don't click here

Anyone noticed how ridiculous some of the background text is in SA2?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by flarn2006, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

No, it's not that. There's no such thing as "the United Nations" in Sonic's world.

2. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    Can I get a load of this?

3. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    No, it's no use, give up.

4. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Guardian Units of Nations*

Just a small correction but it makes a big difference.

5. Vantoggle

Vantoggle

I'm guessing you guys mean this pic?
    [​IMG]
    So…chaos control is triggered by an organ...

6. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I'm just going to tell myself that the organ is a pure heart, both Sonic, Shadow, and Silver can be seen as having pure hearts deep down (Shadow debatable after SA2), so it makes sense to me in my head. :psyduck:

7. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    Shadow has an Eternal Engine inside him? Jeez, I wonder what it'd be like to beat THAT zone.

Also, apparently Biolizard wasn't strong enough to walk back in the day. Bullshit, I was literally just fighting him and he did quite a bit of fast walking (turning, but still). Assuming he was stuck in stasis until the ARK's doomsday switch was tripped, whenthefuckdidhelearntowalk and wherethefuckdidhegetallthatstrength?

+ - EYES ONLY  

8. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    "I am genius" is in fact grammatically correct, when the word 'genius' is being used as an adjective.

I'm going to go ahead to guess that said organ just makes it a lot easier and more natural for Shadow (and the other Black Arms) to use it, whereas Sonic and Silver were probably just talented.

9. Vantoggle

Vantoggle

..Only a hedgehog of pure liver can use the true power of the emeralds...

10. It's the quills. Doom's Eye has 'em, too. They had to make an artificial substitute for the Biolizard.

Source: My ass which currently has a space colony shoved up it.

11. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    I think Sonic '06 still wins:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. I'm pretty sure that's how the game's source code looks too.

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Sonic 06 oddly makes a little bit more sense if you start thinking it's set off the coast of Wales like that.

14. InvisibleUp

InvisibleUp

friendly internet ghost Member
    Hmm. If the overlay the two images and rotate them to the same orientation, you can see a couple of level locations on the map.

[​IMG]

For example, you can see Wave Ocean towards the bottom, Aquatic Base above the island, Dusty Desert (twice, must be big), and possible the locations of 2 of the Chaos Emeralds. Also, the text does seem to be mostly garbage (that is, it's not Base64 or anything common like that. Would be a kicker if it's Nemesis or something like that)

15. I would assume it's just random typing. Notice how there are clumps of numbers close to each other.

16. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    I always assumed they just google searched for astronomy texts and copypasta'ed them, like how when a TWAIN Adobe Photoshop manual text appeared on Gundam Wing.

That said, I find the idea of Chaos Control being caused by an engine organ amazing once you remember Neon Genesis Evangelion.

17. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    All the better with your avatar. :v:

Given, that explanation makes the most sense.

The Biolizard sheet, while inaccurate, actually resembles well-thought out English, rather than banging their heads on a keyboard and taking whatever autofill gives them.

18. n00neimp0rtant

n00neimp0rtant

EYES ONLY Member
    South Park, PA
    Creation Kit (Skyrim mods and patches)
    This is a very very good topic. In fact, it's one of the best topics I've seen on Retro in a long while. You should change the topic name to not be solely SA2 and encourage more findings. These are awesome. Truly astounded, however, that none of the letter-jumble text contains any obscenities. Even more astounded that they aren't in, of all games, Sonic 06.

There are a few other small text forms in other games I've always wanted to read. Tails' communicator thing scrolls some kind of XML-looking document on the loading screen in Sonic Unleashed (360/PS3). It's extremely faint and scrolls fast, so it's difficult to read from a recording. Also, is there anything worth reading on the holo-screens in SA2 from either Eggman's hidden base ARK teleporter room or the Eclipse Cannon panel? It's clear they say things like "DANGER" and "PROJECT SHADOW" but I don't know if there's any other actual text there.

Also, in what stage is the "MONSTROUSBLACKS" text? It looks like either Prison Lane or Iron Gate.

Anyone else bothered by this recurring phenomenon in which game developers apparently care so little about their own game that they don't even bother to learn the correct spelling of places/items/characters in the game itself? It's really common, even in games hailed as "good." (I've found plenty of misspellings in the Skyrim Creation Kit.)

19. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    I lol'd pretty hard.

Anyway, I don't want to speculate what organ triggers chaos control. I'm sure doujinshi writers will love to.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Amy is also a hedgehog but she can't do Chaos Control, so.