don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    And I <3 New York shirts. Or I <3 Empire City?

2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    So...Cool Edge and Jungle Joyride are the last two I assume?

3. Retroman

Retroman

Love the speed section!!

4. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    I would suggest Yankee caps for the Egg Pawns. It's NYC after all

5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    It's not NYC. It's Empire City. Let's not fuck up the mojo of the stage by throwing in real-world elements, yea? I vote generic backwards caps and basketball jerseys. Or, like someone else suggested, fedoras and tommy guns.

6. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    I was thinking and was doing Burglar Egg Pawn and Egg Fighter Cops.

7. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Cops, I like. Burglars, not so much.

8. Tanks

Tanks

So, question to the masters... What is the plausibility of this?...

So starting from the premise that this would be 2.5D classic sonic mode... From what I understand the simplest thing would be to import the Wario model and simulate his bashing with a shortened boost. (I guess slow him down and shorten his jump as well...) I can't remember if the boost is able to break certain game objects, but if so, you can certainly make those obstacles as well. From there you could make a sort of fast Wario type game, simulating his level escapes from WL4 or Shake It! and have him rush through a level as fast as possible for a record.

But I mean, if you can get extra mechanics such as picking up enemies and throwing them working then fuck, you've got yourself half a Wario engine right there...

9. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Well, I'm kind of making a Mario Mod with Twilightzoney and Chimera on and off. I'm sure Wario wouldn't be impossible. I have the physics of Super Mario 3 down pat.

10. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    While I would never discourage someone from trying to make a mod, just remember this isn't the Source Engine. It's still Sonic Generations, you'll likely have way more fun in just doing a Generations level with various gimmicks thrown around than trying to recreate in a clunky way a game it's not. For that you have much better alternatives like UDK or Unity(with much easier ways to create content for them), what benefit would there be to grabbing Generations for it? :v: You're just likely to end up more frustrated than you should.

The fun in modding Generations is that you got one important aspect to not worry about that most fan engines can barely get right... the controls, the physics, objects, enemies, they're all already done. Sure, they're not perfect, but the majority of your players interested in a mod are already used to them.

EDIT: NVM, reading the chat log again, I see that it's not you who wanted to recreate the levels, but rather just do a Wario model import. Carry on. The above message goes for that person then.

Yes.

I'm also likely going with the Egg Fighter 50s Cops by the way.

11. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Is it just me, or do the colours in that video look over-saturated?

12. princeofknaves

princeofknaves

Detroit, Michigan
    Entropy Engine, Knuckles The Echidna Game
    Quick question: Would there happen to be 2 or 3 floats worth of data we have yet to figured out the use of in the terrain-model vertex format? I ask because there seems to be a directional element to the lightmapping and since there is no actual DLM in the assets and I sincerely doubt it uses half life's 3 basis method the only thing I can think of is that they were using 2 or 3 floats for the normal dominant incoming light and interpolate between them. or there is something alot simpler I'm not thinking of but I was curious.

13. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Anyone has a complete template for Planet Wisp objects and enemies for SonicGLVL?

14. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Model format, as far as I can tell, is 100% cracked. The directional shadows are baked into the alpha channels of the light maps. :P

15. Yes, but you may as well take the whole updated pack: http://www.sendspace.com/file/sqxoj2

16. princeofknaves

princeofknaves

Detroit, Michigan
    Entropy Engine, Knuckles The Echidna Game
    not the directional shadows the direction of incoming light. in order for normal mapping to work you need a vector the incoming light which you cannot have with 1 single lightmap and no additional information.

17. Dario FF

Dario FF

I didn't really understand your previous question, but the vertex format supports:
    - Normals
    - Tangents
    - Binormals
    - RGBA Vertex Color(Normally used for blending textures or other effects)

That's used for calculating normal mapping and such, and calculating the direction vs the global directional light of the stage(plus other static omni lights).

18. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Wasn't there a mod that lets you directly boot in the stage?

19. Dario FF

Dario FF

It's just two custom scripts, but yes, here. I would probably add them to the wiki as tools, since it's very useful for testing stages quickly.

20. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    The scene's sunlight comes from a .light file... It specifies the direction and the color/intensity of the light.