don't click here

Sonic Adventure 2 Hacking

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Turbohog, Feb 20, 2012.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    What are you trying to do now?

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    The same thing that I have been TRYING to do SINCE THIS GAME WAS RELEASED. Make an unencrypted exe that runs so we can make actual permanent mods.

I know I said I had given up, but... well... I was looking around the code, and I noticed that the stage data headers had become corrupted. I had incorrectly copied the data section last time!

4. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Layman's stupid opinion: Maybe there are multiple encryption checks? With another taking place after the Sonic Team logo?

5. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    It would seem that the hang (not crash) was was either random or caused by something I was doing at the time (maybe some program had an open handle), because I've tried it several times and it runs perfectly. I was even able to modify it to always load Amy instead of Sonic.

So, with that said, here is the decrypted exe and the IDA 5.5 database.

NOTE: This is not a crack. The game will not run without Steam active, it will not run if you do not own the game, and the Battle content will be locked if you have not purchased it. I have no interest in disabling these features, although I may look into getting the SA2 intro and title screen to always show even if you have the DLC.

6. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Unrelated to previous post:
    http://youtu.be/Z1amfaAcfR8

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Could you possibly make it so that all the treasure hunting aspects from Knuckles gameplay are removed so it can be just get to the goal (And on a related note can you make it so that they start in the right place in every level regardless of if it's their own or not?)

8. I've always thought it was odd how Rouge could swing on poles in Sonic's levels but Knuckles can't.

9. flarn2006

flarn2006

Try setting Status Bitfield to 4. :v:
    Also, setting it to 256 seems to make Sonic rapidly change from a ball to normal walking animation and back. I seem to remember this happening occasionally as a glitch when playing on the Gamecube.
    EDIT: I just noticed you got it to work, MainMemory. That's excellent!

What would be the point of that? (the first part.) If you load one of Knuckles or Rouge's stages as Sonic, the Goal ring just appears wherever the Back ring would be. You could move the goal to somewhere harder to reach I guess, which could be fun in some levels (Meteor Herd, Mad Space, Death Chamber, maybe Pumpkin Hill) as long as it's clear which way to go, but for some other levels, like Wild Canyon, there's really nowhere that isn't quickly and easily accessible other than the Lost Chao room, etc. Come to think of it, what you want is basically what mission 3 is.

10. darkspines35

darkspines35

It's Easy Actually. No, seriously. Tech Member
    .V.
    Sanik Adevnt Casters
    I meant to post this when I did it. Turns out the playground still exists (I think this was mentioned a while back.) Well, here it is folks.
    [​IMG]

11. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Thanks to MainMemory's decrypted executable, I am proud to present to you Sonic Adventure 2 Pro Edition!

[youtube]http://youtu.be/JJzHSS5sX_Q[/youtube]

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?ed4c0hn5nz08ipe

12. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    Nice, now do the Library.

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
  14. darkspines35

darkspines35

.V.
    Sanik Adevnt Casters
    Nice Dude, glad I was able to offer my services :)

And in light of Dude's release of this mod, I might as well give this out. The No Upgrades for Sonic and Shadow modification. Clicky! This mod also includes the no LoD models mod, so :specialed: Just remember these are only Sonic and Shadow's files for now. Whenever I'm not lazy, I'll work on Knuckles and Rouge. I don't know about the mechs. They looks weird (to me at least) when they don't have their air jets.

15. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    one question, how did you access the playground?

and Main memory, same question, but about the library.

16. darkspines35

darkspines35

.V.
    Sanik Adevnt Casters
    To answer mine: I loaded up the model in SALVL through the DLL in SA2PC. Grabbed the prs from the DC version, extracted the file to a pvm, used the key 10002000 and used the landtable location found on the wiki for the playground, and profit. I set it to the SA2 loading method, but I think any of the types it supports are fine, can't remember though.

17. SonicHyuga

SonicHyuga

Tennessee
    Sky Rail (Generations) and Aquarium Park (Generations)
    Already mentioned this to you, Dude, but I'll say it here as well:

This modified executable alone seems to have fixed the issue with the game not running in fullscreen for me. If anyone else had that problem as well, try it and see. :V

18. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Basically the same thing as darkspines, except I was using the Dreamcast version, using the values documented in SCHG:Sonic Adventure 2/Level Data Locations.

19. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    ok, how do I get either location to load in SALVL? I never used the program before.

20. Tiranno

Tiranno

Steveosaurus Rex Member
    Thank you for this! I couldn't stand how the upgrades looked in SA2. This mod is great. Now all I'd like to see is Sonic's original shoes and I'm golden.

Too bad there's not a fix for his rounded ears too =P