don't click here

Sonic is getting trading cards

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Skyler, Sep 18, 2012.

1. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books

>using Sonic News Network

Sonic Generations had his birthday from (unspecified) to (unspecified). Sonic Channel still gives it as 15.

I'm going by Sonic Channel.

2. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Remember that the Sonic Channel Bios haven't been updated in like nine million years. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Sonic is anywhere from 16-20 as of Generations.

You don't turn 15 on your birthday when you were already fifteen at least a year prior. He's been duking it out with Dr. Robotnik for years, mind, and he's always been a teenager. I'd say Classic Sonic is anywhere from 13-16, while Sonic of the present is 16-20.

3. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    If we do Retro Member cards, I think we should make them less like game cards and more like sports cards. See example:

[​IMG]

It's a similar setup, but there's more space for the subject.

4. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I did as well. Only, I actually made up game mechanics, traced the card shape/size from my Yugioh cards, and drew everything. I should scan some, embarrassingly horrible as they are.....

[​IMG]

I made this using the Magic Set Editor for Magic the Gathering cards.

5. David The Lurker

David The Lurker

For some mysterious reason... Administrator
    Oh man, I love it when the Sonic News Network steals text from the Retro wiki verbatim. Except for the line about Generations, which is of course treated properly on Retro as opposed to the "oh man he has to be this much older because I said so!" mentality of the Sonic News Network writers.

I think this is the point where we all remind ourselves that Sonic the Hedgehog, along with everyone else in the cast, are cartoon characters. You can look at the Simpsons as one huge example where time has clearly elapsed and people have had birthdays but the principle cast has remained the same age. I wonder how old Mickey Mouse would be if you were to count up any instance where he is being depicted having a birthday. The age is not an important part of the puzzle, aside from the vague notion that Sonic is meant to be a teenager. That's why I like Ohshima's original idea that Sonic may or may not be 18, but it is hard to tell because it isn't super important. Sonic was 15 when the first Sonic game was released, and aside from briefly being 16 for a couple years, has remained at 15. Because that is the magic of cartoon characters and sliding timelines.

6. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    This is my thought as well. I mean, in Calvin and Hobbes, how many trackable years passed in the comic's run? Yet Calvin always stayed 6. I always thought Sonic was kind of the same way.

7. Exactly. Establishing an exact age for a fictional character just creates arguments among fans.

I got the impression that the "birthday party" for Sonic in Generations was meant merely to commemorate the 20th anniversary. I never thought of it as Sonic canonically being a year older.

8. BystanderLC

BystanderLC

I like Skyler's idea. I'm sure making a card collection will be fun! We should go really creative with it, if we do decide to start one. There's already a collection of Sonic Channel renders, Sonic Battle cards, Sonic Rivals cards, Sonic Adventure wallpapers, Secret Rings collection of art covers, and so many themed forums for Sonic.

If there is upcoming original art, I'd like to see a Christmas Amy Rose again and some of those prototype Sonic Rider costumes on cards.

Unless we do start a Trading Card game, then I could offer some input. I've played Tyrant and Pokemon TCG online.

9. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    SEGA showed the Classic Sonic card on Facebook:

[​IMG]

Not sure what I think about this.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I do, it's shit.

11. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    So they just gave away a card for free, right?

12. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    Someone said in this topic that to wiki those cards, I have 5-6 cards to give if their interested.

13. Kampfer

Kampfer

*sigh*

Anyone with Photofiltre could have done that. The card would have been much cooler if they did new art of Classic Sonic, a-la those desktops released right before the 2011 edition of Sonic CD.

I hope this isn't Sega going back to the mid-2000's thinking that just because Sonic is (somewhat)-cool(er) again, they can slap a blue hedgehog on just anything and expect it to print money. While these are just digital trading cards, the line of though could begin leaking to the games again, and that would be muy mal.

14. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I'm not sure. That's what I find weird about this whole thing. How can you sell .jpg images successfully? Once one person gets it, then it can be copied everywhere. Perhaps that one is just a preview version, or something.

I meant about this whole idea. This idea as a whole, plus the rather low quality of the cards seen thus far, seems pitifully desperate. Is it that much more expensive to actually print the cards and distribute them in stores and such? I'd be much more sold on this if they did, and I'm sure I am not alone.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh. Same answer. Collecting trading cards digitally is a load of crap since what's to stop someone from saving the image and distributing it? Oh no, they won't have the card in the special trading card program. These seem like really, REALLY lazy cash ins. They should be ignored, and they should fade into nothing. Move along, nothing to see here.

16. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Send them over to ashthedragon on the service. She's our official Sonic Retro Card Collector. :v:

17. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Yup! Just send them to me, my username there is ashthedragon too. I have only 4 cards to get left, so I'll be able to post here the entire collection soon

18. JRokujuushi

JRokujuushi

J64 Member
    Which ones do you still need? I decided to check out the free stuff and it gave me the following:

Classic Super Sonic
    Classic Knuckles
    Sonic the Werehog
    Shellcracker
    Sonic the Hedgehog (the game, not the character)
    Sonic 3D Blast
    Sonic Rush Adventure
    Tails

Let me know if any of those are ones you still need and I'll send 'em over.

If anybody else wants them, that's cool too, but the general opinion seems to be that nobody cares.

19. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I have all the cards now, how do I upload them to the wiki? or do I have to be a special member to do it?

20. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    DO IT

CRUSH THE IMAGE ECONOMY