don't click here

NiGHTS HD (2012 Release)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Jason, Jul 5, 2012.

1. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Even after seeing that comparison video, I still can't honestly feel a massive difference, and whatever difference is there hasn't made the game harder (or easier) in any way as I still managed to get A ranks across the board. Even manged to paraloop Giliwigs tail after only a couple retries. Most importantly I still had fun with it, and it's still one of my all time favorite games. Apparently I'm not observant enough, but I honestly don't care.

I did straight away notice that the lighting in the Saturn mode is not as nice as it was in the Saturn game, though, and the missing Xmas NiGHTS presents is a shame but I still own the old discs so it's not a major issue. For the price it was it's IMO a good port and anyone that wants a cheap alternative to getting a Saturn and the game, which isn't so much a price problem, more a convenience of just downloading it for many, and everyone I know that hasn't played the game before has also enjoyed it.

2. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    Why hasn't this game come out on iOS? They could easily add swipe and gyro controls along with the traditional D pad. Possibly even a touch screen emulated analogue stick. all that and the short, score based, arcade-like stages make NiGHTS the perfect fit.

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Its not about A ranks, its about high scores. Any NiGHTS veteran can get A ranks easily in this port (I got an A rank on everything first try except Mystic Forest and Soft Museum).

4. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

I'm not really a hardcore top tier player though, so I guess I could see how for those it could be a problem I suppose.

5. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    I could buy this game right now, but I sure as hell am not going to until they fix those controls. Burning Rangers be damned. I don't want to see half-ass releases, polished up graphics or not. Jacking up the controls like this and expecting people not to care is just an insult to our intelligence.

6. The PS2 version came out six years ago. They've had six years to fix this abomination, so don't count on anything happening any time soon.

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    *four and a half

Februrary 2008

8. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    Really? We're getting to the point where we're calling this an abomination? It's so bad it shouldn't exist?

It's like the more you guys think about a flaw in a game, the more enraged you get. This flaw has gone from "annoying, but tolerable" to "UNPLAYABLE GARBAGE SEGA FUCKS UP AGAIN."

I'd love to hear what would make you decide that the game is an abortion. Other than failing to get a few link chains.

9. dsrb

dsrb

Notwithstanding that you're downplaying or at least unconsciously underestimating the implications of the issue - you're also confusing that with the simple fact that being unable to properly program analogue control demonstrates a level of incompetence that quite rightly should be regarded as unacceptable from a professional company; never mind one that supposedly worked closely with supposedly the most attentive fans of the original game who exist.

Also irrelevant are other people's complaints about how the port at least might introduce new players to the game, as though that gesture is sufficiently generous that no criticisms should be allowed.

I mean, is everyone done with all these spurious objections to criticisms yet? Rather than look for ways to discredit the people making them, you could just say "Well, it doesn't bother me" and leave it at that, rather than asserting that high scores don't matter, people are just looking for things to complain about, everyone should be grateful regardless of technical issues, etc.

10. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    I'm not underestimating it, I'm not downplaying it, I'm stating that, once again, the complaining is spiraling out of control into the usual obnoxious Sega-is-retarded circlejerk.

Yes. I'm saying that complaints aren't allowed. Even though I was pointing out one problem after another with this port earlier. Exactly.

Not once did I say anything remotely like "Stop it, guys! You're hurting the developers feelings ;_;"

Please don't compare me to a (excuse my lack of a better term) biodrone-like fan who tells people not to be upset at flaws in a game. I'm not.

I'm simply getting sick of watching people going from being rational about the game to frothing at the mouth over problems and calling the game an abomination. It's obnoxious. Maybe complaining about the complaints is also obnoxious, but I feel like it should be said. I'm not starting a crusade against complaints.

Especially since these problems could be reported to SEGA and they could be convinced to release a patch, like with what they're doing with SA2. That's what they're doing over at the NiGHTS fansite, that's what I've done, and I think it wouldn't hurt if some people here did that, too. Sure, it isn't right that we would have to be writing to SEGA about the problems that TRiPPY and a few others have reported to them about (they told them that they didn't have the time/money to fix them, etc.), but not trying to get them to patch it would be allowing the new players to be stuck with the bad controls, ruining their first experience. Nobody wants that, I thought.

11. dsrb

dsrb

I forgot your previous posts identifying criticisms of your own, so my bad there. And sorry if it seemed like I was singling you out, which I wasn't; I hoped it was clear that I was speaking generally (if a bit too tersely), but perhaps not. I acknowledge that you're being constructive - and now more so than me. :P

Of course, you're right that constructive criticism, namely pushing for patches and the like, is much better. I hope something comes from it!

12. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    It's fine, I didn't mean to come off as "STOP CRITICIZING THE GAME" either. Sorry about that :v:

I'm sure SEGA will eventually listen with enough complaints. As long as it isn't worded in a way that makes it sound like hate-mail, they'll probably take them seriously.

13. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Apparently NiGHTS HD has been patched. According to Trippy:

14. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Many of us were afraid that wouldn't happen. Now I can start considering buying it. Joy. =)

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    lol wut Sega patched a game? Holy Christmas.

I look forward to buying this game now when I return to the states. PS3 NiGHTS fun time (I'll be nice to play with a controller that has an analog stick that doesn't suck like the Saturn's. I don't care how accurate it is it's awkward as fuck)

16. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    SEGA is constantly patching games. I'd be surprised if they didn't.

17. synchronizer

synchronizer

Does this NiGHTS port have the same A-Life and dynamic music/level changes that were present in the Saturn version? I would imagine that they would be hard to replicate.

18. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    There are A-Life and the music does change depending on how you interact with them. I haven't played the original so I don't know if they are the same, but I'm assuming that since those features are there they are very similar if nothing else.

I also accidentally paraloop those things. Feel just as bad as accidentally smacking a Chao around.

19. synchronizer

synchronizer

In the original, I believe that the music changed depending on the mood of the Nightopians. (If you keep paralooping them you'll make them angry.) There are several variations of the songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbPsctb8hGU

20. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Yes: Cheering, Happy/(Original), Content and Angry.