don't click here

SEGA suing Level 5 over Inazuma Eleven games

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by TimmiT, Dec 11, 2012.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Basically SEGA patented touch-based soccer games and is now trying to halt the sales and dispose of all Inazuma Eleven games and get 900 million yen in damages. Image that was included with the patent:
    [​IMG]

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503636

2. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Goddamn software patents are so much bullshit. Fuck off, Sega.

3. Falk

Falk

At this point between this and Shining I'm actually wondering if Sega have given up and are resorting to simply trolling people while they still can.

4. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    At this rate what's the over/under on # of days until SEGA decides to come after Retro?

5. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    But I thought Retro and SEGA were bros... :tinfoil:

6. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    This is really bad. It seems SEGA of Japan is being hijacked by lawyers. I fear the worst for that company.

7. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    This.

That said, I completely doubt this is foreshadowing a sudden but inevitable betrayal or something. Keep your heads. They know what we do is for the love of what they do.

8. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    A) Sega's legal team is well aware of Retro and has been for years.

B) I would wager that not a single person who posted above me actually looked at the patent.

9. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    SEGA are trying to be like Apple, except without a current product that is insanely popular.

10. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Probably because what the patent actually covers is fairly irrelevant if you are against the idea of software patents altogether.

11. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Which is itself a very foolish position to take.

12. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Not really, no. The entire world of software is based off of iterative progress and using other people's work. If you want to 'build it yourself' as it were, you have to start from scratch and always wind up doing more work than is necessary. Trying to patent a piece of software just sets everyone else back, and stifles innovation.

13. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    It's a very educated position to take, especially when you've witnessed the way they are used for little more than engaging in anti-competitive behavior and the way they cause grief for the open source community. Why? Just because of the immature notion of, "No I thought of it first! It's MY idea!" Give me a break. There is no good reason the hard work of a company making a similar product shouldn't be allowed to be rewarded by consumers if they do the same exact thing better.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Isn't this like patenting "press a button to fire"?

15. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    This is similar to saying "Letters I receive are irrelevant because I am against the postal system". Just because you don't like something doesn't always necessarily make the details unimportant.

16. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Yeah, or patenting door bolts or black rectangles.

17. Relick

Relick

England
    C++/DX10 Engine (not sonic related)
    It is similar to that, but that is perfectly fine. If I'm arguing that I believe the postal system is bad, then what do the letters I receive have anything to do with it?
    Similarly, if he's arguing that ANY software patent is a bad idea, what does it matter that he has to read SEGA's patent?

18. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    To read what the patent is actually fully describing for a start, other than a brief description. Can't really discuss a particular patent (whether you see all software patents as bad or not) if you don't read the specifics of it. If it was discussion about Software Patents in general, fair enough. You could say all electric bills are bad. But you don't know how bad that particular one is unless you actually read it. Sure in that particular situations there's serious consequences of NOT reading into the details, but it's a similar point.

19. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Software patents may be bull, but if you've got the patent, you've got to defend it. I've seen a couple of screenshots of Inazuma Eleven in that NeoGAF thread...the violations look pretty clear.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think the controls in the Wii versions of Pro Evolution Soccer are pretty much the same, only replacing "touch" with "point at"...

This really makes no sense. :(