don't click here

Sonic Adventure 2 XBLA

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Narstyle, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    No..... they really aren't. I'm not going to convince you otherwise, so I'm not going to try, other than say you're completely wrong. Sorry.

This, on the other hand, I completely agree with. Make them their own Tamagotchi-style budget title, well away from the main proper games, and the diehard Chao fans who already own SA2 will buy it. Do it cheaply enough and sell at a high enough price and it'll make a net profit, shut the Chao-obsessers up, and fund some real Sonic titles at the same time.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Technically the chao stuff has its purpose in Sonic Adventure because it's tied to the stupid story with Chaos, but you're right in that this noise could have been written out and doesn't need to be in Adventure 2 at all.

I think they got wrapped-up in the A-Life system they tagged onto NiGHTS and wanted to make something more involving in the next Sonic outing. But it's pointless in NiGHTS too because it screws with the music and makes the game easier.

3. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    So… I'm a horrible person for wanting Chao Gardens back in the next big title, right? =B Just making sure.

I really loved those, honestly. Don't see anything at all wrong with them, as they do add replay value to me.

4. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Right, but it's a ham-fisted extension that forces the player to replay stages just to raise them, not so much as making the stages as fun to play through several times so the player can discover new routes or secrets. In other words, it's a hangover issue that began from SA1: a needless sideshow gimmick.

Instead of wasting space on chao, I'd use the time to refine the stages or even add more to give them that extra pop so the player keeps coming back for more. There's a certain charm in old games that keeps people coming back to them (And I'm not just talking the Sonic Genesis titles) that I feel Sega and other developers have lost and have yet to fully recapture. You don't need shoe-horned gimmicks to make a game fun. Example: I played NiGHTS on my Saturn without ever once paying attention to the A-LIFE system and had a blast just flying around trying to break my score. I'd have loved one or two more levels rather than it be wasted on an otherwise pointless mechanic (yes, I already know how it augments the game.)

5. LOL, how can you substantiate your opinion? I'm not in favor of either statement, but to call someone wrong without even the slightest bit of credible evidence to prove your point seems outlandish. I mean, really, where are your pie charts, gents!

6. SadisticMystic

SadisticMystic

a user Member
    Until someone decides to pull off the obscenely slow score-scalping mechanism that's possible there?

7. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    To some people, they found the Chao gardens were a good factor. They added replay value for many people who enjoyed it.
    Having said that, I don't think they have a place in todays games unless they bought it back to be incorporated in the games. In which case I predict the Black Market would have more of a DLC concept where you could buy Chao eggs and other items from something like the XBL Marketplace as well as in game with rings.

I also concur with what Gene said where you could have a standalone iOS game in a similar vain to a much improved 'Tiny Chao Garden' but with minigames, racing, karate etc.

8. Nova

Nova

I think the best solution here is to agree to disagree... At the end of the day, lolopinions, so we could be going back-and-forward for ever.

9. Graxer

Graxer

I agree with you fully! I loved it when Chaos were part of the series and it would be great to see them return!

10. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Well there's a person with around 23300 who had a time of over 5 minutes who was 1st before, so that was probably it. Mine was less than 3 and a half minutes and around 23500 points. Made sure to get as many of the little things that spawn out of some of the experiments as I could using the Light Attack to make sure I got plenty of score :v:

11. SadisticMystic

SadisticMystic

a user Member
    That's probably not it, because the mechanism isn't limited to scores in the 20000s, and even 5 minutes isn't nearly long enough to get any use out of it. We're talking a very slow scalping process...probably about 200 points per minute (whereas just getting to the goal sooner is 1200 points per minute until the time bonus runs out). It's also a delicate process that's prone to messing up, and if you mess up more than twice (possibly even less), you're done.

12. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    ...Excuse me?

13. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Nothing horrible about that at all. I loved raising Chao as well. The only problem I have with it now is that I can't put as much time into it as I did ten years ago when I was in high school and had tons of free time. Now I have a day job that I have to be at five days a week all year round, therefore meaning less time to spend on maxing out my Chao with an ample supply of unicorns/phoenixes/dragons/skeleton dogs. *sigh* Good times...

14. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    The example I'm going to use might piss off people who have actually played the game, but I'm amazed Sonic Team didn't move the A-LIFE system into something like Phantasy Star Online. Breeding your own creatures with different alignments, and being able to magically give them animals to increase specific stats and then taking them into battle seems like a great "Pokemon"-styled thing to do and actually fits in better than alongside action platformer elements in the Sonic series.

15. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    They kind of did. The MAG system augmented your MAG, the abilities it gave you and its evolutions depending on what items you fed it. To keep it balanced, I always fed it Star Atomizers exclusively. Then I eventually turned it into a Dreamcast. :v:

16. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    So what exactly is the method then? Because other than say it's slow and it gets points you've not said much else.

17. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    So just got all the achievements. It was actually pretty fun going through the game again.

18. Sey

Sey

I'm astonished at how enjoyable the game is even now. I really miss the all-round scoring method which forced you to learn every single stage like the back of your hand, today it's just 'finish quickly without dying.'

19. SadisticMystic

SadisticMystic

a user Member
    On closer inspection, it might not work after all. The key was to move one of the "X-Box" stage projectiles directly in front of a high speed warp tube, charge a light attack, break the glass, and immediately release the light attack which would home in on the stage projectile but be unable to do anything. After several seconds, the glass reappears and you can cancel the light attack to repeat the process, now with 20 more points.

However, a GC light attack won't home in on stage projectiles, so it's doomed to fall short, and the rerelease almost certainly replicates the GC behavior. The original source (Japanese) marks it as DC-only as well.

20. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Must have been a bug that they fixed in the GC version. Should mean I'm good for now then haha. Very interesting, abeit extremely slow method though, good thing Adventure 2 doesn't have a time over system =P Though other than rank (which it isn't hard to get an A there anyway) was there any point to it in the DC version?