. If you want to blaze through the level, just learn the shortcuts, boost, and dodge whatever's thrown your way. If you want to have a nice leisurely sprint and admire the scenery, you can take the long way and it works just as well.
    In fact, to go off on a small tangent... I've heard people argue that the Sonic Adventure games handle better. Personally, I think Adventure Sonic is a bit TOO responsive at his highest speeds; he turns so well that all of your analog stick movements have to be precise or you'll veer off-course. Meanwhile, the homing-attack seems much more temperamental, and I'm sure we can all appreciate the homing-attack reticle added in more recent games to help "aim" exactly where you slam Sonic into at high velocities. In fact, I'd like to see how ports (NOT remakes) of the Adventure 1/2 levels would play in the Generations engine. I'm not sure if those opinions really add anything to the discussion, and disagree if you want, but I just thought I'd throw my two cents in.

2. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I'd like to play Generations with boosting disabled entirely, just for kicks. Is that possible?

3. Faseeh

Faseeh

[​IMG]

That is pretty much all I can show at this point.

I've got a remix for it and well yeah.'

I did the ripping and object placement and Sky did everything else so far.

I really... REALLY need help with the splines as I can't get anywhere without them and I'm terrible at them and Max. Would anybody like to help do them and such? No rush will be on you and of course you'll be credited.

It will be really appreciated. :)

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    The one level stopping me from beating the hardest mode in Heroes (My game dies if this level tries to load because I've played the game so much).

5. Paraxade

Paraxade

Splines aren't too difficult. Use a top-down view in orthographic mode and lay it down that way, then when you're done change the camera angle and adjust the height of each vertex to line up with the level/rail. It helps to isolate the object (alt + q), make it transparent (alt + x), and/or temporarily place a plane with a bright diffuse underneath it so you can see the spline a little better.

6. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I never use orthographic, always perspective.

You can make splines from the edge lines in model. Give me a couple of hours. I'll do a little tutorial.

7. Faseeh

Faseeh

Alright, thanks guys!

Hyuga's doing the camera for me for this stage and KatamariParadox's doing the splines for this stage.

But the two of you really will help me out in that way when I try again for another stage. 8D

http://youtu.be/4-Md416XXAE

That's what was done at the time of the upload, got more stuff done now.

Special thanks to Alien.Renegade for the music and Sky for doing everything else that I didn't!

8. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Sure, give me a PM if you need help.

9. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Would be fun if it was. City Escape Modern is entirely doable without boost or homing attack....until the VERY end of the truck chase, where not boosting gets you hit. Like last few seconds of that chase, typical huh?

10. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Hey Dario, Are you going to keep the gun truck the same color? because it would be cool if it had a jungle theme so it wouldn't stick out soo much.

11. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

They already made the truck green and altered the model so it's carrying lumber. Considering that, and the fact that it attacks you with saw blades, I don't think they can make it much more "deforestation"-y than they already have.

12. Sporks

Sporks

Question; if I were to get a stage model ready in Blender or Google Sketchup, would I be able to give a download link to someone else who has 3DS Max and have them get it ready for Havok?

13. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I suppose I can do that for you.

14. Sporks

Sporks

Thanks! Probably not gonna start working on it until after Christmas, but I'll PM you when it's ready.

15. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnOBOp_uwyg

New Sky Troops preview, finally! We took some time in this video to explain the protracted development of the past couple months - hope you understand.

16. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Well you know

you can just

uh

NOT PRESS X?

Seriously what's with this community and its campaign against letting the go fast button even exist, it gives me migraines.

...Now for Sky Troops.

Your narrative at the beginning was charming and everything, but regarding the level itself, it looks pretty damn awesome so far, gameplay-wise at least (I know you guys are gonna do graphical touchups and everything so I'll just comment on the gameplay). Feels a lot more solid now than before, and I love the other Eggman ships at the end, and finishing in the Egg Wyvern battle area. The rest of the level looks like it keeps a good pace, which spells excellence. I just feel there should be more obsticles / less of a "dragging on" feeling in the tunnel exiting the storm section, but all in all everything looks top notch.

Now good luck with the other 5 stages you have to do :V

17. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    So, tl;dw you pulled a Rip Van Winkle, only to have PolygonJim hide your computer, then you spend two weeks searching through the city for the damn thing, only to find it in your living room.

I'd say likely story if I didn't get confirmation that PolygonJim is as fucked up as he was protrayed in the video :v:

Anyways, more updates from our good friends darkcatmax and Megamaniscrazy, who have released two mods each: Modern Riders, Silver v4, Shadow v5 and Lancelot.

18. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

All life form data, successfully copied! Member
    At my home in Florida
    Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
  19. Squidgy

Squidgy

Joe, I've been playing with the Metal Sonic mod, and its really, truly awesome.

However, my game seems to freeze up on loading screens a lot of the time with it. I'm not sure if its this mod, but I haven't seemed to have any problems with other mods.

Still, it could be something on my end, so I'll play a bit more before assuming its caused by the mod. Just thought I'd give you a heads-up.

20. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

All life form data, successfully copied! Member
    At my home in Florida
    Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
    That's been a problem I've always had with modding in general. I had been assuming it was only happening to me, since nobody else had ever mentioned it when using my mods.
    I have absolutely no idea what causes it, and no idea how to fix it.