don't click here

Sonic Adventure 2 XBLA

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Narstyle, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Sey

Sey

I've always been a bit confused about Cosmic Wall; was it 50,000 points for an A-Rank on DC and 100,000 on Battle? Because I just got an A-Rank with 81,010 on the XBLA version.

2. Tyty

Tyty

KNUXEDO KAMEN Member
    ↑ & ↓ & ↻
    Nah, iirc it's 80k on the GC version, or about there. You cut it pretty close actually.

I haven't picked this up yet. I'm gonna wait for the PC version probably. I've still got my gamecube disc, and a working Wii, so :V

3. RedMetallix

RedMetallix

Supreme Thunder Member
    A desk.
    What? Don't be silly.
    You're thinking of Hard Mode.

4. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    It's 75000 I'm fairly sure and 100000 for the Hard mission (I think).

5. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages

I always see that scene as Sonic & Shadow wanking up. I'm sick as fuck.

besides that...anyone here is keen on chao? I've trouble with one of my chao. I accidentally gave him a bat, and he has lost his legs. I've trying to give him legs again by giving him lots of dead bone animals, dragons and a few regular animal ( bears and rams, if I remember right) but the legs ( and wings...) does not grow up again! what can I do?

Also, does anybody know how to get the sky blue egg in black market? I've seen that it exist in several guides and FAQ's, but I have never seen it ingame. I want one.

6. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Strange. In that release trailer from a few days ago, we saw them showing some concept-arts of Knuckles in Aquatic Mines, and it's not in that interview. Is there only one interview in the game ?

7. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    There's some boney-dog like thing which removes animal parts/properties from Chao, I'm fairly sure that's what it is anyway. Also looking on the Cosmic Wall article, it's 53000 on DC and 80000 on GC. Oddly enough Hard Mode on DC was actually less than it's normal mode, at 50000, with the GC one at 100000.

EDIT:...and the towards the bottom of the Cosmic Wall article it shows different values entirely
    Looks like we need a definitive test XD

8. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Spain
    I've already tried giving lots of bone dogs, to no avail :( Someone told me that bone dogs make bat effect permanent...is that true?

9. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    You have to just keep pumping it full of dead bones dogs, its the only way, go to pumpkin hill, I think the left rocket, get to the church tower, there is one by a gravestone and a ghost, 15second job, collect it and quit and just keep doing it till you have like 10 of them, that should sort it, you said you gave it loads, but thats really the only way to do it =/

10. Nova

Nova

Again, I say - they never promised anything more than that. Hell, the game's official title isn't even Sonic Adventure 2 HD. The HD tag is just a moniker that fans came up with.

Also, comparing a re-release of a video game and a plan to stab children is meaningless - that's a worthless comparison and doesn't really add any weight to your argument. At the end of the day, I just find it mildly irksome that people are complaining over a re-release, citing issues that they're coming up with in their own heads - Sega never promised to fix anything, never promised to improve anything and they have never made an effort to do so in any re-releases in the past, bar Sonic CD (which was, of course, developed by The Taxman so this is the exception) so where did these unrealistic expectations come from? It's also not financially viable for them to do so at the moment - I'd say re-releasing a game that's at least ten years old is good enough, especially for people who don't have the original copy anymore or something.

It seems people are saying "Look I know you're doing a port of a 10-year old game but can you please spend a few months and some cash to fix all the issues and make a it a good game?" - why should they? I'd rather they pinch the pennies and throw re-releases out, followed eventually by a new game, than blow it all on a half-assed remake of a game that only really succeeds in polarizing the fanbase.

The simple solution here is; if you don't like it/already have it, don't buy it. I can agree to disagree but can people just accept that some people wanted this, and it doesn't do them any harm to just sidestep it completely if it's not to your taste?

-

ON ONLINE MULTIPLAYER: I can understand the criticism, though I can't expect it would add any real longevity to the game. I've never sat and thought "I'd love to play SA2 online with someone" because the multiplayer just isn't that good. If we had a decent Sonic 2 offering, I don't think anybody would be complaining - they'd all be too busy playing that. :eng101:

ON BONE DOGS: They work - it can just take a fuckton of them if you're unlucky. They're not 100% guaranteed to remove animal parts, hell, I don't even think it's 75% guaranteed.

