don't click here

Sonic Adventure 2 Hacking

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Turbohog, Feb 20, 2012.

1. flarn2006

flarn2006

I just noticed: doesn't it seem kind of weird that there's no stage here?

[​IMG]

Anyone else think that could have been for a level that ended up getting scrapped?

2. 1stKirbyever

1stKirbyever

Couldn't you say that about the rest of the Map? Mostly the Death Egg Space Colony Ark?

Cool stuff, Mainmemory. You made my childhood dream a reality of playing as Super Sonic in Sonic Adventure 2! Now only if he didn't suck so badly.

EDIT: Now that I think about it... doesn't that lead to the plaza where both Eggman and his grandfather make appearances on the television?

3. flarn2006

flarn2006

I wouldn't be surprised. It would be cool for someone to make a level there...it should be much easier once we have a fully-working split disassembly. I hope we can eventually mod SA2 as much as we can Generations, but unfortunately I doubt that's likely.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Good good, now every level shall only be playable with Sonic, Knuckles, and Robotnik... except those god awful kart levels but I never touch those anyways.

EDIT: On a side note, any progress making the power up models invisible but still functional? Also model replacements... is that progressing either?

5. Just out of curiosity, why did 2P use those pissy ass models in Sa2B? Can Gamecube not handle that sexyness?

6. darkspines35

darkspines35

It's Easy Actually. No, seriously. Tech Member
    .V.
    Sanik Adevnt Casters
    Posted it here :v:

7. flarn2006

flarn2006

Why Sonic, Knuckles, and Robotnik?

8. Do you guys have any idea why Knuckles/Rouge can't play City escape properly?

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    @flarn2006

First off they're more functional then their counterparts. Sonic has 6 power ups and knuckles and Robotnik have 5 power ups compared to the other characters 4. Second it's just personal preference. I like Sonic and Knuckles far more than Rouge or Shadow, and while I like Tails, Robotnik makes more sense in this game than Tails.

10. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    Found some bugs in your cheat table:

• P1 rings is 1 Byte when it's supposed to be 2
    • Black Market should also have it's byte change, but to 4
    • The address to the Swim and Fly stats for ALL the chaoes were off by a digit; the Swim Stat address should be 019F6EFC, while the Fly stat address should be 019F6EFE

11. Hope this isn't too stupid of a question to ask, but how exactly does that stage select thing work? I opened the application and edited the levels I wanted to edit. Do I save over the existing game's file, or do I save it as another file?

Not too experienced with this sort of stuff, so don't mind if I end up asking something stupid.

12. flarn2006

flarn2006

I used the stage select editor to change Route 101 to the test level, but it doesn't appear.

13. flarn2006

flarn2006

Fixed.

Also, I finally figured out how to skip the logos at the beginning. Just set 01D19BF4 to 120 to instantly skip the logo. You'll need to do this for both the SEGA and Sonic Team logos, so I set it to do this whenever you press Escape. It's on the cheat table, accessible at the link above. If you don't want to keep Cheat Engine running, just open the EXE in a hex editor and change 78 to 00 at 39167E, and at 391708. You need to be using MainMemory's decrypted EXE first though! (Or you can just click here to download a pre-modified EXE.) This doesn't actually skip the logos, but it makes them fade out as soon as they're done fading in, which doesn't take very long.

In case you're curious how it works:
    Basically, the value stored at 01D19BF4 stores how long the logo's been on the screen. It's constantly comparing that value to 120 (0x78) to check whether it's done displaying the logo or not. That value to compare it to (0x78) is stored at 39167E (for the SEGA logo) and 391708 (for the Sonic Team logo) in the decrypted EXE. Basically all this hack does is change it so it compares it to zero instead, so it's done as soon as it starts.

14. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    That depends on whether you want to permanently modify the original file you opened, or make a modified copy of the game in a new file.

15. Copy, since I could always go back to the original file. I've made the file, but when I try to play it, I get an error. What should I do?

16. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    If it's something about an application load error, you need to be using my decrypted exe.

17. Alright, I got it worked. Just messed around a bit with Rouge in Radical Highway and Sonic in Aquatic Mine. It's really cool doing this, but is there any chance that the 2-player characters would be added at all?

I did notice two things, when I try to replace an already existing file, I get an error message about the file being in use, and the file never saves properly. That, and there doesn't appear to be any difference between "Eggman" and "Mech Eggman". Shouldn't one be him outside of his mech?

Great work, though.

18. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    The 2P characters cannot be added without recoding the character loading routine and adding new icons.
    The first issue is probably a coding error on my part, the second is because the game specifically checks for whether the level is Chao World and forces the characters to either the mech or non-mech versions. There are patches a couple pages back, but they only work in Cheat Engine for now.

19. flarn2006

flarn2006

Any chance we can get this thread stickied? What started as someone casually asking if anyone knows how to edit sound effects before the PC version was even announced has turned into the thread for hacking SA2PC.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    If the Generations thread never got stickied I doubt his one will.