don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread II

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Oct 28, 2011.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Another small update (644.9 KB big). Just tried Ranking Attack again, played three levels and it didn't crash. Seems like they fixed it.

2. Well, uh, this kinda sucks, ranking mode crashes when I load it up.

it wasn't this bad before either, it'd atleast load one level up. Now it just stops responding.

3. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Yeah, ranking modes crashing here too :*

4. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    Yeah, that's what I did. Many, many times. Each time I'd get an 880 byte update that would do a whole lot of nothing and still left my game unusable. Deleting those files and then verifying the integrity again is what fixed it.

Edit: Oh would you look at that. That other small update was 800 bytes for me, and once again broke my installation of Generations. Cool.

5. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    So yeah, I decided to play some mroe Generations on my PC today. Well, lo and behold, the PC errors strike again. This time, it's a "the detected configuration does not match your current hardware. Please re-run the configuration tool." Which is bullshit, as I played it after wrestling with it for a half hour with "missing/corrupted files" just fine about a week or so ago and didn't change anything to my computer. I'll try reinstalling it tommorow at some point, but this is just getting rediculous.

6. Graxer

Graxer

That happens to me if I connect a second monitor to my laptop when it was last used with my laptop's in-built screen.

7. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Remember that any change to your system - even something like a different keyboard or an updated driver - arguably constitutes a change to your system configuration.
    Not that that excuses the game straight out locking you out instead of going "Warning! Your hardware is different!" when starting instead.
    C'mon, if you've been following this for a year, you should know that Optimus is both tricky to work with and breaks a lot of things that don't specifically take it into account. Is it any coincidence that at least 25% of all newly released games generally have people complaining about Optimus problems? Acting like it was an easy fix is jumping the gun.

8. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Could you give examples of games besides Sonic Generations and Binary Domain that have problems with Optimus? Because with any other games I played I usually just had to go to the Nvidia Control Panel and make the game use the Nvidia GPU.

Besides that, at first they said that the problem had to be fixed by Nvidia in a new driver and they took their sweet time even trying to fix Ranking Attack.

9. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Delete the config files in Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sonic generations, then rerun the config tool. Fixed it for me.

10. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    Oh thanks, it worked. What a simple fix that was.

11. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    Was my research wrong, or has nobody actually made this joke before?
    [​IMG]

12. Has anyone else noticed the lag from the time you press jump, to when sonic actually moves. For that matter, it seems to lag a bit in terms of all reaction time.

Im running on PS3, wireless remote, through Receiver, then to 52" TV, if that makes any matter at all...

I've noticed a similar problem on all newer Sonic games to TBH. Anyone else having this issue, particulariliy with Generations?

Seems to be off by roughly half a second, enough to result in a lot of death until you get used to it.

13. Blue Wisp

Blue Wisp

Easy on the car okay Member
    Modern Sonic? Modern Sonic's controls really lag for me in the 360 version. But they happen so often I got used to them. It's more of a nitpick though, it's just a matter of getting used to it.

14. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I remember noticing this at Best Buy way back in 2011 when they had the Classic Sonic demo out, which also had a large TV similar to a 52'' (flat screen?). I recall some answers being it related to the TV, rather than the game.

15. Falk

Falk

Having both PS3 and PC versions, I can tell you that there is empirically more input latency in the PS3 version, moreso than even the average-half-a-frame law applying to 60fps vs 30fps can account for. Among a bunch of other tests, I measured using an audio recording of the sound of the button being pressed to the sound effect of the jump being played, which rules out HDMI delay or anything else down the pipeline after the engine. (You obviously could argue that something bizarre like the sound engine in the console version itself is delayed, too, while the game has no input latency but that's pretty far out there)

Half a second, though? You have no idea how long a second lasts, do you?

edit: ps. both PC and PS3 go to the same ASUS monitor, both directly into different inputs, rather than through a switcher. The PS3 is hooked up to the exact same audio interface through which my PC audio comes out of.

16. I have a question on the 3DS version: what are the conditions for a mission to be unlocked? I'm wondering because I don't really want to spend Play Coins every day, and besides, I can only get up to two missions with Play Coins each day since the max Play Coins you can get per day is 10.

17. I think most missions are unlocked by street passing someone else with the game, if I remember right.

18. I've had a couple unlock randomly for me. I have no idea what I could've done to unlock them, and I've rarely street passed anyone in this town.

19. I believe my use of hyperbole employs more tact. :specialed:

20. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    I just spend the coins, otherwise they max out.