don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Squidgy

Squidgy

Alright guys, this is going to seem like a noob question, but I can't find the answer anywhere.

I recently tried to make changes to an already existing mod's Sonic.ar.00 file. Well, this used to work for me all the time... but apparently not anymore.

I took an already made character mod who had the animations necessary and attempted to swap its model with another. The model swap worked fine, but for some reason all of the animations reverted to Sonic's rather than the unique ones in the mod.

I've tried everything, and I can't seem to get the mod to work properly. No matter what I do, the animations always revert back.

I'm using Generations Archive Editor to do this, and I use Sonic GMI to run my mods. I'm not sure if I'm just packing it wrong, or if its a problem with one of the programs, or what, but any help would be appreciated.

2. Korama

Korama

Tech Member
    Thanks. But why did you (I presume) give it a save file? Logo removal is a prime example for a mod that should NOT have its own save file.
    To remove it, delete the line SaveFile="Saves\sonic.sav" in the mod.ini and delete the Saves folder.

3. KuroBit

KuroBit

Very much so! It seems to run at 60 fps at 720p, which has never happened for me before. I guess I'll just ]keep it on by default :) (Unless it screws with other things).

4. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Oops, sorry about that. I had a save file in it because I didn't have my own at the time, so I put it in Logo Removal because I always used it. Since then I made a seperate mod for holding a save file.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?sak3n5nt8leegyo
    There's the update, no save included.

5. KuroBit

KuroBit

I suddenly have a possibly very dumb weird question, but would it be possible (maybe through the use of an external program instead of trying to add this right into the exe) to use the shadow missions, and create a multiplayer environment?

What I mean is... Have a program that constantly reads your and your opponent's position/rotation/animation data, and relay it through a network and apply it to the ghost. It may not be very functional at first (players starting at different times, No indication as to who won, etc.) but I think this would be incredibly neat to try.

I'd be willing to tackle this myself, but I've only used Game Maker in the past to relay data over a network, and I would have no idea what program would support reading and writing RAM data from a program (Sonic Generations in this case), and I'm fairy certain no one has made a plugin for that sort of function, so I'm sure something else would have to be used or if anything like that even exists. The only program I know of is Cheat Engine, but I don't think that has any programability or network functions.

6. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Ah, great! Many thanks Katamari!

7. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    The renderer still makes everything look like it's being watched through fog ;-;

Any help with this? It's faster and I really want to use it.

8. Does anyone have a side by side comparison of the directional shadows, diffusion rays, and diffuse textures? Because I have no idea what or how these make things look different.

9. SonicHyuga

SonicHyuga

Tennessee
    Sky Rail (Generations) and Aquarium Park (Generations)
    How's this?

[​IMG]

10. I know almost everyone will disagree with me on this, but directional shadows aside, I really do think that the Generations render looks better...

11. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I'm sure many are familiar with BrianuuuSonic's attempts to port Tropical Resort to Generations. Well...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu_bpjXpyfA
    To be blunt, I don't like the White World mix he has.

So, I made my own!

https://www.box.com/s/6d4bipy949q0wv8xxwl8

Not 100% complete, and I'm open to critique, so...

12. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    And lack of AA as well, but you can easily force that. (On an NVidia GPU at least it won't break 2D like on ATI) Hold off any judgements until I'm able to get the Generations shaders to work properly with it instead. (That includes directional shadows as well)

EDIT: Pic of what I have so far.
    [​IMG]
    I need to fix a lot of 2D effects though, and some not-correct shaders yet. IDK a thing about Shader ASM, but trying regardless. This is actually using the Gens shaders, the ones that normally have the red tint. Along with a minor fix of mine to correct the shadow blending.

13. Yeah that's TOTALLY much better than the one he's using. The instrument set you're using sounds much more "White Worldish". Can't wait to hear the finished version.

14. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
  15. Dario FF

Dario FF

So here's a video of the Unleashed renderer WITH the GENERATIONS shaders(as in, the newest ones used ingame), with a custom fix I'm doing for the shadows. The fix involves using the Direct X SDK to batch convert all the Game's shaders to HLSL ASM, edit the text files automatically to add relevant instructions to fix it, and compile it back to the game.

It's quite complicated to fix all of them sometimes, and I still have a lot of stuff left to correct. It's also quite annoying that the fix involves having to patch all materials in the game with a parameter because this renderer just doesn't default it(hence the red tint). But we'll see how it goes.

Now if we can get the lack of AA, the Shadow Map res fixed, and untie the Motion blur from FPS a bit, we got a winner.

16. Dario, that's amazing. You're amazing.

God I can't wait to play it. I'm sure you don't, but if you need testers with good capture cards, I'm so your man.

17. I noticed that at 1:50 the shadows get cut off at the bottom left, is there a reason for this?

18. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    It's most likely the material itself that's causing that, however I can't confirm that for sure. It seems the shader Dario's using is a bugged version anyway.

God if only we could really convert the Unleashed shaders to PC format :U

19. Looks nice I guess, but I still can't really tell many differences between this and the Generations renderer (minus the shadows), they both look gorgeous IMHO...

Offtopic: Well, it turns out Sonic GMI doesn't work with the Demo, at least not for me. Anyone else have any luck getting it to work?

20. Dario FF

Dario FF

That happens in Unleashed as well. :v: It's just how the engine works.

EDIT: Looking at that video, I might have to make the self-shadowing a bit stronger.