ON INTERVIEW VID: The parking tickets bit is hilarious. As Guess Who pointed out on IRC this morning, the vehicle can be found in a tunnel during Mission Street. :v:

11. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Resident Skulldog chao raiser here!

Yes the effects of a chao part will be removed with skulldogs. but you may have to feed them more then just 1 sometimes parts can be fickle and not come off in 1 go.

Btw, just follow my recipe in the link for a decently strong chao with little effort.

12. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    because that's what good developers do

but whatever - I think it's a lazy port, you're fine with it. Nobody is "wrong".

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ^ Well, I think we can all agree, you shouldn't be able to access a fucking test level without even trying to access it.

14. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    I understand the argument, I'm only putting forth why they decided against adding online multiplayer with or without the options that would be available. Most of the Sonic games as well as the method you refer to that independent developers have come up with simply does not work that well for a game like Sonic Adventure 2.

From a business perspective and to put forth a satisfying online experience, it just wouldn't work.

I remember my experience playing Sonic 2 online. It was pretty awful. It had a terrible lobby system, only maybe like two or three games max would be available during the time, and anyone who was playing as Player 2 (Tails) would be at the mercy of the first player's connection since it treated Player 1 as the host and Player 2 as the client. All Backbone games as well as the method you presented regarding SA2 and Melee being playable online share the same method for online multiplayer where the second player will provide button inputs, and those inputs would be updated based on what is happening on player 1's game system. In most cases, especially mine, a lot of my inputs were delayed to the point that I could not play anywhere near as effectively as I normally am.

Brawl uses this method for online code, and it's so bad that hardly anyone plays the game online anymore. Save for those die-hards who are egotistical enough to rather gang up on people who are just coming back because they just don't play Brawl right anymore! Grr!

When you compare that experience to a game that doesn't use this method for netcode, lets just use Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing, the difference between each experience is immediate. Instead of using a system that sends all input to a host, they instead use a system that also relies on interpretation. You'll fire a weapon at another player and it has to hit them on their end, then other player's reaction would be sent to the host letting them know the item actually hit. The game actually de-syncs quite a bit, though you can't really tell since you'll never see what is actually happening on anyone else's screen.

All Stars Racing was built around the idea of it being played online whereas Sonic Adventure 2 was only intended for local multiplayer in the beginning. Unlike the Mega Drive games that are in an emulation wrapper, Sonic Adventure 2 was rebuilt using the original game code. As it's been said several times, the budget for the port as well as the effort would not allow for any kind of online code to work.

Finally, the game's multiplayer mode...just isn't very good. They would also have to go over the balance issues, exploits and other problems the game had to make sure the experience is as good as it can be. It's not going to happen.

15. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    My favorite, as said before, was picking Alt Sonic, spamming Sonic Wind, and dodging every single checkpoint.

16. Nova

Nova

Yeah, this is another reason to take into consideration on 'why they didn't add online multiplayer'.

There is huge potential to be a massive faggot.

and you wouldn't even be able to punch the guy sitting next to you for doing it

17. SadisticMystic

SadisticMystic

a user Member
    You can do even better. Pick Red Tails as Player 1 at Cosmic Wall. Your opponent is powerless to beat you! Even if you miss, it's probably just an endless fall instead of death, so either you wait for a time-over draw or (if time limits are off) the game never ends and the opponent likely throws the first punch (and not a propeller punch, either).

Since Cosmic Wall only got more broken at the rerelease, I doubt they did anything to "fix" that level here.

18. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Because there's no point to adding online play. What part of "quick release, quick cash generator" does no one understand? There was NEVER any chance of this game getting anything like that.

19. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Spain
    Thanks! I already got it's legs back. Now I have to quit the parts I don't like... any advice on selecting which parts of an animal are grown on the chao, or is it absolutely random? Also, that skullchao looks cool, I'll try that!

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Can I also say to anyone saying that adding more Chao features or spending time on fixing Chao features will add more sales to the game - you are deluding yourselves. The only people who actually care about Chao are people who were going to get SA2 anyway. They're filler that was added at a time when Sonic Team were experimenting with what would work and what wouldn't in a Sonic title. There's a reason they haven't been in a main series game since 2001.