don't click here

General Project Screenshots/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Sparks, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    YouTube Memes
    To me, that just looks like a S4E1 style "sprite". And I didn't like the style of cellshading S4E1 had, so I probably wouldn't play a game with that sprite style unless the gameplay made up for it. But I might be alone on thinking this- so far I'm the only one complaining about the sprite.

2. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    If I'm not mistaken, Sonic 4 Episode 1 has a 3D model, just shaded to look like a sprite.

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I think I hear Comix Zone music. I do, don't I?

That aside, I don't know if 1px thick floors would work with a Sonic engine. Sonic can end up moving pretty damn fast...you sure he won't glitch through something at high speeds?

4. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I don't think those are 1px floors.

5. Relick

Relick

England
    C++/DX10 Engine (not sonic related)
    It reminds me more of VectorMan (and a better example but I can't remember of what it is) rather than Sonic 4 Ep 1.

6. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    YouTube Memes
    That's why I said "sprite". It looks like a model shaded similarly to S4E1 to me, even though this one is actually a sprite.

7. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    So, I don't have a screenshot, but I do have a download link: Engine

Basically it's my attempt at Sonic's movement and collision. It's still a very early attempt... and I actually have MUCH MUCH more done... but have stripped out everything else and left the hedgehog and Solid Tile in. That should explain any and all loose ends, seemingly missing stuff... etc.
    I have been studying and working with the REX engine and Damizean's engine to mold my own take on the engine. I have taken out that silly circle collision mask shit, and have attempted to replace it with something closer to the original, though it STILL isn't quite there yet. You'll notice slopes still don't work yet. I fucked that up thus far and am trying to fix it.

I have also included an emulation of osc values for synced movement, and variables for synced animations. I hope this can be of use to some who don't know how to do this.

Please try it out, and even use it for yourself if you'd like... AND gimme feedback. That would be grand.
    NOTE: It's GM81, and I am NOT converting it to GMK... just get a free copy of Game Maker 8.1 and convert to GMK yourself, if you need to.

8. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Wow, these are brilliant! May I ask how you made them?

10. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    StreakThunderstorm made a Sonic mesh a while back, which I modified, shaded, rigged, and animated. This was to prove that with just the right rendering methods, I could create sprites that actually look like sprites from real 3d. So far it's working and I've only just started. I'm using Blender.

11. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    It's the best 3D-model-based Sonic sprite I've ever seen. :thumbsup:

12. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    Some more.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I reeeeally like these sprites! A lot! One nitpick I have, though, is that his wheel run animation feels a bit stilted because he's not leaning forward like he does in S1-3K. But it does remind me a bit of the Game Gear games like that, is that what you were going for?

14. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    I like what I see here, although the motion is little on the rough side.
    perhaps a few more frames could smooth things over a little bit.

15. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    Yes, a combination. I can never decide if I like SCD, S3K, Chaos or Triple Trouble the best... so I'm experimenting to see if I can make the best of all of them in one set of sprites.

They're the same amount of frames as the original sprites, which is deliberate. The jogging animation is eight frames, so its based on S2 and S3K.

16. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Those are indeed really nifty. It's like an inbetween of Donkey Kong Country and Yoshi's Island, and I love it.

17. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Yeah I figured as much. ^__^
    Something still seems a bit off on the motion, cant quite put my finger on it, are the timings correct ?

If it were me, I'd add in a few tweens just to see how it looked, ( to smooth out the animation)
    It would be easy especially with that model.

Edit: Also....
    To help out just in case the timings are off,
    Sonic's jump lasts 5 time frames for each sprite.
    At the maximum run speed, the animation should play at 3 frames per each sprite.
    I documented every animation in Genesis Green Hill Zone, to help with the GHZ 2.5D project.
    If you need any other timings let me know .

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think the main thing that bugs me about those sprites are Sonic's pupils. They're like a circle on your sprites, IMO they should be longer. Other then that though, not bad at all (Oh right and the circle feet being in front of him as he moves)

19. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    I've tried doubling the frames for a couple animations, and it does look good. I should mention I'm going to be remaking the model since proportions are off in some ways and its not as flexible as I need it. I made the rig ages ago and since then I've learned a lot more about character animation.
    Also believe it or not these sprites are for an animation project. I'm not sure yet if I'll be using them for a game.

The eyes are out of proportion anyway. In the original sprites there was "anti-aliasing" around his pupils which these sprites lack. Hence why I'm remaking the model.

20. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Some years back I was thinking to make a sonic model based on the sprites proportions ,and animate it in very much in the same way as to what your doing . keep up the good work by the way !
    ( the model I had planed would be for my CD remix project, never had the time to start that modeling project, as I've been busy modeling the environments for both Xtreme and CD remix.