don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Tylinos

Tylinos

Now that a small handful of people have apparently got the Encyclopedia in, IGN has put up some preview pages on it:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/09/the-complete-sonic-the-hedgehog-encyclopedia

And when I say few, I mean the cover and two pages. Full images beneath the spoiler:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Apart from that, someone over on Bumbleking linked a scan of a redesign of Nic the Weasel from the Encyclopedia. And it looks, uh...

[​IMG]

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Wow. I didn't know Nack was a lady on the weekends =P

3. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    That isn't Nack.

But it is odd looking that she's pink there.

4. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    I welcome the change.

5. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Worst recolored fancharacter ever. You say that's OFFICIAL? Gosh...

upon research, original Nic is ever uglier.

6. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    Who hired Tetsuya Nomura to redesign Sonic comic characters?

7. Tylinos

Tylinos

More people are getting the Encyclopedia in. A few things I've seen people mention about it:
    - Iblis, Solaris, and Mephiles are in there, but their article(s) simply discuss the events of Sonic '06 without anything new, apparently.
    - The Timeline is 31 pages long. The first 20(?) are reprinted from the first four issues of the Super Special Magazine. Page 31 ends off with Naugus being crowned and Teams Freedom and Fighters being formed.
    - Hershey is summed up in a single sentence.
    - The version of Angel Island in Anti-Mobius/Moebius has its name changed from Sunken Island to Demon Island. Our Irish friend Anti-Knuckles finally has a name as well: Overseer O'Nux.
    - Nerb Freedom Fighters
    - The Sonic Shuffle and Sonic Underground characters surprisingly have articles.
    - The world map's had a bit of a makeover. Knothole's been moved to Georgia, Old Robotropolis to around Kentucky, and New Mobotropolis is in Virginia.
    http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o439/Chao_Rcute/Scans%20and%20Stuff/World_Map1.jpg
    http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o439/Chao_Rcute/Scans%20and%20Stuff/World_Map2.jpg

Also, got Universe #45 in. For a non-canon game tie-in, it was silly fun. I enjoyed it. Eggman even makes his most vile declaration yet: [inlinespoiler]He plans to steal AiAi's banana horde so he can have an endless supply of banana smoothies.[/inlinespoiler] That horrible fiend. Oh, and for some reason Danica Patrick has her real-life racecar instead of her in-game one. Okay.

8. Any idea what the one sentence describing Hershey is? "She was the wife of Geoffrey St. John, before she a-sploded"?

9. Tylinos

Tylinos

http://www.destructoid.com/exclusive-archie-is-making-a-sonic-underground-epilogue-236442.phtml

[​IMG]

Sonic Universe #50: An ending for Sonic Underground

EDIT:

10. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I....Just...WHAT?!

Now this was just a ball out of left field there Ian.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    WOW. Sonic Underground. But that can't be Sonic Universe 50, I thought that was all Megaman cross overs from 50 to 53?

However I'm really glad that they still used classic designs for the most part. Man it's been a while since Archie recognized Sonic Underground

12. Tylinos

Tylinos

The crossover has Universe 51 to 54.

13. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    Oh wow, and Spaz did a hell of a job on the linework there! I'd go as far to say it looks like something he did before 2000. Very impressive!

Though, that's interesting. Why go for a Sonic Underground Epilogue after an entire decade way past any sense or relevancy, let alone as a mere one off?

14. aaronlong

aaronlong

cartoon guy Member
    Toronto, Canada
    Mostly non-Sonic-related, but I make cartoons.
    Damn, seeing Spaz draw classic Sonic makes me feel nostalgic for the mid-90s era of the comic. Why can't Sonic always look that good? Sans the stupid medallion, of course.

As for the actual content of the issue, I guess it'd be nice to give some closure to all three of the fans of Sonic Underground out there who have been on the edge of their seat since the series ended, screaming "WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN TO SLEET AND DINGO NOW?"

15. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    That's actually an interesting direction to take. I wonder if they'll go further with it and go into other series...

16. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    How many pages is a general Sonic Universe comic? Just Sonic Underground was the series I grew up with, so I'd rather not see a conclusion rushed.

17. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Dang, I never expected them to revive that!

To be very honest, if Archie were to treat the Underground universe the same way they did their own (being very tied to the tv series but eventually evolving it into it's own entity), if it were to be successful, I think it would have a lot of potential to become something very, very cool. Kind of a MegaMan Zero-type feel. Now that the series that spawned it is no more, Ian has the opportunity to really develop this world into a compelling narrative.

And I miss Spaz' Classic Sonic.

18. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    Aren't SU issues always multi-parters?

19. Tylinos

Tylinos

20 pages, I think.

Usually, but not always. The ASRT issue this month was a single issue story. So is this one. (Archie already said #50 was stand-alone. The Mega Man crossover starts in #51, so there wouldn't be room anyway.)

20. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Guys...I want to get into the comics, but I've never read anything except a few issues scattered around, especially the first ones based on aosth. I want to catch on the comics, how do you recomend me to do it? I've seen a few sonic the hedgehog archives around amazon, and I already ordered Sonic: Genesis over there. Are they OK to start, or should I read some ones first?