don't click here

Project AXSX (Sonic Xtreme and SONIC CD REMIX A 2.5D game)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Andrew75, Feb 24, 2010.

1. winterhell

winterhell

Maybe its a survival type of a boss, like Lava Reef Zone Act 2 (and many others) where Robotnik hits himself.

2. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    We can only guess as to how this boss behaved.
    My first impression was that it ran on a conveyor belt. Or maybe a tool used to dig tunnels or something, or maybe used to travel with in a tube maybe.( although that would take 2 wheels physically, one on top and one on bottom)
    What purpose could the surrounding wheel be used for? it would have probably fit the theme of a specific zone. R2 perhaps ?

What are some other ideas? How would you guys use this boss ?

Edit:
    Also how the hell does Eggman see where he is driving the damed thing ?!

3. Easy, a monitor positioned in front of him where a windshield would be. Then again, maybe that was the trick. You waited until he leaned outside of the machine to figure out where you were, and then you whacked him.

4. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    If sonic hit Eggman directly, I'm sure that he'd be decapitated. lol

5. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    New shaders for Lighting and specular.
    Textures and models are again just tossed in randomly.
    [​IMG]

6. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Nice shaders!! Specially the clouds!

7. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    OK guys ! Questions time ! !
    Should sonic xtreme's cut scenes be done in the same exact fashion as shown in the intro part of the video below ?!
    Need someone to recreate that voice over as well. anyone up for the task ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VxBdkUbgk0&feature=related

8. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    fuck god no.

9. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Time to show of this new custom texture filter I made for photoshop.
    Basically its purpose is to give back some details to textures that were scaled down in the leaked Xtreme texture pack that originally had bigger texture counterparts shown in magazine scans and Videos.
    Many of the early shown Xtreme screens illustrated textures at 64 x 64 and 128 x 128 res instead of 32 x 32.

Now this is not perfect, but it sure does look closer to the original screens when applied to the models.
    Would have kicked ass and saved a lot of fucking around time if the original content were leaked.

(no blur filter or enlargement filter was used in generating the larger sized textures,
    basically I had scaled up the 32 x 32 texture using hard edges ( nearest neighbor (preserve hard edges ) in photoshop so that the pixels look remained as if it had not been scaled up.
    Than I had applied my detail adding filter to that.

From top to bottom
    32 x 32 original leaked texture
    64 x 64 the res I will be using for the stage I'm working on.
    128 x 128 just to show it.
    On model screens coming later.
    [​IMG]

10. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    You... actually like that voice?

11. Relick

Relick

England
    C++/DX10 Engine (not sonic related)

I've watched Sonic's Schoolhouse from Hell too many times to want a voice like that. Please reconsider.

I love those textures though, did you say that was an actual custom photoshop filter that did that or did you do it by hand after enlarging it?

12. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    I'm also going to animate Sonic in the same disjointed contorted fashion as shown in school house menu select system.
    Man I love how they make Sonic like hes a fucken god there!
    The model used is the same used in Xtreme after all :P

Its a custom filter. Doing it by hand would have been better though.( but more time consuming)
    Either way, we cant re-create the original details that are missing, its sort of all guess work.
    rather do it quickly in an automated fashion,

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Stop being so pixel perfect with this. You're trying too hard to emulate horrible ideas because it was "the style of the time." Yes it was, but it was also 15 years ago. Trying to get the main style down is one thing, but purposefully shitty textures and taking any inspiration from sonics schoolhouse? Good god why?

14. Truner

Truner

This project is about emulating the original, "horrible" game. If he wants to see it the way it was intended, let him be.
    I wouldn't even look at this project if it wasn't this pixel perfect.

This horribleness you talk about is the charm of this game. Why else remake this game if not for the nostalgia? Why would you want this game without the old Sonic style (including the fuckfest featured in schoolhouse)?

Sonic X-treme as it was intended, not as we would've liked it. There are many other fangames out there trying to improve upon the original (with better stage design, or different gameplay style). Sure, maybe this fangame will turn out shitty... just like the original intended to be.

Unfortunately because of my shitty computer I couldn't try the latest demos, but the original winter demo was oh so godly perfect. It was what I wanted to play, Sonic X-treme. It felt like a real product because it looked and played the way it looked from the videos. That's what I like about this whole project. Maybe I'm alone with this opinion, but considering how Andrew is going with this, I bet he wants a product on par with the original.

15. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    I disagree. The charm of it was the mystery surrounding it. The horribleness is what got it shitcanned. If you can improve certain aesthetic portions, why not?

16. Relick

Relick

England
    C++/DX10 Engine (not sonic related)
    After reading back through all 24 pages, I now agree with this.

The vision for AXSX from the beginning was a pixel perfect version of the game, and if Andrew hasn't proved it already he is one to stick faithfully to the original aim and finish it.

17. Truner

Truner

Well, I found the demo just as charming as the old videos of the official version.

That aside I always liked this game and never really found it horrible to begin with. Not from the old videos, nor the PC version videos and not even the demo made by Andrew. Even by looking at the videos, I'd gladly to put it above Sonic Adventure and Adventure 2.
    I'm probably going to get myself murdered for this.

18. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Wo-ho-ho-hooo, slow down guys. lol

I'm doing Xtreme as close as I can to the original for 2 reasons,
    A: Just gata love them old school graphics man !
    and
    B: Its way more challenging to recreate old school graphics than to do modern.
    Its easy to pick up some of the modern tools and look at online documentation we have today and toss something good looking together quickly. ( normal maps specular maps complex shaders ect ect)
    but when u take the tools of today and attempt to re-create some of the same effects done by tools that are long gone, than it becomes a real challenge.
    That challenge is what makes my blood boil over.
    I've grown up with all the so called crap games of yesterday,
    If u look at a number of games from 1996 using 3D graphics, Xtreme fits in at about the same quality.

I had you guys going with the school house gag, a-hahaha :P
    Don't worry, I'd kill myself before bringing that sort of low production quality to this project.
    Although it would be a fun joke to include in the game for a quick laugh!

19. I actually have a copy of Sonic's Schoolhouse laying around somewhere. Even when that game was new, it sucked...

You really going to use the Sonic model, even as a placeholder?

20. Truner

Truner

This. This so much. I grew up with old games and while I'm still a gamer, I really don't mind if a game looks "bad". Shitty graphics can be beautiful too!