don't click here

NiGHTS HD (2012 Release)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Jason, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Have you played around with Christmas NiGHTS at all? I'm curious if it's less abridged than in the PS2 port.

2. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    It's the same as the PS2 port.

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Mind sharing what the other set of "???" is on the main menu? There was only one on the PS2 version and that was Christmas NiGHTS.

4. Shit. Thanks. I guess I will have to get around to eBaying it for Saturn.

5. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I really am just guessing here, but is it for the developer interviews? Unless those are somewhere else. No one has really been mentioning/showing the NiGHTS port so I have no clue.

6. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I want to assume that is under "Presents". In the PS2 version the movie theater and the gallery were separate things but this new version take those away and instead we have the Presents category.

7. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Split these off from SA2 thread for the sake of cleanliness.

It's for the developer interviews, I'd guess as well.

8. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    The second ??? is for the Nightopian collection. You clear it after beating Christmas NiGHTS.

On a side note, I really like the new voice-over for the Christmas cutscenes.

9. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Why does SA2 get a PSN demo, but not NiGHTS? Guess I'm waiting till Friday to try it on XBLA.

10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Don't really think that deserves it's own category on the main menu, but okay. I'm intrigued by the new voice-over for Christmas NiGHTS though as I'm used to the Saturn one (Unless they got the same woman to do it).

11. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    Here's a post from the NiGHTS Fansite forums:

Personally, I think this guy is overreacting. This isn't like Sonic 4's physics problems. At all.

To be honest, the analogue controls feel much more loose and more responsive than in the PS2 version.

12. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Since charlie is the one saying it I'm inclined to believe him.

This is charlie playing the Saturn version:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPNN3yGfOAU

13. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    While I'm nowhere near as skilled at NiGHTS as he is, things do feel a bit off. Granted, I'm somewhat used to the Saturn 3D Pad.

14. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Anyone like Burning Rangers?

[​IMG]

https://twitter.com/okunari/status/253453198227017728

15. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    But that would take effort, as NiGHTS just happened to have a version with updated graphics lying around. Sega's not up for putting effort into their rereleases unless someone else has done it for them.

16. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    Is it just an issue of not being used to how the control stick works on the PS3 (and 360 for that matter?) How the control sticks handle between modern consoles and the Sega Saturn's 3D Pad are pretty different. Even during the Retro Heritage Stream, I have difficulty even on an actual 3D Control Pad (Thats in pretty good shape mind you.)

Film Footage: http://youtu.be/pAf9SmvnZ24?t=10m46s

Also this video is cooler because of Elliot's breakdance moves.

17. Burning Rangers!! Buy the hell out of NiGHTS!!

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Part of me thinks that if you don't buy any Sega products, the company will be forced to change its outlook on video game production...

...and do a better job at porting Burning Rangers in the future. Or make new Burning Rangers. Or make completely new games instead of relying on fifteen-year-old products.

although another part of me says doing that would probably see no re-releases of Burning Rangers ever because the company would go bust. Which is a shame because IIRC Saturn copies are pointlessly expensive second hand. There'll be a reason why I don't own a copy.

19. Eric Wright

Eric Wright

Born into this. Oldbie
    That dude is good... He even has the altered music playing.

I was never an ace at the Saturn version, but I like to think I was at least competent. I DID notice how awkward the PS2 version felt when I played it, and I was hoping the new re-release would have fixed those problems... guess it's asking too much

20. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    It seems to be a slight change in the control sensitivity that ends up affecting the whole game. If that's the case, I would think it could be easily modded on the PC version when it comes out (as long as it's as easy to crack as Generations).

The only time I felt any real difference was when I was trying to paraloop the Gillwing boss. It was a pain in the ass.