don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

I have no idea what's going on. Member
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    The remix itself isn't actually bad by any means, though it does seem to lack the energy and life of most of Classic Sonic's songs in Generations. Could use a bit of livening up.

2. princeofknaves

princeofknaves

Detroit, Michigan
    Entropy Engine, Knuckles The Echidna Game
    It's in the Output Section Click Add and it gives you a list of Render Elements. But may I suggest just changing he renderer to mental ray and using a daylight system with mr Sun and mr Sky you get great results.
    [​IMG]

3. Ajavalo

Ajavalo

Cáceres, Spain
    enjoy everything
    A little question: Would it be possible to make Speed Up and Invincibility work properly for Modern Sonic? They wouldn't be at all useless, not any more useless than they're for Classic Sonic, so there's no reason to not have them. After playing Dario's first mod, I noticed that those powerups were quite buggy (for example, Invincibility vanishes after 2-3 seconds), but why?

4. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Interesting idea: Did anyone try using Modern speed shoes with custom tracks enabled and see if the music changes to SA's speedup?

5. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

All life form data, successfully copied! Member
    At my home in Florida
    Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
    I've finally settled on a design for "Super" Metal Sonic in my Super Sonic Generations mod.
    Anyone who has seen previous videos / screenshots know that I had originally used a Red color scheme based on Metal Sonic Kai. I'm not using that one anymore.

I'd like to introduce the new "Super" Metal Sonic.
    Surprise! I completely ditched the whole "custom super form" idea. Instead, I made a Classic-styled Neo Metal Sonic model!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The textures may need minor improvements in a few spots. Also, I didn't include the belt, waist-plates, and cape. Otherwise, it looks close enough to Neo Metal Sonic, and the few differences don't look too out of place on a "Classic" version of the form.

Also, I'm working on a Classic Metal Sonic over Classic Sonic mod (goes with the Modern Metal Sonic I showed a few days ago.) I'll definitely be using this model as the playable Classic Metal Sonic's super form.

Have you already tried changing the <SkillHighSpeedTime> and <SkillUnbeatenTime> variables in Modern Sonic's parameter file (Sonic.prm.xml, which is located in #Sonic.ar.00)?
    <SkillHighSpeedTime> is set to 16.5 in Classic Sonic's paramter file (SonicClassic.prm.xml, which is located in #SonicClassic.ar.00).
    <SkillUnbeatenTime> is set to 16.8 in Classic Sonic's parameter file.
    Both are set to 5 in Modern Sonic's parameter file.

I haven't tested this myself, but if changing those doesn't fix anything, then I wouldn't know how to fix Modern Sonic's invincibility and speed up behavior.

6. Squidgy

Squidgy

Alright, I haven't posted here in a while, but that model has made me come out of my cave.

Joe, that is awesome. Seriously. I can't wait to see your Metal Sonic mod finished. You seem to crank out the best character mods.

And I'm a little late, but the new loading screen for your Super Sonic mod is a very nice touch.

7. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    A few things. I couldn't find mr Sun and mr Sky under Render Elements, and upon rendering I get this error:

It repeats those last two errors over and over, and I don't know what to do.

8. princeofknaves

princeofknaves

Detroit, Michigan
    mr Sun and mr Sky are Daylight system modifier settings. mental ray doesn't recognize VRay lights you have to use regular or photometric(preferably).

I'm not sure how familiar you are with 3ds Max nor am I a good teacher so please excuse the crap tutorial.

First download This. It's a modified version of the generate lightmap script so it uses standard lightingmap instead of VRay's as well as mental ray render presets I use.

-MUST BE DONE FIRST! OR DAYLIGHT WILL OVER EXPOSE
    extract to a folder, click Render Settings (1) and on the bottom click the drop down menu open the preset
    [​IMG]

Under The Create Tab go to the far right in the systems tab and select Daylight
    [​IMG]

Click anywhere to create the compass object drag to size it (to my knowledge has no effect on anything this is just used for the location subsystem) then releaseand the sun object will be attached to the mouse just click one more time to set
    [​IMG]

Now the Daylight system should be automatically selected goto the modifier tab and you will have sun and sky parameters click on the drop down and select mr Sun and mr Sky you will get prompts about enviroment settings just click ok
    [​IMG]

Now go Crazy modeling or import you geometry

now try to run the gen lightmap script. NOTE: you will want to turn down the final gather setting otherwise it will take DAYS!

9. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Awesome, thanks; I'll give that a try. Also, should I make my scene into one mesh before rendering? I'm still rendering some settings I tried at the moment, and I think it's making a light and shadow map for each object, which doesn't seem ideal.

10. princeofknaves

princeofknaves

Detroit, Michigan
    Actually it works better than you might think since Generation uses batch culling instead of BSP(I think, not 100% though). if it was all one mesh it would put a serious strain on GPU memory. anyways the static geometry instancer in the generations source code handles all that

11. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member

EDIT: I quoted this by accident the first time, sorry.

Sega renders over 8k-12k individual lightmaps for their stages. It's exactly what you want... How else would you stream it?

12. princeofknaves

princeofknaves

Detroit, Michigan
    that was my point

13. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Sorry, I quoted the wrong post. :v:

14. princeofknaves

princeofknaves

Detroit, Michigan
    yeah I've done that

15. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Sorry, I'm still relatively new to this.

It's rendering now, and appearing successful. I just got an error, "Error creating bitmap"

BTW, you said it was import to select that preset in the rendering setup first, so I did that and then minimized the window. Right or no?

16. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

All life form data, successfully copied! Member
    At my home in Florida
    Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
    Thanks. :D

Speaking of the Metal Sonic mod, I've finally fixed all of the major rigging problems on both the Modern and Classic models. (Below is an image of both on the title screen. Spoiler'd due to large image.
    [​IMG]

Both models are essentially perfect at this point. The only other things I'd have to do to "complete" the Metal Sonic mod are altering the Classic Neo Metal Sonic model to fit over Classic Super Sonic, and fully creating a model for Modern Neo Metal Sonic...

P.S. - Here's a video of the Classic Neo Metal Sonic rival battle.

17. princeofknaves

princeofknaves

Detroit, Michigan
    I get that too why I couldn't tell you I'm not a maxscript expert, or a novice for that matter, but it still should create the PNG texture in the folder you specified.

18. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Well then, that's gonna be a looot of clicking, haha.

EDIT: There has to be a better way, this constant clicking is getting annoying fast.

19. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

I have no idea what's going on. Member
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    I'd like to add to this by saying that the Power Sneakers theme seems to be merely a sped up version of the normal song, which is not the case with the PS themes in Vanilla Generations.

20. S0LV0

S0LV0

Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Actually, the drums have differences in them for the speedup variation.

Tell me exactly what the official speedup themes did differently.