don't click here

SonicGDK 1.30.000

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Xaklse, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I think we are looking at try to have a Generations feel.

2. New 1.10.070 version is up!
    Source Code (requires UDK July 2012): Cr / FS / PL / RG / RS / TB / Up / ZS

What's new? In short:
    • Improved Sonic Physics mode.
    • Save/load data to/from any file.
    • Created the SGDKAnimNodeSequence animation node (animations can be rewinded, chained list of animations).
    • Many minor fixes and improvements.

-
    I'm looking for people who would want to help with Flash menus; Flash gurus with ActionScript3 knowledge and/or 2D graphics designers are welcome. The intention is to create a main menu for SonicGDK to let the player change the system settings with it and load any of the available levels.
    -

3. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Hmm. I could try some Generations style menus. If that's what you're looking for. Although, from what I hear (on UDK forums), Scaleform is kind of "meh".

4. Scaleform is kind of "meh"?? It's by far the most powerful UI solution for UDK, and yes, I have used it.

Nope, I don't want Generations style menus; I would prefer to use crappy original stuff than cloning the graphics from another game.

5. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Okay, do you have a design in mind? Other than "anything will do"?

6. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Hey Azu when doing the menu could u make it so that you can easily change the graphics ?
    example don't crowd all the textures and fonts if using a single sheet.
    That way its easy to come in and change up the menus with new graphics without having to worry to much about spacings.
    (Some fonts create longer lines than others)

Also are you doing Pause menu as well?

7. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I was thinking of doing in a sheet style and possibly making a BitMap Font-style sheet. Although, I'd not sure if UDK ignores the alpha in bit-map fonts. For example in MMF2 the Text Blitter Plugin includes the alpha in the characters. So if you have a sheet like A B C D, it would write out "l I k e t h I s" instead of "like this".

Anyway, I was think of doing something like this:
    [​IMG]

8. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    That looks pretty good so far.

9. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    That's from Generations. It's an example of the sheet format I was going for.

10. Nope, but an updated classic-like interface would be cool.

A pause menu is trivial and doable if we just use 3 buttons: Resume, Quit to Main Menu and Exit Game.

From Generations... exactly what I don't have in mind. Don't know what you can accomplish with this as inspiration though.

11. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    I believe that he was just giving you an example of how he would have the sheet layout. IE: would that be an acceptable level of spacing between items on the sheet, etc? At least, that's how I took it based on the rest of the comments.

12. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    HighFrictionZone is right, Space layout. However, I had something in mind with gears.

13. As far as I know, you can't have all the graphics in a single texture; I'm not 100% sure though, Flash guru and tests are needed.

Gears? What about spindash with spikes ala SonicAdventure2?

14. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
  15. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    You can do crazy sprite sheets like that but there's no point with Flash. Flash is vector by nature; putting many things on one "sprite sheet" internally is itself related to the inherent limitations of graphics memory for raster texture sizes. Apples and oranges.

16. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Well you actually can have sprite sheets and then import to Flash and tell it to Trace the Bitmap (automated vectorizing).

But at this point this is actually stupidity to do, at least if you're developing your own graphics instead of using like... Generations/Adv2/etc. Illustrator and/or Corel are the best tools to do any kind of graphical texture related to HUDs and whatever interfaces. They're programs designed to be used for this kind of stuff and have a bunch of tools that no Photoshop or Gimp has... You can also import your vector to Flash instead of having to save it as an PNG or TGA and import it, having to work with limited graphics size then.

17. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I do have Inkscape, but I don't have Illustrator nor Corel. I got copy from a friend. So I did this. It's a work in progress.
    [​IMG]
    However, I'm thinking of doing something with Sonic logo. My idea is that the background of the title screen could have gears moving and rotating about. The menu could spin on two connected gears. Start Game (or Choose Map), Options, and Exit. I like simple designs, but I can get a little busy with some of my designs.

18. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Yeah, like I said, you CAN do it but it'd be completely ass-backwards.

19. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I'm starting to re-learn flash, but I don't know AS at all, but hey. It's pretty awesome to learn a new skill.

20. I'm open to any design from anyone, if nobody else contributes I'll use yours for sure. Use the SGDK logo contained in the .zip releases.

What I have in mind:
    If I count bold sections, that makes 4 "pages".
    Technical requirements: scripts written in ActionScript3, usage of CLIK elements (from Scaleform library)

About rasterized graphics vs vector graphics, Epic uses rasterized ones, there must be a reason; performance probably, although I wouldn't mind about that in main menus.

Best Practices of Scaleform Content // Best Practices of Scaleform ActionScript

Develop for Scaleform without Adobe Flash (Vectorian Giotto and FlashDevelop)

Scaleform MainMenu Tutorials: Epic's // Mavrik's

I would be in charge of the UnrealScript part of the menus, so you don't have to worry about it.