don't click here

SonicGDK 1.30.000

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Xaklse, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I was talking about Sega land mines, actually. I mean know they don't anything against fan games. I just don't want a repeat of Street or Rage.

2. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    MegaGwolf featured your project in his Sonic Fan Showcase series:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHMaHN0DiYQ

3. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I'm not too worried though. Before I do anything I, I need to learn UScript for some of the other stuff.

4. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Well, it's not exactly GDK but it's pretty good that the engine itself is getting some knowledge across the interwebs, sooner or later we'll see more and more fangames beeing created with it. Still I'm kind of pity as the engine was show. Not saying that Green Hill Paradise is in any way near bad, but it doesn't get all the cool stuff that GDK allows you to do like 2.5D sections, for example.

5. Sorry, but I have no animation experience.

You can experiment with the controls, try to bind strafe and turn to the same key (Config/DefaultInput.ini). Left/right arrows have turning assigned if you need a reference.

Thanks for the link Lanzer. The video isn't about SonicGDK at all, but good to know that people like the level.

6. Raz

Raz

USA
    Hey I'm having trouble with extremely high cpu usage on idle- I've turned off realtime (the joystick) unchecked all the postprocessing and lightmass boxes under view > world properties- but still I have a 4-core processor with 37% being used when the scene is completely empty and just opened. Has anyone experienced this?

7. I have a Core i7 930 (4-core), only one core reaches the level of usage you mention, the others are idle.

8. Raz

Raz

USA
    Huh I guess its normal... I thought I had it solved a while back, but that was the GPU going nuts, had to turn off realtime fps.

Though if anyone does know a way to bring the blank scene down a few ticks, that'd be appreciated.

9. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member

10. May I suggest you adjust the scale of the whole level?

It's nice to see Planet Wisp with this kind of atmosphere, good work.

11. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I actually compared the level how it looks in Sonic Colors.I use a screen shot a Sonic model imported from Generations and scaled it down until it looked right.

12. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Besides the springs, I'm pretty sure that the scale is almost right (could use a bit of downscaling yeah, but just a bit). I mean, we can't forget that Sonic isn't tall at all.

Oh yeah, Chishado posted a cool video recently:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3XMFwwHRBQ&feature=plcp

Besides the lighting and the Unreal Tournament objects, looks pretty neat if you ask me.

13. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I love seeing these projects getting some very cool level design introduced! However, it still is difficult for me to really want to play any of what's going on here, though because of the camera, floatiness and Sonic's extremely loose low-maneuver handling. Is there anything that can be done by the individuals that are making projects in this engine to change and improve these elements?

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Silly question. Of course there is! UDK is open source!

15. Raz

Raz

USA
    Hey, how did you get the rings to be generated along the spline path, and what are those camera's for?

16. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Unfortunately wrong, since TEEEEECHNICALLY UDK free doesn't have the source code, however it DOES have a bunch of unrealscript files that control some in-game aspects and references for creating actors and modifying physics data.

Nitpicking aside, modifying SGDK to improve it is totally possible, and Azu and I are planning on doing so... Correct me if I'm wrong but Xak might be as well ;P

Keep in mind good controls can make or break a game, but level design can as well.

17. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Whoops, I meant GDK.

18. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    What aspects of the gameplay will you be improving ?

19. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    This level design is really wonky. It's like he was trying to do multiple paths, but instead just made a whole bunch of ways to take the same path. In real life, that'd be like putting three onramps side-by-side that merge together and enter the same highway.

20. Yeah, you can change the code or you can just change lots of available values through the game editor.

"SGDK Spline Actors" can automatically create objects along the path.